BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
daimoku
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 w/N20 engine

Exclamation Dash lights - DSC, ABS, brakes, check engine, parking brake, airbag

Brought our F25 to the dealership because the N20 timing chain failed. Now, it has a different problem(s) that was/were not present prior to the dealership. Here are the error codes:

• P15B8: Check report for description.
• P15DA: Check report for description.
• P152B: Check report for description.
• P152A: Check report for description.
• P1505: Idle-Speed Control Valve Closing Solenoid Control Circuit Electrical
• C9542D: Status: History - Lane inclination actual steer angle: Timeout
• D017A3: Status: Active - Signal error (actual number Geberflanken Rad, ID: AVL QUAN EES WHL) Sender: DSC Modul - not valid
• D017C5: Status: Active - Signal error (actual wheel speed, ID: AVL RPM WHL) Sender: DSC Modul - not valid
• 480712: Status: Active - wheel speed sensor - front left - electrical error
• 801A4A: Status: History - Deactivation IRS and Tilt sensor by Customer function
• E11420: Status: History - Instrument cluster: ServiceCall cannot be carried out

I checked the battery voltage and it measures 12.5 volts.

Any advice where to start or can you point me to troubleshooting/diagnostic resources?

Thank you!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would start by returning it to the dealership saying their warranty repair sucks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

That voltage with car on or off?
What's it with car on?

I believe the reserve capacity is what may cause these issues with an old battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
daimoku
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
That voltage with car on or off?
What's it with car on?

I believe the reserve capacity is what may cause these issues with an old battery.
That voltage was with the car off.

I suspect the battery because:
1. I had to crank the vehicle 20+ times for the temporary maneuvering procedure to load it on the tow truck.
2. It's the factory original battery from August 2012

I'll measure voltage with the car on tomorrow. I can also do a load test on the battery.

Dealer states it tried a wheel speed sensor without success and that the DSC module needs to be replaced (for $1990).
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed replace the battery. Years of participating in these forums has shown over and over again it's always the battery when the electronics suddenly begin to freak out.

(Also check cables and attachments and such, cables can actually go bad, more often on cars when they are under the hood but do still pay attention).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
daimoku
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed replace the battery. Years of participating in these forums has shown over and over again it's always the battery when the electronics suddenly begin to freak out.

(Also check cables and attachments and such, cables can actually go bad, more often on cars when they are under the hood but do still pay attention).
Voltage measures:
Maximum 14.50 volts with car idling - so, alternator output appears okay
Minimum 10.67 volts when starter turns over
12.4x volts prior to starting the vehicle today

I'll inspect the cables.

Also, the passenger restraint system throws an error message "Fault in airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter" when the engine is stopped (image attached). Parking brake will not engage either.

We've only had the vehicle ~20k miles/8 months and never had these errors until the dealer replaced the timing chain. Of course, dealer is claiming it's coincidental.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimoku View Post
Quote:

Voltage measures:
Maximum 14.50 volts with car idling - so, alternator output appears okay
Minimum 10.67 volts when starter turns over
12.4x volts prior to starting the vehicle today

I'll inspect the cables.

Also, the passenger restraint system throws an error message "Fault in airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter" when the engine is stopped (image attached). Parking brake will not engage either.

We've only had the vehicle ~20k miles/8 months and never had these errors until the dealer replaced the timing chain. Of course, dealer is claiming it's coincidental.
It could be coincidental, or they left the ignition on without a tender and depleted the battery... and that was its last breath...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #8
daimoku
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
It could be coincidental, or they left the ignition on without a tender and depleted the battery... and that was its last breath...
Yeah, I'm leaning towards battery depletion. There was another error code for the steering wheel calibration when we picked up the vehicle. Error has not returned since I did the calibration procedure and cleared the code.

I'm going to have a true load test done right now. Will update.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      11-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I'm going to have a true load test done right now. Will update.
Nice. This should say for sure how it's doing. Battery in the car or on a bench?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
daimoku
Rep

Quote:
Nice. This should say for sure how it's doing. Battery in the car or on a bench?
Battery passed the load test. It was still in the vehicle.

After driving home from the load test, I turned off the engine and I started inspecting the wiring. I noticed a solenoid clicking noise coming from the DSC/ABS module so I made a 13 second Youtube video:

Is this a normal or abnormal sound?

Last edited by daimoku; 11-03-2018 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #11
Devia
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Fail

You ever found out what was wrong. for having the same problem with my f10
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
daimoku
Rep

So far, I've only checked the battery and fuses. The dealership claims it tried another wheel speed sensor and that the DSC module needs replaced. It can only be the wheel speed sensor, wiring or DSC module at this point. We got busy during the holidays and I haven't had an opportunity to repair it yet.

