BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
beemerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x1

Battle of the EVs: iX1 or iX3 for almost the same price if keeping for > 7 years?

I'm looking for a family SUV to keep for > 7 years as I'm paying outright, and I'm hoping an EV with less moving parts will give me less issues with after the warranty/service package ends (neighbour's Tesla Model S is 8 years old and has no major issues aside from swapping out the tyres).

A lower specced iX3 has been released in Australia that puts it at the same price of the top specced iX1 I was originally looking at. The lower specced iX3 is just a lower trim and kept the same 210kW RWD motor as the top specced variant, for example, it lost the Heads Up Display (does anyone know if its possible to add back the Heads Up Display (610) for a cost? ).

Some initial thoughts comparing the iX1 and iX3: iX1 newer model vs iX3 runout model, same cabin size, similar EV range (iX1 440km iX3 460km), iX1 has no HVAC physical buttons, iX1 has a non-functional centre armrest, iX1 Sensatec seats vs iX3 Vernasca seats, iX1 ID 9 vs iX3 ID 7.
https://www.licarco.com/comparison/c...w-ix1-xdrive30

Which car would you gents pick as a keeper?

Note: This is crossposted on the iX1 forum to get some impartiality.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
Bluefoz
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Ltd Ed., iX3 Pro

I’m answering your post despite not having set foot in an iX1, so my opinion might not be too relevant!

We bought an iX3 top spec model earlier this year outright, it was a year old BMW approved used car with 7k miles and something like £18k cheaper than list price.

The top spec adds a few options that are, in my opinion, more than “nice to haves” - one being head up display. I’ve had it on 3 cars now, the first by sheer fluke, but what I thought would be a gimmick (like gesture control is!) I wouldn’t be without it.

Other than the initial excitement of having a brand new car (I presume this is what you’re proposing) why not let BMW or an initial owner take the hit on depreciation; it doesn’t stay new for long!

I’ve also read some reports of the fit & finish / quality of materials in the iX1 not being of a similar quality to that of the 3 - but as I say, I have no experience.

Both I’m sure are brilliant cars….
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:04 AM   #3
miksen
Rep
Drives: iX3-G08 (ex 320D-F31, 135-E88)

Will you have anyone in the backseat on a regular basis? Then go with the iX3, as the backseat in the iX1 isn't comfortable for anyone but small children (it's too shallow & too close to the floor).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:07 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksen View Post
Will you have anyone in the backseat on a regular basis? Then go with the iX3, as the backseat in the iX1 isn't comfortable for anyone but small children (it's too shallow & too close to the floor).
That was my thought too. You say it is a family car, so that implies children, and they have a nasty habit of getting bigger. They might be fine in the back on an iX1 right now, but will they fit in 7 years time? Also if they are in child seats, getting them in and out will be easier in the iX3.

I'm 6'3" tall, and I would be quite happy taking a long trip in the back of the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:57 AM   #5
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Have you test driven both?

Anecdotally things to look out for:
- ride comfort in each
- quality of materials / feel/ fit and finish

Size-wise I understand the cabins are about the same but:
- rear seat is shallower in iX1. iX3 rear seats are great even for adults.
- boot is smaller in iX1

iX1 interior looks nicer with the clean infotainment. The drawback is that it's touch operated.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #6
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Although I don't have an IX1, I do have an 2.0 litre petrol X1 M sport premier Pro and I'm currently in negotiations about getting in to an IX3 M Sport Pro. The X1 it's a great car but you definitely feel like you're in the lower X model. The interior isn't up to the same quality as an X3, the infotainment is frustrating without there being an idrive controller, the safety systems are overly sensitive, the climate control is rubbish (I'm constantly changing temps every time I'm in the car as it cannot keep a consistent temperature), etc, etc.

However the head up display is better in the X1, the IX3's feels a little dated now. I think the styling of the X1 it's much better, the X3 is now showing its age, but overall I think it's a better built and a more premium car, otherwise I wouldn't be considering the swap.

Interior size wise, there's nothing in it. The IX3 is slightly wider but the rear is about the same, remember mine is a petrol so doesn't suffer with the raised floor problem.

If you have any specific question please just ask.

The deal I've been offered is hard to turn down, but it does make me wonder about resale in the future. Also this forum is very quiet. Now this could be a good thing as there may not be any problems with them, or it could more likely be there's just not that many of them about for the owners to go looking for forums. I'm going lean towards the former.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
Zerouali
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The iX3 just feels higher quality than the ix1, particularly on the interior. I think the iX3 has a better ride quality as well, much less harsh.

The big advantage to the ix1 is it’s available as a dual motor car
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:17 AM   #8
Andras6800
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

This decision mostly depending on your preferences. I was in the same shoes 9 months before. I ordered an iX3.

My preferences was:

Cargo size: iX3 has 510L cargo size vs iX1 has "only" 490L

Battery: iX3 Brutto 80 kWh vs iX1 brutto 68 kWh. Here I have to highlight, due to drag co-efficient the consumption of iX1 is lower. But, due to lower Battery voltage as iX3 (at iX1 the nominal is 286V) you may face with limited charging speed on DC stations. This affects the low current (125 A) charging stations. Here in Hungary, we have several 50 kW DC charting stations what can only charge by 35 - 36 kWh. Anyhow, iX3 has longer range than iX1.

OS: iX1 had OS8 vs iX3 has OS7. Since then, OS8.5 and OS9 announced. From dealer I heard about negative customer feedbacks for OS8.5. They had several clients who visited the service to roll back to OS8. I do not know, what is the situation with OS9. Anyhow OS8 looks better. More futuristic and I am in love with curved display. So this caused for me some sleepless nights. OS8 definitely has some BEV advantages: Current setting from app, SOC limitation from myBMW app, on time SOC sync to navigation (iX3 updates only at stops and low SOC). + SoC % visualisation by number. Those features not yet available at iX3, and most probably will be never available. In return there is no iDrive controller in iX1. When I watched consciously my iDrive usage during driving, I was even surprised, how many times I am using it instead of touch screen. Personally for me, the biggest disadvantage of OS8, the missing physical buttons for AC. The graphic and temperature adjusting progress visualisation is quul. But I have bad experiences with touch screen AC controlling while driving.

All together, for the same price for me, iX3 is a better value for mony option. If you are configuring them to the same setup, iX1 is even a bit more expensive. Or at least it was in janurary this year when I made my decision.
Appreciate 0