BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-18-2023, 05:11 AM   #1
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Charging Cable - Recent UK Deliveries

Hi

I will be taking delivery of a new iX3 M Sport Pro later this week and was wondering if any forum members could advise what type of charging cable is being supplied with the latest deliveries to the UK. The UK configurator still lists the standard equipment to include "BMW Flexible Charger incl. domestic plug for flexible charging at home" but the dealer doesn't think that is the case anymore and suggests that I won't receive a cable with a UK 3-pin plug. Hence, there's a touch of confusion for me. The car is not yet physically at the dealership so they are unable to check.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 08:31 AM   #2
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I looked the other week just to see what had changed other than the price since I ordered mine in October 2021 and both the other week and again today on the config website the home flexible charger (Mode 2) that came included shows as a £350 option and you only get the mode 3 cable as standard.

I have never used the home charging plug or the 10m extension I purchased separately but nice to know I have them with me just in case.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #3
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

I got mine in September and it had the 3 pin flexy cable, not sure if the change was after then though.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:46 AM   #4
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
...both the other week and again today on the config website the home flexible charger (Mode 2) that came included shows as a £350 option and you only get the mode 3 cable as standard...
Actually, it's a bit contradictory on the configurator. If you click on Basic Equipment under Standard Equipment section, a pop out window appears and lists "BMW Flexible Charger incl. domestic plug for flexible charging at home". In the UK, I can only interpret a domestic plug as being a 3-pin plug.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #5
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
I got mine in September and it had the 3 pin flexy cable, not sure if the change was after then though.
Thanks for replying. Hopefully, that is still the case as initially I will only have use of a 3-pin UK socket at home. If not, Christmas holidays is not the best time to be needing to rush out to buy a new cable!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:26 AM   #6
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog View Post
Actually, it's a bit contradictory on the configurator. If you click on Basic Equipment under Standard Equipment section, a pop out window appears and lists "BMW Flexible Charger incl. domestic plug for flexible charging at home". In the UK, I can only interpret a domestic plug as being a 3-pin plug.
I didn't look too deeply into it. BMW and many other companies often make changes to websites and this results in making other info on the site out of date/inaccurate as they simply don't check things properly and/or don't realise the implications of a required change elsewhere.

My view would be that the most recent information is likely the accurate picture, especially if it costs more!

I just checked my order and I had two separate codes:
ZW5 - Mode 2 charging cable
4T2 - Charging cable professional (Mode 3)

The Mode 2 cable was under Options and the Mode 3 was under Standard Options.

Not sure what was on the website when you ordered but if you have ZW5 on your order then I think you will have both cables.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 03:55 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog View Post
Thanks for replying. Hopefully, that is still the case as initially I will only have use of a 3-pin UK socket at home. If not, Christmas holidays is not the best time to be needing to rush out to buy a new cable!
Please can you update us. Did the car come with the 3-pin plug charger and the Type 2 cables?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:29 AM   #8
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep

My car is a September 2023 build, delivered xmas eve and did indeed come with a cable with UK 3-pin plug.

Overall, there were three bags of bits. The first contained a 22kW / 32A cable. Then there was another bag with the BMW Flexible Charger which is the control box with a captive cable which plugs directly into the socket on the car behind the AC flap. A separate cable which connects onto the BMW Flexible Charger was also provided in a separate bag and this is the one with the UK 3-pin plug at the other end. The plug shows a maximum current of 10A.

Note, there is a setting within iDrive to limit the maximum current. My setting was not checked (i.e. no maximum current set) and so when I went to first charge from the 3-pin socket, presumably the car tried to pull more than 10A and caused the BMW Flexible Charger control unit to trip and lock out. Took a while to figure out what was going on and get going.
Appreciate 0