BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

X3MC vs x5m50

Has anyone cross shopped the two. I understand one is a performance/sports SUV, while the other is a luxury fast family cruiser. Want to hear your input and your own experiences with the car. Pretty sold on the X3MC since I only have one 3 month old, but worried about the stiff ride in all these “reviews”

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Personally I have always prefer the size of the X.3 and the three series… I have never been a fan of the X5… We raise two kids never had a problem putting everything in a three series or An x3.
      12-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wanted to find an upgrade for my X3 M40i and I tested both mentioned vehicles. The X5 M50i that I tested had 22 inch wheels and M suspension. The ride was pretty firm. I also didn’t like the size of X5, it felt like a heavy tank and not nearly as nimble to drive as my M40i. The V8 sound is nice, but the M50i is so heavy that you don’t really feel those 500+ hps. However, the massage seats are very nice. If I were to buy a comfy X5, I would go for the slightly less powerful and less expensive xdrive 50i with V8 engine, air suspension and 20 inch wheels. Now about the X3MC. If you like your M40i in Sport Plus mode, go for the X3MC. You will definitely feel the power upgrade. This is a true high revving motorsport engine. The ride is firm, but it is not firmer than in my X3 M40i on 20 inch wheels with run flats. The upgraded seats are absolutely awesome. The M transmission is fantastic. I love how it keeps the high RPMs even when I briefly let off the gas pedal. I love the car, my wife loves it (in comfort mode), and my son loves it too. My only complaint is the exhaust. It’s not loud enough and I miss those pops and crackles in my M40i. Therefore, I will be installing an aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I wanted to find an upgrade for my X3 M40i and I tested both mentioned vehicles. The X5 M50i that I tested had 22 inch wheels and M suspension. The ride was pretty firm. I also didn’t like the size of X5, it felt like a heavy tank and not nearly as nimble to drive as my M40i. The V8 sound is nice, but the M50i is so heavy that you don’t really feel those 500+ hps. However, the massage seats are very nice. If I were to buy a comfy X5, I would go for the slightly less powerful and less expensive xdrive 50i with V8 engine, air suspension and 20 inch wheels. Now about the X3MC. If you like your M40i in Sport Plus mode, go for the X3MC. You will definitely feel the power upgrade. This is a true high revving motorsport engine. The ride is firm, but it is not firmer than in my X3 M40i on 20 inch wheels with run flats. The upgraded seats are absolutely awesome. The M transmission is fantastic. I love how it keeps the high RPMs even when I briefly let off the gas pedal. I love the car, my wife loves it (in comfort mode), and my son loves it too. My only complaint is the exhaust. It’s not loud enough and I miss those pops and crackles in my M40i. Therefore, I will be installing an aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks for the write up. I currently have the m40 and love it. I generally drive in sport individual with suspension in comfort since it’s NYC. I just came back from driving both and getting numbers. The m50 and your description fit my thoughts exactly. I felt lots of weight. If I didn’t know better I wouldn’t think it was a sub 4 second SUV.
The X3MC was like the m40 but the power and cornering were a significant upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:11 AM   #5
Schooey
Private
Rep
Drives: Prev X3M,F15 M50d 335dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
Has anyone cross shopped the two. I understand one is a performance/sports SUV, while the other is a luxury fast family cruiser. Want to hear your input and your own experiences with the car. Pretty sold on the X3MC since I only have one 3 month old, but worried about the stiff ride in all these “reviews”

Thanks!
I have an X5 M50d and I’m just about to change to an X3M CP, although I’ve only driven an X3M over the duration of a 48hr test drive, a few points I have noticed.

The X3 is obviously smaller, that said it feels more nimble, easier to manoeuvre than the X5, I did not think it would bother me but I did sort of prefer the X3 size from a driving perspective.

Tailgate, the split tailgate on the X5 has been a bit of a pain at times with dogs, family, the X3 is much better.

Performance, in the X3 I noticed an initial delay in acceleration against the 50d, you can learn to adapt your driving style and then it’s barely noticeable, the M50d is no slouch as we know but after the 2000rpm the X3M does feel like it has the edge on performance, the figures validate that as well.

Over the two days I had the X3 it rained and on a wet, slippery surface cornering at speed, I did feel like the X3 was that stiff it was going to drop/slide off the road if I gave too much power, that was probably more in part to my lack of experience, confidence and ability than the car but the M50d on the same road, same conditions does feel more of a reassuring cosy blanket - I think in time the X3M will give me the same feeling? In wet weather, motorway speeds, my M50d has been unflappable, very reassuring, very sure footed.

Ride quality, my M50d is on 21 inch RFL but with air suspension I have always found it a very good ride, although the body roll is more noticeable. I think most owners of an X3M have had the concerns on this car due to a lot of negative reviews on line as we have seen, but, in day to day driving I actually find it pretty compliant, comfortable, but with slightly more road noise on some surfaces but I could not recreate the so called issues from on line reviews. The ride is firm due to a stiff chassis it is not crashy, overall I would give the M50d a slight advantage in ride quality, but in normal daily, family driving the X3M is fine, in fact more than fine.

Overall I found the X3M compromises that have been highlighted in some reviews were not as evident in normal daily use, against my M50d both cars are excellent in their own right, a close call, but for the UK market right now the X3M is a ridiculous offer so that helped sway my decision although it was not the deciding factor.

