BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #133
Jsoto250
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i M-Sport, 2021 X5 M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt2 View Post
Anyone know how to spec the drive recorder? I have a build in Order Accepted phase right now and would love to have the drive recorder, but I can't see where to select the option.
Were you able to get it added? I asked the sales person when I built mine and he said it was no longer offered.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #134
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

I have the M brakes on my 4 series and there is little to no dust. Got the X3 CPO recently with only 10K miles and man, these brakes are SUPER dusty.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #135
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
500 city miles and a few rain storms and my fronts look like this. Not too bad. But the brakes are new and the wheels have a coat of wax on them. So, not sure how dusty they really will be.
Attached Images

Last edited by jsh139; 12-21-2021 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
barcelona271.00
      09-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #136
dt2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoto250 View Post
Were you able to get it added? I asked the sales person when I built mine and he said it was no longer offered.
After looking into it further, I decided the product wasn't worth the trouble. It doesn't look like it would stop me from wanting to have a real, dedicated dash cam.

We had CarEye 2.0 wired to the battery on our last X3 30i and it worked very well with no fuss. It provided front and rear video proof of no fault for the 2x we were hit by other drivers. I plan to go that route again once I get the car.
Appreciate 1
Jsoto250155.00
      09-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #137
Vak331
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X3 M40i, 21 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Anyone know how to spec the drive recorder? I have a build in Order Accepted phase right now and would love to have the drive recorder, but I can’t see where to select the option.
You can purchase it after the fact through Connect Drive Services as a lifelong subscription for 100 USD as long as your build has the Parking Assistance option (700 USD). I believe it requires the 360 degree cameras. I know someone who did it for his 2020 X7.
Appreciate 1
Jsoto250155.00
      09-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #138
Jsoto250
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vak331 View Post
Quote:
Anyone know how to spec the drive recorder? I have a build in Order Accepted phase right now and would love to have the drive recorder, but I can’t see where to select the option.
You can purchase it after the fact through Connect Drive Services as a lifelong subscription for 100 USD as long as your build has the Parking Assistance option (700 USD). I believe it requires the 360 degree cameras. I know someone who did it for his 2020 X7.
This is nice to know thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #139
Jsoto250
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoto250 View Post
After looking into it further, I decided the product wasn't worth the trouble. It doesn't look like it would stop me from wanting to have a real, dedicated dash cam.

We had CarEye 2.0 wired to the battery on our last X3 30i and it worked very well with no fuss. It provided front and rear video proof of no fault for the 2x we were hit by other drivers. I plan to go that route again once I get the car.
I'm going to look into this. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #140
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up 3300 Mile Update

3300 mile update.

I LOVE this car. I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase, but I honestly get excited every time I get into it. I come up with reasons to drive it all the time. I'm a dork, but I get a kick out of putting it in sport mode and inducing farts, backfires, and pops from the exhaust. The engine and transmission continue to amaze me every day. The power delivery is so smooth and it just pulls and pulls. Plus, it sounds great. Love to rev it. No oil usage so far, but from what I've read on here it doesn't appear to be a problem with this engine. Time will tell, though. Haven't felt the need for more power yet. I'm glad I saved $20,000 and went with the M40i over the X3 M. Fuel mileage has been pretty good. 22.1 MPG average and that's with 75% of my driving being city/suburban driving. I did a 300-mile road trip a few months ago and averaged 28 MPG, though. I was very impressed with that.

I'm so happy I changed the tires. The Continental DWS06+ are really great for what they are. They've really transformed the ride and I think they handle just as well if not better than the Alenza summer tires. The ride has improved greatly and they are quiet on the road. I'm excited to drive them in the snow this year.

The Harman/Kardon stereo system will never be as good as the Mark Levinson system in my wife's RX 350, but I'm getting used to it. I played around with the equalizer settings and I've gotten it as good as I think I can get it. I'm happy it has CarPlay, but after using it for 4 months I could probably live without it. It's nice having Waze up on the big screen and having my texts read to me, but it's buggy. And I don't think it's the car or the phone, I think that the Waze integration just sucks.

The rest of the tech in the car is top notch. The rain-sensing wipers work well, the lane departure and steering intervention are good, the auto high beams are about as perfect as you can get. Much better than any other system I've used. The software just knows when to turn them on and off. I'm so spoiled with the heated steering wheel and now I don't think that I can own another car without it I love that I can program the wheel and seats to automatically heat at a certain temperature. I'm also glad that I saved $1,500 by ditching the leather and going with the SensaTec. It is very high quality and you'd never know it wasn't leather unless I told you.

