BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Condensation in headlights.

Hi All

Anyone else suffering with the above I have it in both my headlights.

Had it on previous BMW’s I’ve owned but not this bad. I have water beading inside the lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
DimM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Had the same in my m40 during the weekend where temp was -2 during the night but is gone now when I looked yesterday.Have the icon adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

That doesn't seem right, those should be sealed. I had a similar issue on my Mercedes after someone backed into my bumper. Ultimately insurance paid to replace, in your case you may have a warranty claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Headlights (most) have vents which should get rid of the moisture, but it doesn't seem right on a brand new car.

I would have the dealer swap them.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

Not totally uncommon, as others have mentioned, they are vented. Ive experienced this with large temp/humidity swings and it always goes away.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
That doesn't seem right, those should be sealed. I had a similar issue on my Mercedes after someone backed into my bumper. Ultimately insurance paid to replace, in your case you may have a warranty claim?

Upon further thought, the issue I had was with the fog lights and the moister didn't clear. That said I've never recalled headlights with moisture like that and I'm fairly old
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Both my lamps had the same on delivery day, before I even pulled it out of the showroom.

Before you request them swapped out I’d run them for a couple of weeks, the heat from the lights themselves should vent the condensation through the check valve.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellg View Post
Both my lamps had the same on delivery day, before I even pulled it out of the showroom.

Before you request them swapped out I’d run them for a couple of weeks, the heat from the lights themselves should vent the condensation through the check valve.
Hmm - I guess that's a new design, good to know. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I also think it’s an effect of sitting out in the weather for a couple of months.

My car was a Thorne car, probably sat outside since it arrived before I took delivery.

Probably in the shade too.

I’ll be keeping a close watch on mine to avoid as far as possible taking back to the dealer for a headlight problem.

Experience has shown me that setting up the adaptive LED’s is a challenge, my previous BMW was back at the dealer 3-4 time to have the headlight calibrated as it was blinding other traffic.

Historically I’ve popped desiccant bags (out of new shoe boxes) in the lamp cluster and that sorts it, but LED lamps are better sealed now get very hot in operation so it’s probably not needed theses days
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Just wondered if you guys had experience the same issue.

Like you russellg I'm not wanting to get the lights changed as I had a set changed on my F11 which also condescended up in the colder months but the ones they replaced them with condensed up even more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
This was after a week of owning seems to be drying out slowly

Name:  A57321E7-F4D9-42C1-9359-FC4D946604F9.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  360.0 KB
Attached Images

12-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Perhaps the LED lights generate less heat than Xenons and don't dry the lamps out as quick?

But good it's getting better.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 06:40 AM   #13
aamusichost
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Condensation in 2020 X3 M40i

I started noticing condensation recently in the passenger headlight after the brake fluid service (literally the next day) couple of weeks ago. And it was bad literally water went in as you can see in the Picture - 1.

Took it to the same dealer and asked them replace it, which they did yesterday saying manufacturing defect. Again, I just saw little bit condensation in the new headlight. Picture - 2.

Can someone please advice whether do I need to take it back or wait for a few days.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 07:34 AM   #14
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Having swapped the headlights on my old truck, I learned a little bit about the design of headlights in general.

- Most manufactures claim slight (temporary) condensation is normal but it should clear up in a few days

- Modern headlights are vented to allow moisture to escape

I have found there were two main culprits for my old truck:

1. Bad seal around the headlight
2. Changes in temp

With the second, think of a glass of ice water on a hot day. The temp difference on each side of the glass causes condensation. The expectation is that will normalize (assuming proper venting) and go away.

However, if you are getting water in by putting running a hose over the lamp it indicates a bad seal which needs to be repaired or the lamp replaced.

Unless this happened because you were driving on a cold night and the lamps were significantly warmer I would take it back. Moreover, if it is not happening to the other lamp that would be a good argument to replace again.

It could be a defect or bad design.

See vid below which describes headlight moisture in detail

Appreciate 3
Swappy531.50
PNTDG42466.50
      11-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #15
aamusichost
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Thank you so much for the reply.

Yes, it is only happening to the passenger headlight, driver side headlight doesn't show any condensation. Dealership replace with a new one just yesterday, I will drive back again next week to show them that it is happening again.

Have to see what they are gonna say.

Hopefully fingers crossed they will replace it again with a new one.
Appreciate 1
spta971389.50
      02-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #16
honda4hundred
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 3.0d

Its still there on new cars

similar thread, similar story

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=29884796
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #17
PNTDG42
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Having swapped the headlights on my old truck, I learned a little bit about the design of headlights in general.

- Most manufactures claim slight (temporary) condensation is normal but it should clear up in a few days

- Modern headlights are vented to allow moisture to escape

I have found there were two main culprits for my old truck:

1. Bad seal around the headlight
2. Changes in temp

With the second, think of a glass of ice water on a hot day. The temp difference on each side of the glass causes condensation. The expectation is that will normalize (assuming proper venting) and go away.

However, if you are getting water in by putting running a hose over the lamp it indicates a bad seal which needs to be repaired or the lamp replaced.

Unless this happened because you were driving on a cold night and the lamps were significantly warmer I would take it back. Moreover, if it is not happening to the other lamp that would be a good argument to replace again.

It could be a defect or bad design.

See vid below which describes headlight moisture in detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKSoO_3SRE
Awesome video, thanks for sharing. Confirms what I have been preaching as my thoughts; That when a model is plagued with condensation in the headlights, it’s not a manufacturing defect, it’s an ineffective ventilation system designed into the headlight. Thus, no amount of replacements from the dealer is going to resolve the problem unless they actually update the design to the headlight.
Appreciate 0