BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Test drove LCI, bought on the spot over performance wagons

Nice improvement BMW. LCI - is a much improved product.

First of - I'm not an SUV guy. Was looking for a second car - preferably a wagon to match the performance of M4 - so family trips are equally exciting.

They stoped making wagons, E63 S is no longer - no V8s, 540 - no more, even Volvo is cutting down. Audi was the only contender, but after driving them - no thank you.

So - first thing that sold me on the LCi - it drives like a performance wagon. It foes not feel like an SUV. (even compared to M40 - that's more wallowey and bouncy)

They fixed all the concerns I had with pre LCI - undulating jarring ride and lack of low end torque.

- Ride in Efficient/comfort mode is great - I tired it from back seat, passenger seat, driver. My wife liked it - and she hates bounce rides to the point she chooses not to go in my M4. Michelins helped to bring ride composure I guess - even on 21s.

- Torque low is fixed. Car pulls and does not feel like you are lagging the engine going uphill in comfort mode. Not only they gave it more torque - they distributed it the different way. Compared to M4 - you feel the difference immediately.

New tech - is great - car finally feels similar to other BMW modern products with new ID7, remote start, parking cams, drive recorder, Assisted driving traffic jam, ets.

I also like the looks more and got it in all black - so it hides the funny black accents.
Driving it back to back with M4 on the same twisty roads - I'm impressed - it is the best handling SUV out there - it is really a sport wagon
Appreciate 7
HoJoRo315.50
Max Well4734.50
KodiakEd227.00
Spoonhead362.50
freesole230.50
      09-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 18
      09-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Looking Good, Congratulation
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      09-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Nice improvement BMW. LCI - is a much improved product. ... I'm impressed - it is the best handling SUV out there - it is really a sport wagon
Congratulations on your purchase, Ilyam5, and welcome to the world of near endless possibilities with your BSM X3MC LCI!
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      09-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:

First of - I'm not an SUV guy. Was looking for a second car - preferably a wagon to match the performance of M4 - so family trips are equally exciting.

They stoped making wagons, E63 S is no longer - no V8s, 540 - no more, even Volvo is cutting down. Audi was the only contender, but after driving them - no thank you.

So - first thing that sold me on the LCi - it drives like a performance wagon. It foes not feel like an SUV. (even compared to M40 - that's more wallowey and bouncy)

They fixed all the concerns I had with pre LCI - undulating jarring ride and lack of low end torque.

- Ride in Efficient/comfort mode is great - I tired it from back seat, passenger seat, driver. My wife liked it - and she hates bounce rides to the point she chooses not to go in my M4. Michelins helped to bring ride composure I guess - even on 21s.

- Torque low is fixed. Car pulls and does not feel like you are lagging the engine going uphill in comfort mode. Not only they gave it more torque - they distributed it the different way. Compared to M4 - you feel the difference immediately.

New tech - is great - car finally feels similar to other BMW modern products with new ID7, remote start, parking cams, drive recorder, Assisted driving traffic jam, ets.

I also like the looks more and got it in all black - so it hides the funny black accents.
Driving it back to back with M4 on the same twisty roads - I'm impressed - it is the best handling SUV out there - it is really a sport wagon
Niceeeee!

Just a note: the bouncy ride isn't there, michelin or not. I got the contis and the ride feels fine too. There is a very clear difference between comfort and sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Good lord these things look fantastic in BSM. Congrats!
Ilyam5894.50
NKGK202040.00
      09-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Loving this colour. It certainly blends the gloss plastic better than the lighter colours IMHO.
Ilyam5894.50
      09-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
SoCalX3M-Bro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M LCI Brookly Gray

Quote:

100% Truth!

Now imagine adding all the Mod's I've put on it (ER mid-pipe, Race Chip Black GTS, BMS Air Filter )and it drives (and sounds) like a super-car SUV.

It's truly an amazing car and more people will be finding this out soon as they drive it and more become available.
      09-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Looks good! Have you spent much time in the pre-LCI? I'm skeptical they changed the engine tune for more low end torque as I thought it wouldn't be possible based on the design. Aftermarket tuners haven't been able to add to low end either.
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Quote:

Spot on with the low end torque. The difference between my 2020 X4M Comp and the 2022 is night and day. Great color choice!
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5894.50
freesole230.50
      09-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Congratulations on this. The LCI looks great in black. I'm wondering what BMW did to the EDC settings to make it ride so much nicer. Guess we'll all find out soon what these tuning changes are for the throttle response and suspension settings!
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      09-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
Ilyam5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Looks good! Have you spent much time in the pre-LCI? I'm skeptical they changed the engine tune for more low end torque as I thought it wouldn't be possible based on the design. Aftermarket tuners haven't been able to add to low end either.
Thank you Transfer - you were the inspiration behind that purchase frankly. You driving Mountain bike around and enjoying the ride on the way there sold me on the idea of that car. plus the knowledgeable and passionate group here is really helpful in answering questions.

I did have pretty long test drives in pre-LCi x3M and x3M competition. I felt non comp and comp had quite a difference in power. Pre LCi comp has more. But low end torque on pre LCi comp was noticeably low. You had to downshift the car non stop to get it going. (its funny its kind of similar to my M4)

Not only did they changed the torque delivery on LCi x3m vs pre LCI - it is also different from 2022 x drive M4 - cars were made within a month of each other, with same engine supposedly, but the tune is different.
M4 - i need to downshift non stop - especially in efficient mode. You notice it most following traffic in slower speeds in hilly terrain.