Any luck with your F10?

I also found this:

SI B61 21 15
General Electrical Systems August 2017
Technical Service

The Instrument Cluster Displays Various Check Control Messages

New information provided by this revision is preceded by this symbol .

This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B61 21 15 dated September 2016

What's New:

• Attached procedure updated to include installation of cover

• Parts information updated to include cover

• Warranty Section Flat Rate Units updated

MODEL
F25 (X3) F26 (X4)
Produced up to July 31, 2016

situation
The instrument cluster displays various check control messages. This includes messages for the PDC (Park Distance Control), DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and windshield washer system.

There can be many different fault codes stored in the vehicle, including:

Control Module Fault Code Fault Description
ICM_25 4827BA ICM: Procedure error detected
ACSM4 C9542D Signal (driving speed, 0x19F) invalid, transmitter ICM
DSC_25 480715 Wheel speed sensor: Voltage supply, short circuit, front right
ICM_25 D017C6 Signal (actual wheel speed, 46.0.1) undefined, transmitter DSC
MEVD172Y 1B0A60 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed under load implausible
IHKA25 E71442 Interface instrument panel (distance travelled, kilometer's, 0x330): Signal invalid
DSC_25 480AA3 Wheel speed sensor: Wrong variant, front right
MEVD172Y 1B0A21 Rough road detection: No wheel speed signal received
ICM_25 D017A3 DSC interface (actual number of sensor edges wheel, 64.1.2): Signal invalid
DSC_25 48068C Transfer box: Temporary fault, temperature
MEVD172Y 1B0A67 Vehicle speed, front/right wheel speed sensor, signal change: Not plausible
ICM_25 D017C5 Interface DSC (actual speed, wheel, 46.0.1): Signal invalid
MEVD172Y 1B0A61 Driving speed, plausibility: Minimum speed in coasting/overrun mode implausible
EMF_10 D3AC8D DSC interface (status, hydraulic function, 25D): Signal invalid
ICM_25 48002C ICM, ACC: Interface DSC
DSC_25 480AA6 Wheel speed sensor: Plausibility, signal fault, front right
DSC_25 D36D44 Signal (longitudinal torque distribution, front axle/rear axle, 19.3.4) invalid, transmitter VTG
MEVD172Y 1B0A62 Driving speed, plausibility: Road speed signal implausible
HUD_01 D86C07 Interface INSTR. CL. (kilometer reading, 0x330): signal invalid
DSC_25 480AA5 Wheel speed sensor: Plausibility, signal spike, front right
DSC_25 480713 Wheel speed sensor: Plausibility, direction of rotation, front right
PDC_01 E2170C Interface INSTR. CL. (outside temperature, 0x2CA): signal invalid
ICM_25 D0142C Instrument panel interface (ambient temperature, 252.1.4): Signal invalid
MEVD172Y 10B101 Outside temperature sensor, electrical: Short circuit to B+
MEVD172Y 10BA41 Outside temperature sensor, plausibility: Ambient temperature less than model temperature
KOMB01 B7F655 Instrument panel: Outside temperature sensor Short circuit to B+
DSC_25 D3542C KOMBI interface (outside temperature, ID: 0X2CA): Signal invalid
TRSVC01 CAAC0F Interface INSTR. CL. (outside temperature, 0x2CA): signal invalid
IHKA25 E71417 KOMBI interface (outside temperature, 0x2CA): Signal invalid

cause
The wiring harness below the micro filter housing (right front area of the bulkhead) is damaged from washer fluid leaking into the harness.

correction
Check and replace the right front "repair" wiring harness (improved part) listed below.

procedure
Perform a vehicle test with ISTA and if the faults listed above are stored, proceed to the next step.

Inspect the wiring for damage.

Remove the right front wheel and wheel arch cover.

Remove the micro filter housing.

Inspect the harness coming though the bulkhead in the right front engine compartment area for any signs of swollen wires (remove the electrical tape to expose the wires).

If the wires are swollen, refer to the attached procedure to install a repair wiring harness and to check and correct the washer fluid line leak.

Always connect a BMW approved battery charger / power supply(SI B04 23 10).

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Quantity
Refer to ETK Repair wiring harness section with foamed grommet for connection in vehicle interior 1
61 12 6 825 706 Cover 1

warranty information
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks.
Defect Code: 6111900100

Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description:
00 63 789 131 FRU (Gas engines) Check wiring harness for engine compartment on the right and install repair wiring harness section with grommet (includes connecting an approved battery charger/power supply and performing a vehicle test) (Plus work)

136 FRU (Diesel engines)

Note: Please claim for the applicable gas or diesel engine FRU "time" allowance listed above, the current KSD2 is not updated with this information. KSD2 dated 08/2017 will have these updated FRU allowances.

