BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #221
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Hilarious video. Not sure if it's supposed to be a parody or not, but I'll just pretend that this guy actually really made a video of himself buying a watch, something from Louis Vuitton and then a nice dinner. The fact that he is wearing some of the most ill-fitting clothing I've ever seen, is wearing sunglasses and films himself buying something... tells me he's rather poor and probably should spend that money somewhere else.
Sadly it's not a parody

It's a pitch to get people to buy into becoming a franchisee of real estate brokerage firm called rapid realty. I think the idea is that up and coming "ballers" and "shot callers" see Ricco as a blossoming young thirty thousandaire, er, I mean, multi-millionaire (Rolexes, Louis vuitton - or, as they charmingly call it "the looooey", and Armani restaurant?!) and they get duped into paying money for the "privilege" of working for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #222
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Sadly it's not a parody

It's a pitch to get people to buy into becoming a franchisee of real estate brokerage firm called rapid realty. I think the idea is that up and coming "ballers" and "shot callers" see Ricco as a blossoming young thirty thousandaire, er, I mean, multi-millionaire (Rolexes, Louis vuitton - or, as they charmingly call it "the looooey", and Armani restaurant?!) and they get duped into paying money for the "privilege" of working for them.
I've spent the past half hour watching his other videos. Nice find. My favorite so far is him "motivating" the people that work in his "office". I recognized a rap lyric or two, mixed in with some Tony Montana lines. Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #223
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

I need to get myself a camera crew to film my spending
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #224
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i have a fake panerai and tag grand carrera and wear them occasionally. my intent isnt to pass them off as real. i also have rolex and others that are real, at some point i may or may not buy the real thing. owning the grand carrera has led me to not want one and the panerai i do want as i like the look.
Good point - trying out a high quality rep for a while to see if you like it enough to invest in the real McCoy makes sense.
I was thinking about a Graham Swordfish for a while but was too back and forth over it to pull the trigger. Think they're overpriced for what they are but still liked the styling. I got a decent replica that I wore for a few weeks before deciding it just wasn't for me, figured better to spend $300 to make up my mind rather that 10x that and be unsure.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #225
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I was thinking about a Graham Swordfish for a while but was too back and forth over it to pull the trigger. Think they're overpriced for what they are but still liked the styling. I got a decent replica that I wore for a few weeks before deciding it just wasn't for me, figured better to spend $300 to make up my mind rather that 10x that and be unsure.
good call.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #226
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
good call.
My general rule of thumb is no watch purchases unless I want the same thing for three months straight. Very easy to fall in and out of love quickly with shiny things.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #227
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
My general rule of thumb is no watch purchases unless I want the same thing for three months straight. Very easy to fall in and out of love quickly with shiny things.
I don't know if that would work for me. I can want something for long time that is dumb.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #228
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I don't know, I feel if I can't afford the real thing then why try and pass off a fake as it. I just refuse to buy fakes.(goes for all things in fashion)
      07-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #229
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Hilarious video. Not sure if it's supposed to be a parody or not, but I'll just pretend that this guy actually really made a video of himself buying a watch, something from Louis Vuitton and then a nice dinner. The fact that he is wearing some of the most ill-fitting clothing I've ever seen, is wearing sunglasses and films himself buying something... tells me he's rather poor and probably should spend that money somewhere else.
What's even more funny is that he has to pay with cash! I guess he couldn't get approved for a credit card

If it is real, it's pathetic. Over the years I've purchased six Rolex's and never felt the need to film myself doing it!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #230
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I don't know if that would work for me. I can want something for long time that is dumb.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #231
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
I don't know, I feel if I can't afford the real thing then why try and pass off a fake as it. I just refuse to buy fakes.(goes for all things in fashion)
I think you'd be surprised to find that you've bought fakes and didn't even know it. Some simple examples:
  • Do you own a trench coat that's not a Burberry?
  • do you buy your wife an engagement ring that looks like what everyone thinks a typical engagement ring does? If you did an it's not from Tiffany, you have a fake.
  • Is every piece of furniture in your home an original? If you bought anything other than the most expensive major brands or had a craftsman make something expressly for you, you have a fake something.
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with those items, but rather that they just aren't original designs. The fact is that the fashion industry has long accepted the basic idea of knock-offs. The principle of knock-offs vs. fakes really isn't all that different.

