BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #111
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
You could be right. Do they work weekends? Otherwise how else would yours be moving through the process yesterday and today? Hmm...we shall see what happens Tuesday. Perhaps mine got pushed back further.
As automated as that factory is.... I'd bet it runs 24/7
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #112
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Quote:
You could be right. Do they work weekends? Otherwise how else would yours be moving through the process yesterday and today? Hmm...we shall see what happens Tuesday. Perhaps mine got pushed back further.
As automated as that factory is.... I'd bet it runs 24/7
On the factory tours on YouTube it shows people actually helping the builds all along the way on the production line...hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:11 AM   #113
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
On the factory tours on YouTube it shows people actually helping the builds all along the way on the production line...hmmm...
Yes, I saw the seats, tires, and door panels being installed manually. The frame and paint portion looked all robotic to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #114
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ok now we are talking....Genius said the actual assembly is 4-5 hours and mine will be completely finished by tomorrow 9/4

Some assembly/production stats that were shared;
An X model assembled @Spartanburg rolls off the line approx every 60 secs

Approx 1300 X vehicles a day (X3,4,5,6,7's)

6 to 6.5 days a week the line is open and moving
12 shifts (closed seldom but for federal holidays)

Vehicles going to Europe are loaded to a train then off loaded at the port in Charleston for a voyage across the ocean (recent builds bound for Europe could be delayed due to closed coast line because of Hurricane Dorian )

West coast bound vehicles also are loaded to a train and head to the west coast directly.

Once your vehicle enters the assembly line it takes roughly 4-5 hours to complete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-04-2019, 06:28 AM   #115
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Ok now we are talking....Genius said the actual assembly is 4-5 hours and mine will be completely finished by tomorrow 9/4. ...
Thanks for sharing the stats - did Genius mention 'color batching' as well? Checking on our X3MC just now, it's awaiting Carrier Assignment (which undoubtedly will be delayed with Dorian off shore). Do all stateside vehicles first go to a Vehicle Distribution Ctr, or if they're being trucked do they leave direct from the factory?

As an aside (apologies for off-topic OP), an excellent website for current satellite weather images (visible, infrared, and low/med/high altitude water vapor) can be found at weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/ . Here's a recent IR image of Dorian from about 20 min ago for those wondering about their vehicle status.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      09-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #116
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
I've been tracking progress via my dealer and live chat geniuses here in the UK.

The car was built on 24th Aug and went to status 9000 on 26th August.

The next ship out of Charleston was on the 28th August. So I'm assuming it would've made this boat and be on the way? Or is there a more significant transition period from factory to ship and it's on a later ship?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #117
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Ok now we are talking....Genius said the actual assembly is 4-5 hours and mine will be completely finished by tomorrow 9/4. ...
Thanks for sharing the stats - did Genius mention 'color batching' as well? Checking on our X3MC just now, it's awaiting Carrier Assignment (which undoubtedly will be delayed with Dorian off shore). Do all stateside vehicles first go to a Vehicle Distribution Ctr, or if they're being trucked do they leave direct from the factory?

As an aside (apologies for off-topic OP), an excellent website for current satellite weather images (visible, infrared, and low/med/high altitude water vapor) can be found at weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/ . Here's a recent IR image of Dorian from about 20 min ago for those wondering about their vehicle status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan1357 View Post
I've been tracking progress via my dealer and live chat geniuses here in the UK.

The next ship out of Charleston was on the 28th August. So I'm assuming it would've made this boat and be on the way? Or is there a more significant transition period from factory to ship and it's on a later ship?
Not sure if yours made it out before the storm hit...did you ask Genius which ship yours is on? And if there is a way to track it? They did say something like approx 1400 vehicles per vessel are loaded before cast off....

Notice the little triangle in the north/western corner of SC? That is where the factory is...it's not even raining there: the storm isn't affecting the immediate area; Genius said they haven't received any emails indicating that local shipping is affected as of yesterday (but clearly FL/GA/SC/NC coastline areas will be delayed due to road closures and flooding etc)....apparently local shipping happens via truck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #118
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Checked again and Genius is finally accurate; status changed again to assembling...
Update; moved to "quality check" very quickly today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #119
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure if yours made it out before the storm hit...did you ask Genius which ship yours is on? And if there is a way to track it? They did say something like approx 1400 vehicles per vessel are loaded before cast off....