Other Repairs

If the wiring is found not to be the cause and performing the ISTA diagnostics and related test plans results with other eligible and covered work, claim this work with the applicable defect code and labor operations listed in KSD2.

Overlapping Labor Procedure – Other Repairs

If invoicing the KSD2 flat rate labor operation codes for other repair work results in overlapping labor, for those flat rate labor operations that are affected, you can now:

Replace the stated KSD2 "FRU allowance" with a "reduced FRU value" to eliminate the overlapping labor.

For help in identifying the overlapping labor, please refer to the AIR FRU Plausibility Check (Overlapping Labor Tool) that is located in the AIR Client.

Eligible other repair work being claimed under a different defect code will require separate punch times.

On the repair order and in the claim comment section, please identify and itemize those labor operations being claimed with a "reduced FRU value."
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
jasonl21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Angry ABS Sensors and warning lights

The same exact thing happened to my Wife's 2013 X3. The timing chain guides snapped and took out the engine. Long story short we have the same exact problems with all of our warning lights related to the brake system! The dealerships are definitely shady! We never had any problems with our braking system before the engine needed to be replaced!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #14
daimoku
Rep

I wanted to write a conclusion post to help others who come across this.

To summarize:
1. N20 timing chain (guides) failed abruptly. Independent mechanic thought we needed engine + turbo + timing chain replacement. BMW dealership replaced only the timing chain and flushed the oil ~8 months ago. Engine and turbo have been fine since. We were able to get this covered under the extended warranty.

2. When we had the vehicle at the independent mechanic, he read the error codes and gave us a list. Later, the BMW dealership told us,
"We've completed the timing chain replacement on the X3. It runs fine now, so thankfully the engine is ok. There's an unrelated problem though. The DSC control module has an internal fault which is causing a bunch of warning lights on the dash (brake, dsc, 4x4). We checked power to the module (ok) & ran a diagnostic test which concluded the DSC module needs to be replaced. The price to replace it is $1990 plus tax. If you choose to not have this performed it is ready for pick up."
These error codes did not exist when we had it at the independent mechanic and the vehicle was towed directly from the indy shop to the dealer.

3. The error codes in my initial post and dash lights above were indeed due to a faulty wheel speed sensor (WSS). I finally replaced it yesterday with ATE 34526869292 (OEM part) and all the dash lights/error codes are gone. WSS is fastened by a single 5 mm hex screw.

A few additional notes about the WSS. Old WSS use the Hall effect and typically measure ~1k Ohms resistance. Newer magneto-resistive WSS, like the F25 uses, cannot be tested that way. The magneto resistive sensors need to be powered up and the waveform must be examined with an oscilloscope. I also could not find the F25 DSC module pinout to probe the DSC wiring harness. So, I ended up blindly ordering the WSS and replaced the driver front WSS which was indicated by the error codes. You could also probe the WSS connector in the wheel well and/or use INPA to assist in diagnosis by examining the live wheel speed sensor data.

Many folks just swap the WSS from one side to another. If the error codes change correspondingly then you know you have a faulty WSS. If not, you'll have to look at the wiring and DSC module.

Last edited by daimoku; 08-19-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
MPDev2.50
      03-03-2024, 01:54 PM   #15
Shaun225
Rep
Drives: F25 x3

Quote:
Battery passed the load test. It was still in the vehicle.

After driving home from the load test, I turned off the engine and I started inspecting the wiring. I noticed a solenoid clicking noise coming from the DSC/ABS module so I made a 13 second Youtube video:

Is this a normal or abnormal sound?
Did you find out if this is a normal noise, mine is making the same sound?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:35 AM   #16
daimoku
Rep

Never changed the DSC module...ours still makes that clicking noise 5 years later, but everything seems fine.

We do get a code 4809AB DSC Under-voltage power supply Global with no dash warning lights; not sure if that's related.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 05:21 PM   #17
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Don't forget about the ground strap that connects to your transmission, closer to then transfer-case side, passenger side. Not exactly what could be wrong, but they do tend to corrode, fail, and cause messy issues
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:09 AM   #18
daimoku
Rep

Thanks. Good reminder about that ground connection. Does seem like it could be a bad ground causing the undervoltage. Recently got ISTA so I'll also have to see if there's a diagnostic for the DSC module.
Appreciate 0