New X3 LCi - does not do it - go figure - it just pulls. I don't think its the gearbox tune, feels like engine mapping.
Appreciate 3
      09-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Transfer - you were the inspiration behind that purchase frankly. You driving Mountain bike around and enjoying the ride on the way there sold me on the idea of that car. plus the knowledgeable and passionate group here is really helpful in answering questions.

I did have pretty long test drives in pre-LCi x3M and x3M competition. I felt non comp and comp had quite a difference in power. Pre LCi comp has more. But low end torque on pre LCi comp was noticeably low. You had to downshift the car non stop to get it going. (its funny its kind of similar to my M4)

Not only did they changed the torque delivery on LCi x3m vs pre LCI - it is also different from 2022 x drive M4 - cars were made within a month of each other, with same engine supposedly, but the tune is different.
M4 - i need to downshift non stop - especially in efficient mode. You notice it most following traffic in slower speeds in hilly terrain.

New X3 LCi - does not do it - go figure - it just pulls. I don't think its the gearbox tune, feels like engine mapping.
I sure hope this new engine mapping can be applied to pre-LCI vehicles. We already saw it due wonders for the super early build 2020 cars in the suspension department. So curious what will unfold for us mid production F97/F98 guys!
Appreciate 1
Gsavarese300.50
      09-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #14
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
As a pre LCI owner I don’t know what to make of the LCI guys talking about more torque early on in the rev band. Is it transmission tuning? Engine mapping? The light weight crankshaft that may or may not be new? The piggybacks ie) burger and Racechip don’t have a new product for LCI so the perception of low end torque may be hardware related. Guess we won’t know until an LCI is dynoed to verify the perceptions.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #15
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
Just a note: the bouncy ride isn't there, michelin or not. I got the contis and the ride feels fine too. There is a very clear difference between comfort and sport plus.
agreed. been driving more and more and im actually impressed with the Conti 6. i was afraid that id hate them due to the poor reception from the forums, but honestly in terms of grip and ride comfort they are damn close to michelin MPSS on my M3. NVH is not up to par, but other then that, these are decent tires imo.

BMW must’ve really addressed the ride quality with the LCI.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I've got seat time in both and it's definitely true. Low end torque is still not as good as the S55, but it's definitely been improved. Ride in comfort is also a bit closer to the M40i, but I read somewhere they did a software change for the pre-lci (not sure about this one).

All in all, I personally think the LCI is a big improvement and how the car should have launched in the first place IMO. No dog in this fight since I don't own either version.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 10:24 PM   #17
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:

No wagons?!!! Audi RS6. That car is in my future. Hopefully sooner rather than later
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:26 PM   #18
robopp
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
I've got seat time in both and it's definitely true. Low end torque is still not as good as the S55, but it's definitely been improved. Ride in comfort is also a bit closer to the M40i, but I read somewhere they did a software change for the pre-lci (not sure about this one).

All in all, I personally think the LCI is a big improvement and how the car should have launched in the first place IMO. No dog in this fight since I don't own either version.
Big improvement? What was improved?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:31 AM   #19
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsavarese View Post
As a pre LCI owner I don’t know what to make of the LCI guys talking about more torque early on in the rev band. Is it transmission tuning? Engine mapping? The light weight crankshaft that may or may not be new? The piggybacks ie) burger and Racechip don’t have a new product for LCI so the perception of low end torque may be hardware related. Guess we won’t know until an LCI is dynoed to verify the perceptions.
Hyperbole. The S58 is not magically producing torque down low in the X3M LCI and not the M3/M4. All these guys are going by the seat if their pants feel, let's see some draggy, dyno or strip numbers.
Appreciate 4
      09-20-2021, 01:23 AM   #20
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
Hyperbole. The S58 is not magically producing torque down low in the X3M LCI and not the M3/M4. All these guys are going by the seat if their pants feel, let's see some draggy, dyno or strip numbers.
Agreed….same with suspension……

Let’s see some proof.

I do like the cosmetic LCI changes though personally.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:56 AM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what I'm confident in saying as well. We need to see dyno graphs, torque curves and throttle mapping to see if what people think they are feeling is actually true. Looking forward to the pre-LCI & LCI comparison soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #22
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Quote:
Ahh, the one upper. You have a 10 speed, he rode in the Tour de France, you rent, he buys, you ran a 10k, he just finished his 3rd marathon!!! D (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I've seen this mysterious phenomena over the years on The Viper Boards, Corvette Forums, Wrangler forums, AMG forums, always happens. The new model comes out with improvements, some of the old crew challenge everything and anything about the improvements.

Torque went from 442 to 479 due to tuning and a lighter forged crankshaft, your saying that's hyperbole? BMW quotes faster 0-60 times as well, are they propagating Tom Foolery? Wheels are also lighter on the new car, less rotational mass, always good for exceleration.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...updates-specs/

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/20...-ar191929.html

Multiple members who have actually owned both pre and post LCI vehicles have all made the same claim, faster car, more refined than the previous model, better driving experience. A+++ to BMW for their refinements on an already impressive SUV, very happy LCI owner here.
Appreciate 4
jzmundy991.00
f82fanatic1043.00
Oldgixxer1909.50
freesole230.50