It’s been a difficult choice between these two, I’ll miss my M50d but looking forward to my X3M in equal amounts.

I collect my X3M imminently so I will post some more info soon.

(Not really sure this write up helps you in fairness! But I’ve written it now....)
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
m5biemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 911 targa, 911tt, x5m, x3mc

We have a 2018 X5M (mine) and have been looking at X3MC to replace a Macan Turbo (wife's). X5 has good trunk room as well as a decently spacious cabin, hard to beat the exhaust note of the V8 and I'm still on the stock exhaust. X5 has more options, let's say it's quite a bit more luxury oriented. Some of this would be obvious as the msrp on the X5 was over $115k, X3M is $85k. We went on a 3,000 trip this past summer with the X5 and it was very enjoyable, smooth ride, plenty of cabin space, reasonably quiet on the highway, great brakes, plenty of power. Pull the info on interrio/exterior specs that I believe MaxWell has provided and it's not really that much bigger than X3 although feels like it--I was surprised though that the space differences are as small as they are. X5 definitely has the ride quality of a heavier car, not at all floaty but solid. X3 is nimble and fast, handles a bit better than X5, but if you're into luxury, then it's not comparable to the X5 yet. Comparing the X3M to the Macan, back seat headroom is better in X3 and BMW tech way ahead of Porsche (Macan is 2016). Macan to me is a luxury crossover while X3 is a sporty SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5biemer View Post
We have a 2018 X5M (mine) and have been looking at X3MC to replace a Macan Turbo (wife's). X5 has good trunk room as well as a decently spacious cabin, hard to beat the exhaust note of the V8 and I'm still on the stock exhaust. X5 has more options, let's say it's quite a bit more luxury oriented. Some of this would be obvious as the msrp on the X5 was over $115k, X3M is $85k. We went on a 3,000 trip this past summer with the X5 and it was very enjoyable, smooth ride, plenty of cabin space, reasonably quiet on the highway, great brakes, plenty of power. Pull the info on interrio/exterior specs that I believe MaxWell has provided and it's not really that much bigger than X3 although feels like it--I was surprised though that the space differences are as small as they are. X5 definitely has the ride quality of a heavier car, not at all floaty but solid. X3 is nimble and fast, handles a bit better than X5, but if you're into luxury, then it's not comparable to the X5 yet. Comparing the X3M to the Macan, back seat headroom is better in X3 and BMW tech way ahead of Porsche (Macan is 2016). Macan to me is a luxury crossover while X3 is a sporty SUV.
Nice summary and perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I literally just finished cross shopping the two. I previously had a base model x3 3.0 demo that was a placeholder vehicle. Cross shopped the X3M/C with the X5. Drove them back to back, including both an x3m non comp with 20s and a comp with 21s. Impressions were, incredible overall feel for an SUV, brakes and suspension most notably. Engine felt strong but wasn't overwhelmingly excited unless I was WOT and running it through the RPM range. Suspension was the weakest point for me while being it's best - living in NYC it is extremely stiff over bumps and uneven pavement... both in dampening and sway bar stiffness. I have an 19 month old and would have been annoying to drive around without having him bouncing around, IMO. Additionally, while the sport seats in the x3M look great, they greatly lacked comfort for me for rides over 45 min (I did an extended text drive). Overall loved the looks, interior too, but didn't cut it for me.

Fast forward to the x5 M50i. It's a material step up from the x3 in terms of comfort, tech, materials and overall vibe (for me). It feels much heavier, as it is, but the torque delta is enough to offset the weight for me. Engine sounds great and exhaust could be a tad louder. Comfort and luxe are on point in all regards, including step up in tech from the x3. Seats are remarkably better in every way. Truck is 10 inches longer and a few inches wider, in all the right places, for the front and rear passengers and trunk. Swapping out for non run flats, adding some spacers and will be perfect.

I ended up getting an epic deal, which pushed me over the edge. Had a $83k X3M comp priced at $799/month which made it appetizing, but for literally a couple bucks more a month I ended up with a $88k x5 M50i.

Drive both - trust me. You'll be sold one way or the other, quickly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
BOGX4M
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC X5 40d

Very difficult decision because it is about very different cars!

My experience:
I have a X5 40d and a X4M. When I bought the X4M, I was sure
I'll sell de X5 but I didn't because I like the both of them.

I drive the X4M when I feel ”young” . It is fast, it is pretty stiff (even in comfort mode),
it is a LOT OF FUN and you can lose your driving licence very easy!
[note: with the winter tyres it is fare more comfortable]

And I drive the X5 when I feel like a serious family/business man. It is comfortable,
it is stable and ”calm”. I also drive the X5 when I have to travel long distance
(over 300km) because it is more comfortable and the autonomy with a full tank
is over 750km.
[when I drive the X4M more than 300km I have back pain and I feel tired]

My family likes more when we travel with the X5 because ”The X4M is too violent!
You cannot read, you cannot sleep, you cannot play on the IPhone ...”

My conclusion: I think is not a decision about ”Which car to buy?” but about
”Who you want to be for the next 2-3 years? The Young Dad or the Responsible Father?”
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

If someone is serious you can message me as I own both a X5 50i Msport and a X3MC. Very different vehicles for different purposes. I am usually an M guy and actually getting the new M8C in two weeks as well.

Peace,
Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0