BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Headlight question

On my M40i on my headlights, I have "BMW Adaptive LED" .. and I have adaptive lights (obviously) and I have auto Hi beams.

I have a loaner x3 30i - same exact year as my m40i - on my loaner, it just says "BMW LED" ... but the loaner DOES HAVE adaptive lights that swivel, but does not have auto hi beams.

Is the high beam the only different? why does one include the word "adaptive" and the other doesn't, when both headlights do actual have adaptive?

EDIT: this is on the exterior on the headlight in the side
Just curious one why has adaptive in the label on the light, and the other one doesn’t… even though both cars do have the adaptive feature.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 05-18-2022 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
On my M40i on my headlights, I have "BMW Adaptive LED" .. and I have adaptive lights (obviously) and I have auto Hi beams.

I have a loaner x3 30i - same exact year as my m40i - on my loaner, it just says "BMW LED" ... but the loaner DOES HAVE adaptive lights that swivel, but does not have auto hi beams.

Is the high beam the only different? why does one include the word "adaptive" and the other doesn't, when both headlights do actual have adaptive?

Are you saying there is an adaptive setting with led on the stalk ?

and, either way are you just talking of the turning corner lights or the true adaptive where they split or move to the side adapting to traffic ?
my wife hates adaptive as the lights dance around too much for her
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #3
mailman_fin
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i - F48 x20i - E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy509 View Post
my wife hates adaptive as the lights dance around too much for her
Just dont use automatic mode, then no dance anymore?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

So I am about to get my headlights coded for true adaptive by codemybimmer.ca. Does the true European adaptive headlight functionality obviate the need for auto high beam switching/anti-dazzle on US cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #5
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
So I am about to get my headlights coded for true adaptive by codemybimmer.ca. Does the true European adaptive headlight functionality obviate the need for auto high beam on US cars?
I've had my X3 coded by them as well. You still need to turn on the Anti-Dazzle every time you drive by pressing the top outside button on the turn signal stalk. Otherwise it's just the normal high beam. Besides being able to visually see it's on, the auto light on your dash will turn from green to blue when Anti-Dazzle is working.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #6
gugin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:

EDIT: this is on the exterior on the headlight in the side
Just curious one why has adaptive in the label on the light, and the other one doesn’t… even though both cars do have the adaptive feature.
The "adaptive" feature in BMW Adaptive LED does not refer to left and right headlamp swiveling as you turn your steering wheel. It refers to a feature called Non-Glare High Beams or Anti-Dazzle High Beams. That feature allows your high beams to adapt to traffic around you. When you follow a car the high beams "split" and illuminate the area to the left and right of the car you are following, but do not illuminate the car itself, thus ensuring that the driver is not blinded. When there is a car approaching you on the other side of the road, the high beams move around to again prevent the oncoming driver from being blinded (eventually the left high beam turns completely off). The high beams in non-adaptive headlights are either fully on or fully off. This means that as soon as there is a car close to you, the high beams simply turn off.

See, for example, this explanation:
Appreciate 4
      05-19-2022, 12:34 AM   #7
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman_fin View Post
Just dont use automatic mode, then no dance anymore?
she doesn’t, then again she doesn’t drive much at night unless we are at a pub
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:04 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugin View Post
The "adaptive" feature in BMW Adaptive LED does not refer to left and right headlamp swiveling as you turn your steering wheel. It refers to a feature called Non-Glare High Beams or Anti-Dazzle High Beams. That feature allows your high beams to adapt to traffic around you. When you follow a car the high beams "split" and illuminate the area to the left and right of the car you are following, but do not illuminate the car itself, thus ensuring that the driver is not blinded. When there is a car approaching you on the other side of the road, the high beams move around to again prevent the oncoming driver from being blinded (eventually the left high beam turns completely off). The high beams in non-adaptive headlights are either fully on or fully off. This means that as soon as there is a car close to you, the high beams simply turn off.

See, for example, this explanation:
GREAT info!
Exactly what i was looking for.
I thought "Adapative" meant swivel when turning - that is not the case (well, it is on my old e90) but "Adapative" on my m40i refers to my auto-high beam function which is much more advanced than just a simple "on/off" function, which is what i thought it was.

Thanks for the great info, learned a little something today!
      05-19-2022, 10:21 PM   #9
gugin
United_States
Rep

But note that the adaptive feature of the BMW Adaptive LEDs is not active from the factory on a US car because, until recently, it was not legal in the United States. In other words, high beams are either on or off, just like with non-adaptive LEDs. However, you can activate the feature by coding on adaptive LEDs.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 05:55 AM   #10
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
But note that the adaptive feature of the BMW Adaptive LEDs is not active from the factory on a US car because, until recently, it was not legal in the United States. In other words, high beams are either on or off, just like with non-adaptive LEDs. However, you can activate the feature by coding on adaptive LEDs.
Interesting.
US has ridiculous light laws.

So... with that being said, what exactly do my adaptive LED lights do on my US car? The hi beams just turn on and off like you said? Isn't the the exact same feature as the BMW LED (non adaptive) ... if so, what is even the point of them putting them on US cars
      05-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Interesting.
US has ridiculous light laws.