The only thing that distinguishes watches from other fashion articles is that they have moving parts. Unfortunately, it's not the engineering that the "authentic" makers defend; it's the look, this despite the fact that the engineering is the aspect of a watch that is generally not very well copied.

Folks who buy fakes surely know they aren't buying quite the same quality of engineering, even if they are buying effectively the same look. You and I know the same thing is so if we happen to see people wearing what we know to be a fake watch.

So why is it that we put so much weight on the form -- the look that's aped -- rather than the substance, the movement inside the watch case? After all, it's the expensive movement that one is paying for, along with the expensive marketing.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #232
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I think you'd be surprised to find that you've bought fakes and didn't even know it. Some simple examples:
  • do you buy your wife an engagement ring that looks like what everyone thinks a typical engagement ring does? If you did an it's not from Tiffany, you have a fake.
  • Is every piece of furniture in your home an original? If you bought anything other than the most expensive major brands or had a craftsman make something expressly for you, you have a fake something.
I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with those items, but rather that they just aren't original designs. The fact is that the fashion industry has long accepted the basic idea of knock-offs. The principle of knock-offs vs. fakes really isn't all that different.

The only thing that distinguishes watches from other fashion articles is that they have moving parts. Unfortunately, it's not the engineering that the "authentic" makers defend; it's the look, this despite the fact that the engineering is the aspect of a watch that is generally not very well copied.

Folks who buy fakes surely know they aren't buying quite the same quality of engineering, even if they are buying effectively the same look. You and I know the same thing is so if we happen to see people wearing what we know to be a fake watch.

So why is it that we put so much weight on the form -- the look that's aped -- rather than the substance, the movement inside the watch case? After all, it's the expensive movement that one is paying for, along with the expensive marketing.

All the best.
All my designer stuff I buy in person at Saks Fifth, I NEVER order that stuff online.. If the Burberry Trench they sold me is fake I'm going to be pissed. lol

Last edited by iron_man; 07-01-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #233
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
Yeah, I don't understand fakes and I certainly don't get the justification for them either!
      07-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #234
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:

All the best.
I would say buying without knowing is forgiveable; blatantly buying a fake is beyond belief. I know it happens, problem is many knowingly pass them off as the real thing!
      07-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #235
AlpineV8
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

Knock off's and fakes are two very different things. Just because say, Burberry perhaps? made the first trenchcoat doesn't mean the trenchcoat can't be manufactured by another company.

That would be like saying that the first timepiece ever created should technically be the only one and all others (Rolex, Patek, Zenith, Etc.) are all "fakes" because they aren't the original design. Just the same, watches that resemble my Submariner (like the one from Invicta) is perfectly fine because it's an Invicta. They aren't trying to pass it off as a Rolex. That's just flattery.

I've yet to see a fake car. I'm not talking about a body kit. I'm talking let's say, a Prius, labelled as a Prius with all the same badging but made completely in Korea or China with completely inferior parts that are prone to fail. And if one did exist, I would never purchase it.
      07-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #236
AlpineV8
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
I would say buying without knowing is forgiveable; blatantly buying a fake is beyond belief. I know it happens, problem is many knowingly pass them off as the real thing!
And THAT is a fake. And it's illegal.

I think people should be happy with where they are in life (financially speaking) and if not, then do something to change that. I can't afford my favorite car (GT3 RS) and I'm ok with that. I'm certainly not going to try to fake it!

If it's a Timex today there's nothing wrong with that! Tomorrow it might be a Rolex! This is life.
      07-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #237
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
I bought mine, like I've said earlier, to preserve my real ones. I commented in the other thread that replacement costs outweigh wearing my real ones everyday.
What rolex do you own that needs to be preserved/cant be worn as a daily?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #238
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8 View Post
Knock off's and fakes are two very different things. Just because say, Burberry perhaps? made the first trenchcoat doesn't mean the trenchcoat can't be manufactured by another company.

