BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2023, 01:42 AM   #1
tomcoleman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

BMW 2022 iX3 Different charged batteries

hi - im new here but wanted to highlight or ask this question

when i charge at home (with car set to 100%) i get about 230ish miles range.

If i charge on the motorway at a 50kw charger i get 305 mile range

why is this?

Home charger is a Zappi 7kw charger and in the BMW app/and car when charging at home it says its hit 100% charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
BimmerStanMan
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A5; iX3 MSport Pro soon.

It may just be down to range calculation based on previous journeys. Motorway driving, if sensible, is more efficient than town driving. Suggested range really is of no value.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 03:33 AM   #3
tomcoleman
Registered
Rep

Very annoying that on a full charge it should just show you what a full charge can get you (miles wise) then as you drive it re-calcs.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #4
Bavaria02
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

It's exactly the same for a car with a petrol or diesel engine, it calculate the same way, based on the latest consumption.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Compared to the i3, the range estimation on the iX3 is pretty poor in my experience. Yes, both systems look back to previous range in coming to an estimate but the iX3 is prone to under estimating. I have no idea why this is the case and I confess that I have just got used to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 04:36 AM   #6
tomcoleman
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria02 View Post
It's exactly the same for a car with a petrol or diesel engine, it calculate the same way, based on the latest consumption.
not sure thats correct.

example..

if i fill my petrol car up its says 300 miles from when i turn the engine on, if i fill it up again once its empty it will say 300 miles again and so on.

yet on the eletric ix3 if i fully charge to 100% it will say 300 miles on day, then i charge again to 100% and it says 230 miles then i charge again and it says 260 miles.

its very inconsistent. Why on a full charge doesnt it just say 300 miles each time and depending on how you drive THEN calc distance.

Not use the previous trips!!! so stupid.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 05:32 AM   #7
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
not sure thats correct.

example..

if i fill my petrol car up its says 300 miles from when i turn the engine on, if i fill it up again once its empty it will say 300 miles again and so on.

yet on the eletric ix3 if i fully charge to 100% it will say 300 miles on day, then i charge again to 100% and it says 230 miles then i charge again and it says 260 miles.

its very inconsistent. Why on a full charge doesnt it just say 300 miles each time and depending on how you drive THEN calc distance.

With respect, you’re wrong. The estimated range on my 640d can vary by quite a margin when I fill up. If I’ve been driving a lot of economical motorway miles, it will be around 600 miles, alternatively if it’s been mainly urban it will be nearer 500.

The big difference I find between a diesel/petrol car is the tendency to consider that you’ve got “half a tank” of fuel left, whereas with an EV you get fixated on the remaining (calculated) range as opposed to “half a charge.”

My wife’s iX3 hardly ever shows more than 230 est range, whereas the average consumption is 3.7 miles/kWh and on some journeys is often closer to 4 - which at 74kWh usable capacity, equates to something around the quoted range.

I guess the estimated calculation is always better to err on the cautious side otherwise people would become over confident and get caught out.

I don’t have a problem with the calculation using recent performance as a guide (makes sense) and then dynamically adjusting it as you use up the current charge. If it used a generic WLTP range as a preset and then dynamically adjusted (mostly down for the vast majority of people) as you consumed the charge, it would be hugely criticised….
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2023, 05:33 AM   #8
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
not sure thats correct.

example..

Whether it is an EV, Petrol, Diesel or hybrid they all have their own way of calculating the available range and my previous diesel would provide different values for a full tank and I used to fill it every time. I never got what it said, and it didn't worry me that the range was almost always going down quicker than the distance I was covering. I would estimate that out of the 600 it would often tell me, I would get maybe 300-350 before filling up again at a quarter of a tank with maybe 100-120 miles of range left.

Without a crystal ball, none of the EV manufacturers can tell what you are going to do on your next journey. If they kept stating the WLTP range then we would all be complaining like hell.

My stated range on the odd time I charge to 100% (excluding winter) is usually around 200 miles. This will be prior to a longer trip and I know for a fact on a warm day that the car is capable of well over 240 miles as I have done a 240 mile round trip in a day with 40 miles remaining.

I often see the range increase once into a journey and that is simply working with the current miles per kWh and remaining kWh.

I don't know if it would provide a better estimate if I used the BMW navigation but having given up with that after a few weeks with the car, I will take what it gives me and stick with Android Auto.

I would agree that the iX3 tends to under estimate as my partner's i3 seems a little more generous but even that will vary widely based on the outside temperature.

I tend to do some quick calculations based on 70 x miles per kWh so 3 gives me 210 and if at 50% charge I know I should have 105 miles if I stay at 3 without starting to panic.

I am sure you will get used to it and looking at the forums for some other EV's we seem to be doing pretty well on the issue front (touch wood) with our iX3's.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
not sure thats correct.

example..

As other posters have stated, previous use (last few miles as a rolling calculation) is the only way to give a running estimate.

Petrol and diesel works that way, fill figures for range vary according to previous mileage before filling. Can vary by over 100 miles, (does on my car) according to that rolling calculation of the mpg average, ahead of fuelling.

BMW do state there is a predictive element in EV range calculations, but due to actual consumption, (miles/kWh) there is no other way than using a similar rolling calculation to ICE, for previous driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
hi - im new here but wanted to highlight or ask this question

when i charge at home (with car set to 100%) i get about 230ish miles range.

If i charge on the motorway at a 50kw charger i get 305 mile range

why is this?

Home charger is a Zappi 7kw charger and in the BMW app/and car when charging at home it says its hit 100% charge.
Hello,

I believe it’s because the car uses a blend of AI, machine learning and your historical driving data to make a decision on displaying range. So because you’ve already driven that day to a location beside the motorway which has a charger, the car now has data of your driving style and habit beforehand to get to that point, so gives you that better figure of range. I could be wrong but that’s how I understand it.

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:30 AM   #11
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately the reality is the Ix3 range typically just won’t compare to non EV cars.

Due to a reduced range the Ix3 estimated range is therefore more sensitive to what you may have been used to.

I’d rather have a realistic maximum range based on current usage, than a theoretical one. I am by no means the most efficient driver, my average consumption is 2.8 miles per KWh and therefore my maximum realistic range will be around 210 miles. On a longer run I see nearer 3 miles per KWh so that helps, but I do find I have to plan more ahead in case charging out is required.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello,

I believe it’s because the car uses a blend of AI, machine learning and your historical driving data to make a decision on displaying range. So because you’ve already driven that day to a location beside the motorway which has a charger, the car now has data of your driving style and habit beforehand to get to that point, so gives you that better figure of range. I could be wrong but that’s how I understand it.

Many thanks,
I'm pretty sure it is nowhere near as sophisticated as that. I would be amazed if there is any AI or machine learning involved. It is just an algorithm that looks at the last "x" hours of historic data to make a guess at the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:00 AM   #13
EVGirl
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mini SE EV, iX3 M Sport Pro

We've had a few longish trips out this last week and done a couple of charges to 100%. Each time the range was showing 242 miles.
Due to the very warm weather we've been getting 3.9/4 miles/kHw which is 290 miles range!
Car has now done 5k miles and is one year old today. Needless to say we are delighted with it.
Appreciate 0