BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Mindau
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31

Is BMW planning for bigger battery in PHEV's?

Hi folks,

I've had the X3 30e on order in Denmark, which got cancelled recently since they could not deliver it with driving assistant plus incl. adaptive cruise control due to semiconductor shortage.
So i decided to wait for the LCI hoping that they might resume on this option in the initial sales. Seems like this LCI is not in a rush for an official reveal since its been rumored that ir will show off May, now thats maybe June.
I looked around and tried the Audi Q5 50TFSI E and left very surprised of the battery performance - started with 80% of the charge, straight into the highway, and after 31kms trip with no interruptions, AC on, and music, the car was still showing the 20km range left. Speed was 120km/h. Apparently Audi has upgraded the battery for plugins and now its 17,9kwh with 7,4kw on-board charger.
When i tried the X3 30e, that 100% battery gave me about 30kms on the highway that speed.
However, owning BMW's for many years, i do prefer BMW drive feeling over the Audi, so am wondering now - did anyone hear anything about PHEV's comming with bigger batteries and more el. range?
Also just seen the newly launched Mercedes C class with 24kw battery and 55kw onboard charger, and 100km range. Seems like BMW is lacking the pace in the electrification for PHEV's, anyone has any info on that parspective?
Thanks !
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

On another forum there is a rumor the x30e LCI would be canceled, which is not a crazy theory considering the tighter range and emission demands in European countries to qualify for fiscal discounts (e.g. 60km in Germany as of 2022).
There is no magic when it comes to PHEV. More battery = higher cost / trim = more weight = more fuel consumption etc.

I just did a two-way 800mi road trip and the current x30e works great for me. 31mpg on the highway for 71mph average including stops, enough battery for electric only driving in the city where I live as everything is close by.

Not sure what an improved x3e would look like. A 40e with the x5e’s 24kW battery they somehow find room for and the 30i’s B48 engine tuning would have bad looking mpg and highway range.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
Mindau
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
On another forum there is a rumor the x30e LCI would be canceled, which is not a crazy theory considering the tighter range and emission demands in European countries to qualify for fiscal discounts (e.g. 60km in Germany as of 2022).
There is no magic when it comes to PHEV. More battery = higher cost / trim = more weight = more fuel consumption etc.

I just did a two-way 800mi road trip and the current x30e works great for me. 31mpg on the highway for 71mph average including stops, enough battery for electric only driving in the city where I live as everything is close by.

Not sure what an improved x3e would look like. A 40e with the x5e’s 24kW battery they somehow find room for and the 30i’s B48 engine tuning would have bad looking mpg and highway range.
You are right about the tax credit in Germany, that it needs to to go 60km + WLPT el range. Then the question arises on the fact that PHEV X3 had been captured in camo being tested, so makes sense they will still move ahead with it. I think the the tuned b48 plus something like 18kw battery would make sense. Problem is, somewhat the release date for the LCI became completely unknown factor 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

I agree it’s logical the 25e, 30e and 45e battery packs keep increasing in capacity/size and they “retune” the B48 for the X3e a bit to catch up with the other Germans, but BMW already struggled to fit a 12kW battery in the existing X3 resulting in an awkward raised cargo area that has stuff falling out when you open it. I’m curious how and if their engineers will solve this in an LCI version. It’s like playing Tetris with a grid that’s already half full. Speaking from the US, the X3 is a car they can’t afford to get wrong (their best seller) and hybrids are going to be huge in this big country.

Last edited by FredBa; 05-31-2021 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 1