BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2021, 01:43 AM   #67
Andreas_A
Registered
Rep
Drives: Range Rover S/C Autobiography

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
I've had my X3MC for 3 weeks now and for some reason I've just started noticing that I barely fit in the seat width wise. I weight about 220, 6 ft tall, and my thighs sort of over hang the butt/leg area bolsters a little bit. I haven't really found the seats uncomfortable per se but I think they would be much more comfortable in I fit completely inside the butt/leg bolster area. I'm no lard ass, but I'm not a skinny mini either. Anyone else experience this? Would the X5M(C) have wider seats? I don't notice this in our new 2020 Chrysler Pacifica minivan as I seem to fit within the entire seats in it and I must say they are more comfortable (not sure if it's all because of the width or just the seats are more comfy in general--of course it's not a performance vehicle either and I realize that fact). What do you think?
Thank you for noticing this. I thought I was the only one. I also find the seat really narrow. It's the subframe holding the support sides on the actual seat that are not in line with the cushion you sit on, but is raised. And when you spread your legs, the subframe is what you feel on your thighs.
It doesn't matter if its the sport seats or the comfort seat. They are equally poor in design. As long as you legs are straight, you don't feel it, but if you are a little bit taller and tend to spread your legs for better comfort when driving, the seat kills you legs.

I've raised my concerns with BMW on this issue and told them that no other car has this issue. And if you compare these seat to like a Range Rover for instance, it just gets embarrassing for BMW.
I've cancelled my order for an X7 just because of the seats, which is really a shame since the rest of the car is really impressive.

Hopefully BMW will fix their seats in future cars. This was never an issue in previous models.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #68
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I think this goes back to BMW's current philosophy of a trim level for every type of buyer, along with a very black and white German philosophy. Basically, in BMWs mind, a true M model will have narrow seats where comfort is not necessarily prioritized, because that's how race seats are. Buyers who value comfort will choose the M40i or more luxury oriented trim level. Of course in reality a purchasing decision is more nuanced than that, but that seems to be BMW's outlook on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #69
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M

Garage List
Quote:
I've had my X3MC for 3 weeks now and for some reason I've just started noticing that I barely fit in the seat width wise. I weight about 220, 6 ft tall, and my thighs sort of over hang the butt/leg area bolsters a little bit. I haven't really found the seats uncomfortable per se but I think they would be much more comfortable in I fit completely inside the butt/leg bolster area. I'm no lard ass, but I'm not a skinny mini either. Anyone else experience this? Would the X5M(C) have wider seats? I don't notice this in our new 2020 Chrysler Pacifica minivan as I seem to fit within the entire seats in it and I must say they are more comfortable (not sure if it's all because of the width or just the seats are more comfy in general--of course it's not a performance vehicle either and I realize that fact). What do you think?
5 series and up have ALOT larger/wider seats
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #70
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_A View Post
Quote:
Thank you for noticing this. I thought I was the only one. I also find the seat really narrow. It's the subframe holding the support sides on the actual seat that are not in line with the cushion you sit on, but is raised. And when you spread your legs, the subframe is what you feel on your thighs.
It doesn't matter if its the sport seats or the comfort seat. They are equally poor in design. As long as you legs are straight, you don't feel it, but if you are a little bit taller and tend to spread your legs for better comfort when driving, the seat kills you legs.

I've raised my concerns with BMW on this issue and told them that no other car has this issue. And if you compare these seat to like a Range Rover for instance, it just gets embarrassing for BMW.
I've cancelled my order for an X7 just because of the seats, which is really a shame since the rest of the car is really impressive.

Hopefully BMW will fix their seats in future cars. This was never an issue in previous models.
The x7 seats are fantastoc
Appreciate 0