BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #23
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
3.1m/kw so far, only about 1000 miles in.

I live in a very hilly area which on my ICE cars gives me 10-15% worse average consumption than when i lived somewhere flatter, so i'm guessing the same would apply here.

Tend to drive in B, very rarely have need for the brake pedal, and "Comfort" tends to have enough performance for my usage.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #24
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

2.8 here
2021 G08 IX3 [ordered]
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #25
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Won't your figures also include charging losses? Preconditioning while plugged in?
Good point. I think preconditioning is the difference seeing as I got it mid Jan I’ve used that a fair bit. I wasn’t sure whether that would be taken into consideration. The charging kWh numbers I’ve taken from the BMW app so I’m guessing that’s net, after losses.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 01:24 AM   #26
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer-s View Post
Had mine since March and it's averaging 2.7 miles per kWh, lower then most here, it does a lot of short journeys, be interesting to see how it goes over summer, I think most cars I have owned seem to return lower MPG then other people appear to get, maybe it's my driving style 🤣
I'm getting a similar number when I drive to work (central London traffic) but I get more on the highway 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:40 AM   #27
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
Quote:
Had mine since March and it's averaging 2.7 miles per kWh, lower then most here, it does a lot of short journeys, be interesting to see how it goes over summer, I think most cars I have owned seem to return lower MPG then other people appear to get, maybe it's my driving style 🤣
Short journeys... I guess lot's of accelerations and braking, possibly little actual regeneration?
Mr HP, hope you are keeping well, yeah pretty much my usage pattern, and it's still only got 1500 miles on the clock, managed to get 2.9 yesterday, so there's hope for me yet 🤣
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2022, 04:43 AM   #28
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
I'm getting a similar number when I drive to work (central London traffic) but I get more on the highway 🤷*♂️
That's back to front 🤣 BEVs should do better in traffic and worse on the run, maybe it's the length of the journeys, IE on a run it has longer to make use of the fully warmed up battery, shorter runs the battery just about gets warmed up
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 06:22 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
That's back to front 🤣 BEVs should do better in traffic and worse on the run, maybe it's the length of the journeys, IE on a run it has longer to make use of the fully warmed up battery, shorter runs the battery just about gets warmed up
I see BEV much like ICE use, so many variables and personal driving profiles. Can easily see some reversals of what we perceive it should be.

Like the number of short trips and cabin warm ups in winter. How dense the stop-start traffic and the ability to control our space for EV efficiency. Our choice of cruising speeds on the highway. I imagine up here in summer traffic, driving many miles at 40 - 50mph, (restricted speed due to traffic density), a BEV will be pretty economical.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:11 AM   #30
Hud78
Private
Rep

Quote:
Agree. That's my point, user charging consumption won't be equal to the car's readings, as RedJon is observing.
Quite. In addition, any comparisons of power consumption like this are pretty much moot since they can be skewed massively by lots of preconditioning (from battery) for short journeys, possibly more so than driving style etc.

This is demonstrated by comparing our household commutes - my other half gets 50% better consumption (about 3 miles/kWh) than me (2 miles/kWh) on similar roads, but the round trip is 60 miles vs my 9 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:25 PM   #31
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
I see BEV much like ICE use, so many variables and personal driving profiles. Can easily see some reversals of what we perceive it should be.

Like the number of short trips and cabin warm ups in winter. How dense the stop-start traffic and the ability to control our space for EV efficiency. Our choice of cruising speeds on the highway. I imagine up here in summer traffic, driving many miles at 40 - 50mph, (restricted speed due to traffic density), a BEV will be pretty economical.
Totally agree Pete, for me I see the average consumption as similar to the combined mpg for ICE.

On my extended test drive of the IX3 from the Sussex coast to London and back, it averaged 3.2m/kw so range of c250 miles, which compared to its official rating is not bad and competitive in its class. This was based on a mixture of A roads motorway and city driving.

It’s just funny that with most ICE cars you don’t really have to think about max range as you just fill up, but the majority of time the max range of the IX3 won’t matter but when it does, just needs a bit more planning.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:25 AM   #32
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I'm at 3.0 miles/kwh on 6k miles from end of January, driven like previous x3 3.0d.
On long runs it varies from 3.2 to 3.5 miles/kwh with range 230-260miles on speed limit .
Next month euro trip <3k miles, we will see how it will perform
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #33
icylava
Rep

2.1 mile per Kwh - pure motorway consumption

ECO Pro mode
80 mph
A/C constant on at 18 degrees

OKish for me. 100% charge is just enough to get me home
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #34
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icylava View Post
2.1 mile per Kwh - pure motorway consumption

ECO Pro mode
80 mph
A/C constant on at 18 degrees

OKish for me. 100% charge is just enough to get me home
That’s poor figures imo less than 200miles full charge, the ix3 has always been rated on the whole as good range wise and with the figures you posted you should be getting 3+miles/kwh
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #35
icylava
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
That’s poor figures imo less than 200miles full charge, the ix3 has always been rated on the whole as good range wise and with the figures you posted you should be getting 3+miles/kwh
It is poor, but note this consumption comes from pure motorway driving at 80mph and A/C on all the time. I do long distance driving regularly and it gives me the chance to get the worst scenario consumption.

