BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2022, 03:46 AM   #1
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Best Feature, worst feature, missing feature

So after driving many EV's and now having an IX3 M Sport Pro on order I thought I would list my favourite feature, worst feature and what I felt was missing, I only had it for a days test drive so these may change when I actually get the car.

Best - Has to be the HUD, love it, never had it before, really looking forward to using it.

Worst - Has to be gesture control, what is the point, just seems a waste of time to me, love to know the actual cost of putting this in, plan to turn it off on day 1.

Missing - For me, with a 12 year old daughter, it has to be rear heated seats to stop her moaning she is cold, many of the EV's I have been in recently had rear heated seats.

Love to hear what others come up with.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:09 AM   #2
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Sat Nav. Terrible thing. My £100 TomTom performs better, with better maps, more accurate traffic updates, and more frequent map updates.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
britaliano
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Love the car.

Best - the acceleration.

Worst thing for me - the shift that has you pushing forward for Reverse and backwards for Drive.

I know it's usual for automatics but this is my first auto and it makes no sense to me!

Missing - storage space under the bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Best: high beam front light assistent. Works perfectly and according the fact I gen no signals from upcoming traffic does not irritate them.

Worst: the sat-nav, the missing link to the actual SoC is utterly annoying. Now I need to stop and figure out the optimal charger manually! Come on BMW, you can do better here. Without any doubt.

Missing: refrigerated storage in either glove compartment or middle console. Should be selectable option
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #5
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Best: Assisted driving, love letting it drive itself just relaxing my hand in the wheel
Worst: hud not working with google maps or waze
Missing: physical dial to change temp of air on the face
Mod: Added a frunc
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaliano View Post
Worst thing for me - the shift that has you pushing forward for Reverse and backwards for Drive.

I know it's usual for automatics but this is my first auto and it makes no sense to me!
It's legacy driven. Automatic gear selection sequence and direction, "PRNDL" was accepted and legislated years ago. Hence the current setup, even in the iX3.
Appreciate 1
the_ape101.50
      05-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It's legacy driven. Automatic gear selection sequence and direction, "PRNDL" was accepted and legislated years ago. Hence the current setup, even in the iX3.
Was going to say, all Auto's use this layout, and have done for as long as I've driven them.. which is a bloomin long time now since my surgery!
      05-21-2022, 01:49 AM   #8
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Apart from the Daf variomatic of the 1960's which was advertised using the slogan "forward to go forward, back to go back" if I remember correctly.
Not a very popular car even in it's day, and I have to say I have never liked CVT transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:45 AM   #9
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Was going to say, all Auto's use this layout, and have done for as long as I've driven them.. which is a bloomin long time now since my surgery!
Same layout on the Mustang Mach E that I test drove, PRND, but on a dial rather than a stick, I think I prefer the dial to be honest but not sure how that would look in the IX3 as already a dial there for the infotainment system
      05-21-2022, 07:47 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Worst feature:

Lane Assist. The warning of a lane departure is fine, but the automatic steering correction is a crash in the making.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Never had issues with it, I have turned its strength down to the min though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 02:34 AM   #12
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Never had issues with it, I have turned its strength down to the min though.
There are a couple of reports of resulting skids when driving in the wet: one, on a country road and, the other, on a motorway. I have left it in an advisory capacity only.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 05:52 AM   #13
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

missing head up display
BMW charge app is pointless as no connection with car, completely separated feature
Best things are preheating and how quiet it is (sometimes missing wrom-wrom)
Overall better than expected over 7k easy miles
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #14
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Best: Assisted Driving - Took a while to get used to but is now use everyday and makes me feel a lot safer.
Worst: Sat-nav - routing confusing, route updates confusing, interface feels 10 years old (because it is)
Missing: Rear heated seats!

I'll add a new catagory of Most Frustrating: Comfort access proximity unlocking combined with the fact it will stop charging if the car is unlocked. You can't wait around your vehicle while stopped at a charger for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #15
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
Best: Assisted Driving - Took a while to get used to but is now use everyday and makes me feel a lot safer.
Worst: Sat-nav - routing confusing, route updates confusing, interface feels 10 years old (because it is)

I'll add a new catagory of Most Frustrating: Comfort access proximity unlocking combined with the fact it will stop charging if the car is unlocked. You can't wait around your vehicle while stopped at a charger for this reason.
Proximity locking/unlocking is off by default, I also had it on for a while but find it frustrating. Problem with car charging and you unlock the car is if it kept charging, how are you supposed to unplug connector as the pin is locked in.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 04:53 AM   #16
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Interesting thread.

With the locking thing, does that mean you can’t wait in the car listening to music etc if it’s charging? Or could you do it if you locked the car once back in the after plugging in?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #17
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Proximity locking/unlocking is off by default, I also had it on for a while but find it frustrating. Problem with car charging and you unlock the car is if it kept charging, how are you supposed to unplug connector as the pin is locked in.
If you press the 'unlock' key again (even if it is already 'unlocked') , then you can release the connector.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #18
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post

You can indeed keep car unlocked while charging.

Last edited by jukkha156; 05-26-2022 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #19
wackot
Rep
Drives: ix3 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukkha156 View Post
You can indeed keep car unlocked while charging.
How is that? Can the ignition be turned on?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 04:06 AM   #20
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackot View Post
How is that? Can the ignition be turned on?
What I mean is, while the car is charging, i can sit in the car waiting, listening too music etc. No need to turn ignition on? Everything in the car works while the car is charging. Heating, music, windows etc.

Does yours not do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 04:24 AM   #21
handymanuk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Definitely can play music etc when sat in the car charging. Annoyingly, you may have to remove and reinsert the plug to get it charging again after you have unlocked it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 04:51 AM   #22
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

If the car is unlocked, and you start charging and keep the car unlocked, then it will continue charging, no matter what you do (sit inside, listen to music etc).

The issue is that once you lock the car while charging, the next unlock action will trigger the car to stop charging. The way this gets annoying with proximity lock/unlock is that if you plug it into a fast charger, head off to the shop to get a coffee then head back to your car (or in my case a picnic bench near the car) to drink the coffee then there is a high chance you'll accidently trigger the proximity unlock and, as I experienced, return to the car 30 mins later to find it's only done 5 minutes of charging. This is compounded at public chargers because it will usually require you to restart your charging session on the payment screen and it interupts the charge cycle so you never reach the max charge rate.

Similarly, if you loiter around your vehicle while charging it's highly likely that you'll trigger a lock at somepoint, then an unlock shortly after which will stop the charge session and require you to start again.

Last edited by supersebbo; 05-30-2022 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0