I can't recommend this car enough to anyone looking for a quick, sporty, and semi-luxurious compact SUV. It really checks all the boxes and I am so grateful that I had the means to buy one.
lap77753.50
barcelona271.00
509er589.50
Flippco1149.00
      12-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #141
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘22 X3 M40i

Nice write up. Waze is definitely an issue but it's not an iDrive issue. I have issues with it on my Volvo and there are articles about issues in general with it and CarPlay. It tends to hang sometimes and often when you start it, it either has you in the last location you used it or you remain stationary on the map even though you are moving. I've found that loading Waze via the CarPlay interface and not the phone usually doesn't cause issues.

I'm going to take my first relatively long drive today to see my mom who is 45 mins away and I'm looking forward to breaking her in soon so I can push it hard to see what she can really do.
jsh1391698.00
      12-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #142
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snave01 View Post
Nice write up. Waze is definitely an issue but it's not an iDrive issue. I have issues with it on my Volvo and there are articles about issues in general with it and CarPlay. It tends to hang sometimes and often when you start it, it either has you in the last location you used it or you remain stationary on the map even though you are moving. I've found that loading Waze via the CarPlay interface and not the phone usually doesn't cause issues.

I'm going to take my first relatively long drive today to see my mom who is 45 mins away and I'm looking forward to breaking her in soon so I can push it hard to see what she can really do.
Yep, those are the exact problems I am having with it. The Waze screen often starts blank and I have to switch apps and then when I go back to Waze it comes up. And half of the time the map remains stationary with my last location and I have to push the up-arrow button to re-center it. I figured it was an app problem and not a CarPlay/iDrive issue as the other apps seem to work fine.
      12-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #143
Andie76
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i|Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZX3 View Post
Mine has the 3DZ. I have asked my dealer and they said it would have the badges. I think I will have to ask if they can take this off my building sheet, hope it does not affect my delivery.

Edit: Spoke to the salesman, he has no ideia how to take 3DZ off the building sheet. I wonder if any of the packages did that. Comparing to the original post I just have the Driving Assistance Pro additionally.

I just could find information on the X30i. If you add the m appearance package the 3DZ is triggered, but I did not find a clue for the m40i
I built my car in September and the dealership didn’t know how to remove the option. You can definitely purchase the OEM M fender badges. I thought about it but there are so many M badges on the car, I opted not to do it. I ended up getting Gloss back X3 M40i badges from IND. I bought painted items from them before, for my M2 and X2. The quality of their paint work is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:58 PM   #144
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘22 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
Yep, those are the exact problems I am having with it. The Waze screen often starts blank and I have to switch apps and then when I go back to Waze it comes up. And half of the time the map remains stationary with my last location and I have to push the up-arrow button to re-center it. I figured it was an app problem and not a CarPlay/iDrive issue as the other apps seem to work fine.
I just force quit Waze on the phone and re-open it and it's all good. It usually even asks if I want to continue navigation (if I had input anything).
jsh1391698.00
      01-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #145
Synthasize22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M40i

Quote:
I got 4.3% off MSRP. Not great, but not terrible either. I also had a trade-in that they gave me a good price on.

Thanks! I don’t notice the mild hybrid system all that much. The ASS definitely seems smoother. You’ll definitely know it’s stopping and starting. It’s just more seamless I guess. There’s no hesitation off the line or anything. It’s tough though as I don’t have much experience with the 2018-2021 X3s. And this is my first car that has an ASS system in it. All-in-all, it seems fine to me. Enough so that even if there were a button to turn it off I probably would still leave it on.

Interested in how you were you able to get 4.3% off MSRP with a custom built? I've been told if you order online, you're paying MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:50 PM   #146
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Quote:
3300 mile update.

I LOVE this car. I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase, but I honestly get excited every time I get into it. I come up with reasons to drive it all the time. I'm a dork, but I get a kick out of putting it in sport mode and inducing farts, backfires, and pops from the exhaust. The engine and transmission continue to amaze me every day. The power delivery is so smooth and it just pulls and pulls. Plus, it sounds great. Love to rev it. No oil usage so far, but from what I've read on here it doesn't appear to be a problem with this engine. Time will tell, though. Haven't felt the need for more power yet. I'm glad I saved $20,000 and went with the M40i over the X3 M. Fuel mileage has been pretty good. 22.1 MPG average and that's with 75% of my driving being city/suburban driving. I did a 300-mile road trip a few months ago and averaged 28 MPG, though. I was very impressed with that.

I'm so happy I changed the tires. The Continental DWS06+ are really great for what they are. They've really transformed the ride and I think they handle just as well if not better than the Alenza summer tires. The ride has improved greatly and they are quiet on the road. I'm excited to drive them in the snow this year.

