BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
sknight37
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I test drove a couple 2019 X3 xDrive30i and each had the "Sport, Comfort, and Eco Pro" buttons as shown in the photo below.

When I asked the rep if he had any X3s with Dynamic Damper Control, he said the option is uncommon and X3 would have to be ordered with that option.

I've read through forums and watched review videos that suggest the Dynamic Damper Control (or better yet the Dynamic Handling Package since the cost is only a little more for the whole package) is a "must have" option for a smoother ride around town.

Can anyone feedback your experiences? It would seem all the X3s I've seen have the Sport, Comfort and Eco Pro buttons, but no Dynamic Damper Control.

Cheers

Last edited by sknight37; 01-17-2019 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Attached image
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #24
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I have the Adaptive M suspension in my M40i but I never use the Adaptive mode, I find it generally too soft. I also never use the iDrive nav - i always use google maps via CarPlay, so i think that reduces the effectiveness of Adaptive M even further since its my understanding that it partly relies on you using the car's nav system. I'd be curious to drive a non Adaptive M equipped M40i to compare. I've said this before, BMW's suspension options are way too complicated to understand, the marketing around them is totally confusing.
My understanding is that the adaptive suspension is working and active all the time, even if the drive mode is not in Adaptive. For example, in Comfort drive mode, the adaptive suspension will help reduce jittering when car is running over uneven surface. When in Sport, it will help reduce body roll.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #25
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight37 View Post
I test drove a couple 2019 X3 xDrive30i and each had the "Sport, Comfort, and Eco Pro" buttons as shown in the photo below.

When I asked the rep if he had any X3s with Dynamic Damper Control, he said the option is uncommon and X3 would have to be ordered with that option.

I've read through forums and watched review videos that suggest the Dynamic Damper Control (or better yet the Dynamic Handling Package since the cost is only a little more for the whole package) is a "must have" option for a smoother ride around town.

Can anyone feedback your experiences? It would seem all the X3s I've seen have the Sport, Comfort and Eco Pro buttons, but no Dynamic Damper Control.

Cheers

I'll share my perspective, based on a 15 minute test drive of a non-DHP 30i with 19 inch wheels vs the 30i I ordered (with DHP and 19's)

The test car soaked up the bumps, but was more wallowy than I expected in terms of squat/dive and cornering lean. When I took delivery of my car, I immediately noticed a slightly firmer, more controlled suspension in Comfort relative to the test car. With the dynamic dampers from DHP, Sport mode firms it up just a bit more, but it's still quite comfortable. So it really depends on what you consider "smooth" - bump-absorbing or controlled.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #26
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:

Cheers

That’s exactly what I want to know also! Kind of confusing
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #27
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

The Dynamic Damper Control was deemed 'uncommon' by the dealers probably because most dealers have no idea what its supposed to do, hence they did not add this option when they order cars. Same applies for lack of Adaptive suspension option available in stock M40i in dealers lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #28
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

The dealers RARELY know squat. I even knew more than the darn Genius guy......irritating. BUT - My loaner had no DHP and to what the other forum member said the suspension was a tad firmer in Comfort. Now that my X3 30i has DHP, comfort is "smoother" and softer. There is a TAD more body roll. What I do like the best about it is that it has a better Sport mode that is not only firmer, but the Adaptive mode is great to have for me not to have to think in some situations. Remember, the DHP is NOT only for the driving modes - it includes the M-Sport brakes and Variable Sport Steering. BIG PLUS. I love my MSport Brakes Stopping power! Definitely stronger than the stock ones.

Bottom line - for the extra $1,400 and safety of you, family and friends......DEFINITELY worth the wait to order it and also get everything else you want
      01-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

Cheers

My M40 is definitely quite firm, and that's with adaptive dampers and 19" non RFT winter tyres, so I would imagine the ride would be pretty rough with the standard dampers!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #30
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
My M40 is definitely quite firm, and that's with adaptive dampers and 19" non RFT winter tyres, so I would imagine the ride would be pretty rough with the standard dampers!
Correct. BUT I think the OP is getting a 30i - if you are ordering a 30i it is WAY worth it
      01-17-2019, 03:11 AM   #31
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I coded my car to default to Adaptive. It’s so much smoother and less bouncy than comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:21 AM   #32
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
I coded my car to default to Adaptive. It’s so much smoother and less bouncy than comfort.
YUP. Agreed.
      01-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:
Correct. BUT if you are ordering a 30i it is still worth it
Is the M40 really that much firmer than the 30i M Sport? It would be interesting to know exactly what the differences in the suspension setups are.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #34
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:
Correct. BUT if you are ordering a 30i it is still worth it
Is the M40 really that much firmer than the 30i M Sport? It would be interesting to know exactly what the differences in the suspension setups are.
In the US only the M40i has M Sport suspension, all other models get the standard suspension the same as our SE or Xline versions, even M Sport

I think the stock M Sport suspension on M Sports over here is the same as the stock M40 suspension as build code is the same
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:31 AM   #35
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

As far as I can remember, the 30d Msport I drove was less fidgety than my 40i in comfort, so I assumed it had different settings??