So... with that being said, what exactly do my adaptive LED lights do on my US car? The hi beams just turn on and off like you said? Isn't the the exact same feature as the BMW LED (non adaptive) ... if so, what is even the point of them putting them on US cars
My understanding is that the diluted U.S. version of adaptive LED’s just automatically turn on/off both high beams to minimize blinding others. Both left/right sides are either on or off. In the full version of Adaptive lighting, the LED’s work in blocks or sections (left side, right side or both sides high beams) that automatically turn on/off by reading the traffic ahead in order to minimize blinding oncoming cars. The full version Adaptive Lights is what came standard in my car (delivered in Mexico) and it works amazingly well. I used to get lots of drivers flashing their high beams on my previous ‘14 X1 with xenon headlamps even in LOW beams (dealer checked it a couple of times and they were aligned correctly), but not anymore with this new and much smarter LED design.

Someone mentioned the wife found adaptive lighting annoying. I can see this happening in city traffic, especially with the US reduced version of adaptive LED’s. But in open roads, it is a really useful safety feature to have.

As mentioned, X3M40i’s in the U.S. can also have the full version adaptive headlamps, but it needs to be coded to be enabled on.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 05-20-2022 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #12
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn't the the exact same feature as the BMW LED (non adaptive) ... if so, what is even the point of them putting them on US cars
Tough to say. The obvious answer is more profit for BMW. Personally, I also think that the adaptive lights look better, especially the daytime running lights. It is also possible that the swiveling mechanism is more advanced on the adaptive headlights, but I don't know that for sure. If you search the web, there are discussion threads where people claim that the adaptive headlights are a bit brighter.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 10:49 PM   #13
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't the the exact same feature as the BMW LED (non adaptive) ... if so, what is even the point of them putting them on US cars
Tough to say. The obvious answer is more profit for BMW. Personally, I also think that the adaptive lights look better, especially the daytime running lights. It is also possible that the swiveling mechanism is more advanced on the adaptive headlights, but I don't know that for sure. If you search the web, there are discussion threads where people claim that the adaptive headlights are a bit brighter.
Based on the video above you are simply able to have high beams on longer and in more varied situations. Nothing but a good thing in my view as I get older. Ridiculous that this feature was shut off for US market.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:00 AM   #14
Mike34532
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N/A

Mine is only marked as 'BMW LED' on the units, but they do have high beam assistant, corner lights and the brilliant adaptive matrix LED system that can independently control the full beam across both headlights to create sections of darkness to avoid dazzling (although not foolproof, and the delay to dipping doesn't work well on the UK twisty country roads!).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #15
gugin
United_States
Rep

Are you sure that you have the anti-dazzle feature with just regular non-adaptive LED lights? If you look at the headlight straight on, you can see the individual light emitting diodes reflected in each mirror segment (you may need to look a bit from a distance). The adaptive LED lights have three diodes in the outer light and four diodes in the inner light. How many do your lights have?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #16
antair
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Are you sure that you have the anti-dazzle feature with just regular non-adaptive LED lights? If you look at the headlight straight on, you can see the individual light emitting diodes reflected in each mirror segment (you may need to look a bit from a distance). The adaptive LED lights have three diodes in the outer light and four diodes in the inner light. How many do your lights have?
X3'22 - I have BMW LED written on the headlights. However this is the adaptive led headlight option (S552) (mdecoder.com)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #17
gugin
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Can you snap a few photos for us to see the light emitting diode layout in the LCI lights? The photos I've posted above are for a pre-LCI Adaptive LED lights on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #18
jikhead
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i Carbon Black

Here's some information on this topic since it was recently finally legalized but with some caveats.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...0of%20schedule.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/b...eadlights.html
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #19
antair
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Interesting. Can you snap a few photos for us to see the light emitting diode layout in the LCI lights? The photos I've posted above are for a pre-LCI Adaptive LED lights on the X3.
[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/J0Q51RgH/F91-C0...52-CD2-FBE.jpg[/IMG]

Where should I look to count diodes? Tried from different angles but can't find a clear perspective. The lenses are textured and hard to see through.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #20
gugin
United_States
Rep

I see. This is a completely different headlight design than on the pre-LCI models. I suspect the diodes are hiding behind the large lens and there is no longer an easy way to count them without taking apart the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #21
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Resurrecting an old thread.

I just picked up an X3 for my mother which has "adaptive LED headlights"

Here is my knowledge of BMW headlights from previous cars:

-First, we all know that anti-dazzle is decoded for US-bound cars. That limits the advanced functionality, but other components of adaptive remain active.

-With that, my G30 had the iconic LED headlights. These were quad-LEDs that would swivel with steering input and auto adjust up/down.

-My G05 has the base LED headlights. These are dual-LEDs (inner projectors are dummy), but they still swivel with steering input and auto adjust up/down

-The X3 has quad-LEDs similar to the G30, but in my driving around, I see no movement of the lighting system at all. They are set to automatic on the knob (HBA is off because that has never impacted swivel control previously).

So to OPs original question, what is adaptive about these ones, knowing what is normally decoded for the US, and knowing that other series models have swiveling/adjusting headlights when they are adaptive?

Relevant equipment:
S552 Adaptive LED Headlight
S5AC High-Beam Assistant
S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant
      09-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #22
Mike34532
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
So to OPs original question, what is adaptive about these ones, knowing what is normally decoded for the US, and knowing that other series models have swiveling/adjusting headlights when they are adaptive?
Good question, I was wondering about this the other day.

As far as I can tell, with the HBA turned off there's nothing adaptive about the lights. I did read that some BMW headlights would change the beam pattern based on the speed, for example on the motorway the range is increased, and in town the beam is shorter but wider, but for the X3 I've not noticed anything like that.

The only adaptive part on mine seems to be the corner lights, which are quite subtle.
Appreciate 0