The Harman/Kardon stereo system will never be as good as the Mark Levinson system in my wife's RX 350, but I'm getting used to it. I played around with the equalizer settings and I've gotten it as good as I think I can get it. I'm happy it has CarPlay, but after using it for 4 months I could probably live without it. It's nice having Waze up on the big screen and having my texts read to me, but it's buggy. And I don't think it's the car or the phone, I think that the Waze integration just sucks.

The rest of the tech in the car is top notch. The rain-sensing wipers work well, the lane departure and steering intervention are good, the auto high beams are about as perfect as you can get. Much better than any other system I've used. The software just knows when to turn them on and off. I'm so spoiled with the heated steering wheel and now I don't think that I can own another car without it I love that I can program the wheel and seats to automatically heat at a certain temperature. I'm also glad that I saved $1,500 by ditching the leather and going with the SensaTec. It is very high quality and you'd never know it wasn't leather unless I told you.

I can't recommend this car enough to anyone looking for a quick, sporty, and semi-luxurious compact SUV. It really checks all the boxes and I am so grateful that I had the means to buy one.
Are your new Conti's are staggered like the factory Alenza's? Great build, beautiful!
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      01-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #147
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthasize22 View Post
Interested in how you were you able to get 4.3% off MSRP with a custom built? I've been told if you order online, you're paying MSRP.
I walked into my local dealer towards the end of the month (June). They had two 2021s on their website. A Carbon/Black and a Phytonic/Cognac. When I got there they had already sold the Carbon so I took the Phytonic for a test drive. I loved it, but I was on the fence about the cognac interior. I really like black interiors, and since you spend 99% of your car-time INSIDE the car, I really wanted to have the black. The salesguy told me that ordering for the LCI had just opened up and he and another employee (an X3C owner) walked me through all the changes. I negotiated like heck with them on my trade (2019 Tacoma TRD Pro) and ended up ordering the car that night. Got KBB trade-in value for my Tacoma (which consequently was the same as what I paid for it) and 4.3% off MSRP on the 2022 X3. I could have gotten an even better deal on that 2021 that was on the lot, but I liked the changes in the LCI and was willing to wait the 6 weeks for delivery.

The climate was a little different then. Used car prices were on the rise, but new car values weren't climbing all that much. I think it also helped that it was at the end of the month and I got their first 2022 X3 allocation slot.
      01-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #148
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
Are your new Conti's are staggered like the factory Alenza's? Great build, beautiful!
Thank you! Yes, they are staggered stock 20” sizes. Mounted them on the 699M wheels.
      08-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #149
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One Year Update

Well, it's been one year since I took delivery of my 2022 X3 M40i and I can honestly say that I am just as excited to own and drive this car as I was the day I picked it up. It just does everything so well. I rolled over 8,000 miles yesterday and it still looks and smells brand new. Still gets tons of looks and compliments and I'm glad I went with the Phytonic Blue, even if it shows dirt more than I had anticipated.

I love being able to putt around in Comfort mode or slap the shifter to the left and blast off when I need to. Changeover to Sport mode and it transforms the car into a nice canyon-carver (to a certain extent). It has more than enough power for me (for now, lol) and it really has no trouble outrunning or at least keeping up with 95% of what you'll encounter out there. The exhaust sounds so good in Sport mode and the suspension is really tuned well in the different modes. Not too soft, but honestly not too harsh either, even with the Alenza RFTs on. I do like my Conti DWS06+ tires a lot more, though. I'll put those back on in late November/early December.

I really thought that I would miss driving a manual transmission car, but this ZF auto trans is really a thing of beauty, and it's perfectly paired with the B58 engine. I don't know how they did it, but they really managed to program the shifts perfectly. No lugging the engine by trying to upshift too early. No having to constantly force a downshift when you need to hold the revs a little higher. It just seems to know exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it.

The auto stop/start doesn't bother me in the least. They did a good job of making it as unintrusive as possible. Like many others have complained, the Harman/Kardon stereo isn't the greatest. But, I've found that the more volume you give it, the better it sounds. If only they could make it sound as good at 25% volume as it does at 50%, I would have no complaints about it.

Gas mileage has been much better than I had expected, especially on the highway. I took a trip up from Philly to New York yesterday and averaged 33 mpg on the way up. That's with cruising at 75-80 mph in Comfort mode with the A/C on. Overall roundtrip (258 miles) mileage was 30.2 mpg. Over a year and 7,822 miles with about 70% city driving I've averaged 22.2 mpg with a best tank of 25.9 mpg. For a 4,400 lb 382hp SAV I think that's pretty damn good. And, obviously I didn't buy this car for it's stellar gas mileage, but it doesn't hurt that it does pretty well. Comfort was good, too. 2.5 hours up, sitting in a 4-hour meeting, and then 2 hours and 45 minutes home and I wasn't sore at all.