That would be like saying that the first timepiece ever created should technically be the only one and all others (Rolex, Patek, Zenith, Etc.) are all "fakes" because they aren't the original design. Just the same, watches that resemble my Submariner (like the one from Invicta) is perfectly fine because it's an Invicta. They aren't trying to pass it off as a Rolex. That's just flattery.

I've yet to see a fake car. I'm not talking about a body kit. I'm talking let's say, a Prius, labelled as a Prius with all the same badging but made completely in Korea or China with completely inferior parts that are prone to fail. And if one did exist, I would never purchase it.
Please don't lump Korea in with China. haha Korea's car game is pretty nice. At least in Gangnam. Lot's of people rock German cars, BMW's are getting hugely popular there lately for example. But they also have all the domestic stuff like Hyundai, Kia, Samsung... which are legitimate brands. The CEO driver car to have there is the Equus. CHINA on the other hand, knock off city!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #239
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana View Post
And THAT is a fake. And it's illegal.

I think people should be happy with where they are in life (financially speaking) and if not, then do something to change that. I can't afford my favorite car (GT3 RS) and I'm ok with that. I'm certainly not going to try to fake it!

If it's a Timex today there's nothing wrong with that! Tomorrow it might be a Rolex! This is life.
There is a pervading sense of entitlement that I blame on Mr. Rogers telling everyone they're special throughout their childhood. It's not popular to tell folks to work for things, and compounding the problem is the instant gratification culture where people often spend a lot of money on crap rather than do without and save for a nice item. I don't just mean watches, it goes for most things. And even if you can afford something, wait until you can score a decent deal. I can think of a handful of situations (and a handful is generous) where I'd actually need something immediately and pay full retail. Being fiscally responsible isn't just about investing properly, most people would be horrified if they total up daily trivial non-essential spending. $5 a day at Starbucks, for instance, is nearly $2k over a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #240
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Please don't lump Korea in with China. haha Korea's car game is pretty nice. At least in Gangnam. Lot's of people rock German cars, BMW's are getting hugely popular there lately for example. But they also have all the domestic stuff like Hyundai, Kia, Samsung... which are legitimate brands. The CEO driver car to have there is the Equus. CHINA on the other hand, knock off city!
I think people are talking about cars made there, not cars owned by people there.

Have you been to Shanghai? People drive Ferrari 458s to the supermarket to shop for groceries.
      07-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #241
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:

All the best.
Sir, your definition of fake is grossly inaccurate. A knock-off that is labelled as such is not a fake. A fake is an attempt to pass off an item that is labelled like the real one. Buying a timex doesn't mean you've bought a fake Rolex or whatever company started making the first wrist watches. If I buy a red solo cup and then buy a red Dixie cup that looks the same I have not bought a fake. If I'm not getting my pizza from the first guy that made pizza then is my pizza fake?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #242
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
Sir, your definition of fake is grossly inaccurate. A knock-off that is labelled as such is not a fake. A fake is an attempt to pass off an item that is labelled like the real one. Buying a timex doesn't mean you've bought a fake Rolex or whatever company started making the first wrist watches. If I buy a red solo cup and then buy a red Dixie cup that looks the same I have not bought a fake. If I'm not getting my pizza from the first guy that made pizza then is my pizza fake?
Regardless of the distinction between fakes and knock-offs, and yes there is a difference and you pointed it out more or less, the key point of my post was the question with which it concluded: why is it that we put so much weight on the form -- the look that's aped -- rather than the substance, the movement inside the watch case?

Assuming that substance is more important than form, there really needed be any rancor about fakes when the substance is clearly not there, even if the form is. Aside from the legal factors, I don't see much point is worrying about it one way or the other. As for trademark laws, well, they are what they are. Whether they make any damn sense -- focusing as they do on form over substance -- is another matter.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0