Wouldn't it great to have some time with the BMW design guys to really understand how the cars are designed!!
      01-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #36
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I have the Adaptive M suspension in my M40i but I never use the Adaptive mode, I find it generally too soft. I also never use the iDrive nav - i always use google maps via CarPlay, so i think that reduces the effectiveness of Adaptive M even further since its my understanding that it partly relies on you using the car's nav system. I'd be curious to drive a non Adaptive M equipped M40i to compare. I've said this before, BMW's suspension options are way too complicated to understand, the marketing around them is totally confusing.
If in Adaptive mode, it doesn't matter if your iDrive nav is active or not. Its map material is used anyway.

/n
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #37
biikon
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport G20

Garage List
My dealer has an M40i with passive suspension. Is it too harsh for everyday use considering my wife is pregnant or should I opt for the adaptive and wait 3-4 months?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #38
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biikon View Post
My dealer has an M40i with passive suspension. Is it too harsh for everyday use considering my wife is pregnant or should I opt for the adaptive and wait 3-4 months?
Can you test drive it? It is definitely quite firm, even with adaptive and 19" non RFT winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #39
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Passive will be firmer than adaptive in comfort mode, for the sake of a few months I would go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #40
biikon
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport G20

Garage List
Quote:
Can you test drive it? It is definitely quite firm, even with adaptive and 19" non RFT winter tyres.
Unfortunately I can’t test it as it’s just for sale! Truth is I am very tempted to buy it, but I am afraid it wouldn’t be kind to my pregnant wife.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #41
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Could your winters be making the ride firmer? I feel mine is a good compromise on the standard 20 RFT's and certainly better than the E70 I came from with passive M Sport suspension and 19 RFT's

I don't fully know the difference and how one would compare them but if you have XL tyres, even though not runflats, they still have reinforced side walls making them a lot stiffer than saloon tyres
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #42
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Wait!

This is what Adaptive Suspension gives you...

You will be able to select the following options:

▪️ Sport
▪️ Sport Individual (configurable a.)
▪️ Sport Plus
▪️ Comfort
▪️ Eco Pro (configurable b.)
▪️ Adaptive

Configurable a. means you can set each area to your liking, influencing the Engine, Transmission, Steering, and Suspension between ‘Sport’, ‘Sport Plus’, and ‘Comfort’. For example, I have my ‘individual’ set with everything to ‘Sport’ except Suspenion, which is ‘Comfort’. If I need everything is ‘sport’ I just press the Sport button, each press of the button cycles it through Sport, Sport Plus, Sport Individual.

Configurable b. means you can choose what remains on or off when in Eco Pro mode, i.e., air con etc...

Comfort is nice to have around town and for driving in traffic. I have 21” wheels and the ride is superb in comfort - even in the sport modes it’s still very refined, it’s just firmer, but not bone shaking!

At least with Adaptive Suspension, you get a choice!
Appreciate 2
SROC31702.00
Rik762129.00
      01-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #43
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
Wait!

This is what Adaptive Suspension gives you...

You will be able to select the following options:

▪️ Sport
▪️ Sport Individual (configurable a.)
▪️ Sport Plus
▪️ Comfort
▪️ Eco Pro (configurable b.)
▪️ Adaptive

Configurable a. means you can set each area to your liking, influencing the Engine, Transmission, Steering, and Suspension between ‘Sport’, ‘Sport Plus’, and ‘Comfort’. For example, I have my ‘individual’ set with everything to ‘Sport’ except Suspenion, which is ‘Comfort’. If I need everything is ‘sport’ I just press the Sport button, each press of the button cycles it through Sport, Sport Plus, Sport Individual.

Configurable b. means you can choose what remains on or off when in Eco Pro mode, i.e., air con etc...

Comfort is nice to have around town and for driving in traffic. I have 21” wheels and the ride is superb in comfort - even in the sport modes it’s still very refined, it’s just firmer, but not bone shaking!

At least with Adaptive Suspension, you get a choice!
Correct. Excellent info. And "biikon" I would totally WAIT for it and get the Adaptive Suspension.
      02-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #44
Roundel-NY
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a 2019 M40i with Adaptive suspension (at least that is what the order sheet says!), but no Nav. My button layout by the shifter is same as the one in the 1st post, there is no "Adaptive" button. When I select Sport, I feel the suspension tighten up, but there no "Adaptive" option anywhere I the menus, either... So what do I have then?
Appreciate 0