I found the consumption is significantly better if I drive under 70mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #36
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

This week did a 167 mile trip from Sussex to Hampshire mainly on M23/M25/M3 and back again. All comfort with some sport on A roads near to home (never have and never will touch eco mode, after years in an i3 I quickly learnt all it does it help nudge you towards what you can easily do in comfort with a light right foot with good regen). Left it in B mode the whole time and had the full assistance on while on the motorways with speed set to 75 and obviously doing less a lot of the time as people in front slowed me down. A/C on 19c all the time, phone in charger, etc. 3.5kWh, with over 80 miles range left when got home.
Appreciate 2
Rathian149.00
      05-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #37
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

for me difference between ecopro/comfort next to nothing, in sport you can feel quicker response from accelerator.
With same driving style and speeds no big difference in range between all settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #38
RoosDK
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3, 2021

19K Km (almost 12k miles) over the past 11 month, 20,2 kWh/100km, equals to 3,08 mile/kWh if my math is correct.

Impressive/Premier Pro on 20" staggered wheelsets, both summer and winter tires, aerodynamic inserts removed since changing to winter tires last November.

Mix between city driving, and highway. With an surplus of highway miles this winter. Highway speed 70-85 mph, always use B-mode, a/c on, comfort or sport, rarely eco pro.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 03:59 PM   #39
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colh68 View Post
This week did a 167 mile trip from Sussex to Hampshire mainly on M23/M25/M3 and back again. All comfort with some sport on A roads near to home (never have and never will touch eco mode, after years in an i3 I quickly learnt all it does it help nudge you towards what you can easily do in comfort with a light right foot with good regen). Left it in B mode the whole time and had the full assistance on while on the motorways with speed set to 75 and obviously doing less a lot of the time as people in front slowed me down. A/C on 19c all the time, phone in charger, etc. 3.5kWh, with over 80 miles range left when got home.
This is what I was trying to say
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #40
icylava
Rep

It seems to me that the driver assistance is able to increase the predicted range quite significantly.

I posted some poor figure earlier and that was on manual driving. I did the same trip today - entire trip steered by the car itself - speed set to 130km/h and the car was on the 130km/h speed for 95% of the trip, range was predicted to be 200 km at 50% battery mark. I still had 180 km range after driving for 200 km... A/C set to 18 degrees for the entire trip. This looks very good then!

Last edited by icylava; 06-04-2022 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:32 AM   #41
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

My wife and I have spent the last three days motoring around the hills and valleys of the Lake District with some miles on the M6 between Penrith and Carlisle. Three hundred miles +, the trip recorder is showing 4.4miles/kWh. Motorway driving was in D mode Assisted at 65mph, and driving cross county was in B mode up to the speed limit. These figures are close to what I was achieving on my i3 120Ah on the same roads. Given the size and weight difference between the two cars, the iX3’s performance is stellar.

Lessons learned driving my first i3 (80 mile max range) still hold good. Moderate acceleration and coasting whenever possible are key to maximum range.

The iX3 is an easy to drive car on the narrow twisty Lake District roads - only let down by the appalling sat nav.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #42
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
My wife and I have spent the last three days motoring around the hills and valleys of the Lake District with some miles on the M6 between Penrith and Carlisle. Three hundred miles +, the trip recorder is showing 4.4miles/kWh. Motorway driving was in D mode Assisted at 65mph, and driving cross county was in B mode up to the speed limit. These figures are close to what I was achieving on my i3 120Ah on the same roads. Given the size and weight difference between the two cars, the iX3’s performance is stellar.

Lessons learned driving my first i3 (80 mile max range) still hold good. Moderate acceleration and coasting whenever possible are key to maximum range.

The iX3 is an easy to drive car on the narrow twisty Lake District roads - only let down by the appalling sat nav.
4.4miles/kWh is pretty good, well done
      06-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #43
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
4.4miles/kWh is pretty good, well done
Optimum outside air temperature helps and the Lake District has some surprisingly good; smooth and well-maintained roads. North Shropshire, where I live, could learn a lot from their Cumbrian colleagues.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #44
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Quote:
Short journeys... I guess lot's of accelerations and braking, possibly little actual regeneration?
14.8 to 22 Kwh per 100 km. 21 at 130km/h. Mostly 17-19.