Only regret I have is not ponying up for the DAP package. Even though I don't drive on the highway very often, having the adaptive cruise control would have been helpful on the few road trips I do take it on. Normal cruise is perfectly fine for open highways, but I was adjusting my set speed manually more than I would have liked. Anyway, all-in-all, it's been a great year. I still get giddy when I get to drive it. I can only hope that the next year will be as good as the past one was.
Clutchj39.00
509er589.50
ez31171.50
      08-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #150
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Quote:
One Year Update

Well, it's been one year since I took delivery of my 2022 X3 M40i and I can honestly say that I am just as excited to own and drive this car as I was the day I picked it up. It just does everything so well. I rolled over 8,000 miles yesterday and it still looks and smells brand new. Still gets tons of looks and compliments and I'm glad I went with the Phytonic Blue, even if it shows dirt more than I had anticipated.

I love being able to putt around in Comfort mode or slap the shifter to the left and blast off when I need to. Changeover to Sport mode and it transforms the car into a nice canyon-carver (to a certain extent). It has more than enough power for me (for now, lol) and it really has no trouble outrunning or at least keeping up with 95% of what you'll encounter out there. The exhaust sounds so good in Sport mode and the suspension is really tuned well in the different modes. Not too soft, but honestly not too harsh either, even with the Alenza RFTs on. I do like my Conti DWS06+ tires a lot more, though. I'll put those back on in late November/early December.

I really thought that I would miss driving a manual transmission car, but this ZF auto trans is really a thing of beauty, and it's perfectly paired with the B58 engine. I don't know how they did it, but they really managed to program the shifts perfectly. No lugging the engine by trying to upshift too early. No having to constantly force a downshift when you need to hold the revs a little higher. It just seems to know exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it.

The auto stop/start doesn't bother me in the least. They did a good job of making it as unintrusive as possible. Like many others have complained, the Harman/Kardon stereo isn't the greatest. But, I've found that the more volume you give it, the better it sounds. If only they could make it sound as good at 25% volume as it does at 50%, I would have no complaints about it.

Gas mileage has been much better than I had expected, especially on the highway. I took a trip up from Philly to New York yesterday and averaged 33 mpg on the way up. That's with cruising at 75-80 mph in Comfort mode with the A/C on. Overall roundtrip (258 miles) mileage was 30.2 mpg. Over a year and 7,822 miles with about 70% city driving I've averaged 22.2 mpg with a best tank of 25.9 mpg. For a 4,400 lb 382hp SAV I think that's pretty damn good. And, obviously I didn't buy this car for it's stellar gas mileage, but it doesn't hurt that it does pretty well. Comfort was good, too. 2.5 hours up, sitting in a 4-hour meeting, and then 2 hours and 45 minutes home and I wasn't sore at all.

Only regret I have is not ponying up for the DAP package. Even though I don't drive on the highway very often, having the adaptive cruise control would have been helpful on the few road trips I do take it on. Normal cruise is perfectly fine for open highways, but I was adjusting my set speed manually more than I would have liked. Anyway, all-in-all, it's been a great year. I still get giddy when I get to drive it. I can only hope that the next year will be as good as the past one was.
Great write up and thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's great to hear that you still get excited to drive it!
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      08-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #151
Errolsguvnor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i (Sensatec)

Smile

Quote:
One Year Update

Thanks for the phenomenal write-up; it's very helpful to those of us with orders in who are looking ahead to year 1!

You seemingly have a similar spec to mine. Here's my question: Did your Sensatec come with passenger lumbar? And if not, what are your thoughts on passenger comfort level? (The '23's do not come with passenger lumbar on Sensatec seats).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #152
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errolsguvnor View Post
Thanks for the phenomenal write-up; it's very helpful to those of us with orders in who are looking ahead to year 1!

You seemingly have a similar spec to mine. Here's my question: Did your Sensatec come with passenger lumbar? And if not, what are your thoughts on passenger comfort level? (The '23's do not come with passenger lumbar on Sensatec seats).
No passenger lumbar on mine. I think I've only sat in my passenger seat twice but I didn't find it uncomfortable at all. My wife has never complained either, and she sits there most often. But, everyone is different. I only have my driver's lumbar inflated slightly. Hope this helps.
      08-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #153
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Glad to hear!

From what I understand the auto start stop can be defeated if you set sport individual to all comfort and code in last remembered setting w bimmercode.
      08-09-2022, 07:56 PM   #154
sgyX3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 320xi

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
2023 BMW x1  [10.00]
2020 BMW x3M40i  [0.00]
Beautiful ride! Ride her in good health. I have a 2020 in Phytonic Blue love the color.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00