Notice the little triangle in the north/western corner of SC? That is where the factory is...it's not even raining there: the storm isn't affecting the immediate area; Genius said they haven't received any emails indicating that local shipping is affected as of yesterday (but clearly FL/GA/SC/NC coastline areas will be delayed due to road closures and flooding etc)....apparently local shipping happens via truck.
Genius didn't know anything beyond the date the status changed to 9000.

The ship 'Tombarra' has a last update leaving Charleston. Hoping it made this one... if not there's another ship leaving on the 7th Sept which is straight to the UK, so just a day or two behind
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:06 AM   #120
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The ship 'Tombarra' has a last update leaving Charleston. Hoping it made this one... if not there's another ship leaving on the 7th Sept which is straight to the UK, so just a day or two behind
Sounds promising; I hope yours is on the ship that's already on its way!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #121
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds promising; I hope yours is on the ship that's already on its way!
Me too, sold my current car yesterday, so now car-less
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:13 AM   #122
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Was informed yesterday mine arrived in Brimmerhaven. It just needs to clear the port now and be placed on a train to Italy. Probably 2 weeks out from delivery. Getting closer.......

Last edited by MrItaly; 09-05-2019 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #123
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Here's inland port Greer (first stop for shipping) (again apologies to the OP if this is off topic; just helps when thinking about tracking/shipping post dispatch from factory)

....blue arrow is BMW SPARTANBURG PLANT...red arrow inland port Greer (first stop for shipping; dispatched from factory)...green arrow railway to the port to ship east and over seas...yellow arrow to the west...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      09-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #124
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

beammeupscottie Do you mind sharing when did you place the order?
Trying to see when I will get mine.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #125
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
beammeupscottie Do you mind sharing when did you place the order?
Trying to see when I will get mine.
Placed mine 7/16/19....it's been assembled and then in final quality check as of yesterday...just waiting to get on a box car and trained to our port in SoCal. I believe it depends on each sales center's allocation? It's been a foggy tracking process; it needs to be demystified...
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      09-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #126
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Placed mine 7/16/19....it's been assembled and then in final quality check as of yesterday...just waiting to get on a box car and trained to our port in SoCal. I believe it depends on each sales center's allocation? It's been a foggy tracking process; it needs to be demystified...
Thank you. Good information.
I guess I might miss SEMA.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #127
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
This AM
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
r33_RGSport12967.50
      09-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #128
spasticthinker
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 335i Blk/Blk

Quote:
This AM
Same status for me this AM! Placed my order towards the end of June, it sat in “Production Begins” for quite a while before things kicked off on the 5th, as the Genius predicted. Clearly moved quickly after that!

Here’s hoping for quick shipping...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #129
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spasticthinker View Post
Quote:
This AM
Same status for me this AM! Placed my order towards the end of June, it sat in “Production Begins” for quite a while before things kicked off on the 5th, as the Genius predicted. Clearly moved quickly after that!

Here’s hoping for quick shipping...
We are likely on the same train car...both coming to California...
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      09-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #130
Mfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS.....X3MC

Quote:
We are likely on the same train car...both coming to California...
Could you check when you get yours if they changed the aluminum strut tower brace to carbon. They were supposedly doing the switch over for sept builds.
We don’t take delivery of ours till the 24th, really want to know if they updated it to the carbon strut tower brace.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #131
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfan007 View Post
Could you check when you get yours if they changed the aluminum strut tower brace to carbon. They were supposedly doing the switch over for sept builds.
We don’t take delivery of ours till the 24th, really want to know if they updated it to the carbon strut tower brace.
I think the CF brace is an option , not standard ??
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      09-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #132
Mfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS.....X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I think the CF brace is an option , not standard ??
Some people say it is, some say they were making a switchover to the carbon unit for the Sept builds. I honestly don’t know. Will they include it with the Carbon PKG? that won’t be available to order until 12/19 is another possibility.
Appreciate 0