BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #1
Tgrizzle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Match Up 8DSP Install

Hi all - bought the Match Up 8DSP for my 2021 X3 M40i along with the plug and play cable harness and power connector kit. I was taking a look at installing and got a little stumped on how to connect the power cables to the battery and chassis.

The thing tripping me up when connecting the positive cable to the battery is the red plastic casing around the battery. Do I just cut this plastic to allow an opening for the cable to go through? I imagine yes but want to confirm before I start cutting stuff.

The negative battery cable I imagine just goes between the chassis and one of the nuts already on the car.

I did search the forums and did see some threads on installation but couldn’t find anyone going into much detail about the power connections so would appreciate any guidance people can provide, otherwise may just have a shop install the amp but hoping to avoid paying $150 for 30 mins of labor given how plug and play this system supposedly is.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrizzle View Post
Hi all - bought the Match Up 8DSP for my 2021 X3 M40i along with the plug and play cable harness and power connector kit. I was taking a look at installing and got a little stumped on how to connect the power cables to the battery and chassis.

The thing tripping me up when connecting the positive cable to the battery is the red plastic casing around the battery. Do I just cut this plastic to allow an opening for the cable to go through? I imagine yes but want to confirm before I start cutting stuff..
Don’t cut off the red plastic. Check out this video and see where they connect the power to the side positive distribution block start watching from 9 minutes into the video:

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:

The thing tripping me up when connecting the positive cable to the battery is the red plastic casing around the battery. Do I just cut this plastic to allow an opening for the cable to go through? I imagine yes but want to confirm before I start cutting stuff.

The negative battery cable I imagine just goes between the chassis and one of the nuts already on the car.

I did search the forums and did see some threads on installation but couldn’t find anyone going into much detail about the power connections so would appreciate any guidance people can provide, otherwise may just have a shop install the amp but hoping to avoid paying $150 for 30 mins of labor given how plug and play this system supposedly is.

Read over this thread, pm me if you have any questions

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019299
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
Tgrizzle
Registered
Rep

Thank you both I was able to complete the install. So easy now in hindsight!

My amp came pre-tuned. The sound is definitely overall better, but the bass is very strong. Have to turn it down to the second lowest notch in the sound settings. Are there any tunes out there for my car that are also "plug and play" that I can test out?

Even though I have a 2021 X3 M40i with the Match Up 8DSP, I downloaded the Match Up 7DSP X4 tune from the official site since they don't have any Match Up 8DSP or X3 tunes but haven't loaded it onto the amp yet as I'm not sure if I can/should use this?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #5
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Where is everyone buying from? Is there any way to get a discount from being a BMWCCA or XBimmers member?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:48 PM   #6
Tgrizzle
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Where is everyone buying from? Is there any way to get a discount from being a BMWCCA or XBimmers member?
I bought from allwoodsaudio on eBay. Took about 10 days to receive it from the UK. Excellent service, I would recommend messaging them your VIN so they can confirm it works for your car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23466523320...mis&media=COPY
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you both I was able to complete the install. So easy now in hindsight!

My amp came pre-tuned. The sound is definitely overall better, but the bass is very strong. Have to turn it down to the second lowest notch in the sound settings. Are there any tunes out there for my car that are also "plug and play" that I can test out?

Even though I have a 2021 X3 M40i with the Match Up 8DSP, I downloaded the Match Up 7DSP X4 tune from the official site since they don't have any Match Up 8DSP or X3 tunes but haven't loaded it onto the amp yet as I'm not sure if I can/should use this?

The calibration on their site leaves a lot to be desired. The shop that did mine used a JL MAX to do the RTA. If you dont have one available, copy a white noise on a USB drive and cal each speaker individually. You'll need to use a measuring tape to get the distances to your listening position to calculate the time delays
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 08:25 AM   #8
TacosRule!
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post

rgsport here on the forum
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
Rob1261
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

This is the same Amp as the BimmerTech Alpha One for G01 ($1450, now on sale for $1300). The difference with purchasing the BimmerTech is that it comes complete with Custom mounting bracket, RAM Harness with power (no need to touch the battery or Wiring Kit), preset sound profiles. It is full plug and play.

No, I don’t work for BimmerTech. I actually purchased the 8DSP from AllwoodsAudio on eBay. That’s how I know what is missing from their kit. Their kit includes the Match Up 8DSP, BMW 1.7 RAM Harness and Amp wiring kit, because you will need to create the Amp power adapter and connect positive directly to battery and negative to the body. You will also need to figure out how to mount it. Based on their recommendation I used Heavy Duty 4” Velcro strips. It worked ok but did come off several times. I also needed to quickly change the default sound profile (need Windows laptop with USB A and DSP software v5 for 8DSP from Audiotec Fischer website). For some reason the default profile has Subwoofer L & R at about 90%. Unlistenable for bass heavy music. I changed it to around 50% and it’s much better. I will be looking for other sound profiles to load.

So yes, in hindsight I wish I had just waited for the Alpha One to go on sale. Like now (Black Friday). Also the video provided earlier in the thread is not the one I was given for the battery power cable install. It was this one, below. It is much closer to my 2020 G01 X3 setup.

https://youtu.be/u6aOM_fOmVA?si=cm9NO7Buhg5aJVkr Go to around the 12 minute mark for battery part. It also helps to use YouTube closed caption with translate to English on.

Feel free to contact with any questions. I also have lots of pics I need to post of the process from A to Z.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:27 PM   #10
Tgrizzle
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1261 View Post
This is the same Amp as the BimmerTech Alpha One for G01 ($1450, now on sale for $1300). The difference with purchasing the BimmerTech is that it comes complete with Custom mounting bracket, RAM Harness with power (no need to touch the battery or Wiring Kit), preset sound profiles. It is full plug and play.

No, I don’t work for BimmerTech. I actually purchased the 8DSP from AllwoodsAudio on eBay. That’s how I know what is missing from their kit. Their kit includes the Match Up 8DSP, BMW 1.7 RAM Harness and Amp wiring kit, because you will need to create the Amp power adapter and connect positive directly to battery and negative to the body. You will also need to figure out how to mount it. Based on their recommendation I used Heavy Duty 4” Velcro strips. It worked ok but did come off several times. I also needed to quickly change the default sound profile (need Windows laptop with USB A and DSP software v5 for 8DSP from Audiotec Fischer website). For some reason the default profile has Subwoofer L & R at about 90%. Unlistenable for bass heavy music. I changed it to around 50% and it’s much better. I will be looking for other sound profiles to load.

So yes, in hindsight I wish I had just waited for the Alpha One to go on sale. Like now (Black Friday). Also the video provided earlier in the thread is not the one I was given for the battery power cable install. It was this one, below. It is much closer to my 2020 G01 X3 setup.

https://youtu.be/u6aOM_fOmVA?si=cm9NO7Buhg5aJVkr Go to around the 12 minute mark for battery part. It also helps to use YouTube closed caption with translate to English on.

Feel free to contact with any questions. I also have lots of pics I need to post of the process from A to Z.

Thanks
Did you end up finding a good sound profile to use? I ended up finding one on the forum that I’ve been using for a few months and it’s a big improvement over the stock speakers. But wondering if there’s any others I can try out!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 06:27 PM   #11
ArcSecond
n00b
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i

Where did you find the sound profile? I just hooked up to mine and it deleted the curve that bimmertech loaded to the amp...
Appreciate 0