BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
GamoX
Rep
Drives: 525D

Does BMW plan not to offer Touchscreen on IX3

I have seen that many models no longer have option to choose touchscreen for IDrive so I wonder if I place an order for IX3 now will this option will be eliminated in the near future?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
kebl2555
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, iX3 M-Sport Pro on order

Are you sure this is the screen or the idrive controller (touch pad on the rotary dial)?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
GamoX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebl2555 View Post
Are you sure this is the screen or the idrive controller (touch pad on the rotary dial)?
I mean the actual screen not the rotary dial. I know about rotary dial but many other models don't have touchscreen too. I read the news that i4 still has touchscreen but normal serie 4 doesn't have I think because I4 is using IDrive 8. So I just want to check just in case someone hear the news about IX3.

Last edited by GamoX; 04-28-2022 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamoX View Post
I have seen that many models no longer have option to choose touchscreen for IDrive so I wonder if I place an order for IX3 now will this option will be eliminated in the near future?
I guess nobody can really predict the future.

Nobody would have expected BMW to rush in a hardware change, making it necessary to ship vehicles with CarPlay disabled while they sort out the software.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:51 AM   #5
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

I thought these changes were solely down to supply chain issues from the global semiconductor shortage. BMW had to ship vehicles without certain features because the components were simply not available.

When (if?) the world gets back to fully normal I would imagine all these features will be available again. But who knows when that will be…..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:13 AM   #6
GamoX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Soul View Post
I thought these changes were solely down to supply chain issues from the global semiconductor shortage. BMW had to ship vehicles without certain features because the components were simply not available.

When (if?) the world gets back to fully normal I would imagine all these features will be available again. But who knows when that will be…..
I hope that will be before my car get built because BMW in my country is very hard to deal with esp when you put a deposit down.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:38 AM   #7
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamoX View Post
I hope that will be before my car get built because BMW in my country is very hard to deal with esp when you put a deposit down.
I took an IX3 for a test drive on Sunday and the salesman had just been told about the lack of touchscreens, but he was under the impression it would have touchscreen functionality with later update to the software, so maybe they are using different components with the BMW developers catching up, it is a little worrying though, good job car has the idrive
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:19 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
I took an IX3 for a test drive on Sunday and the salesman had just been told about the lack of touchscreens, but he was under the impression it would have touchscreen functionality with later update to the software, so maybe they are using different components with the BMW developers catching up, it is a little worrying though, good job car has the idrive
Although car dealers are very good at telling you what you want to hear, when they don't really know what is going on.

The ever changing list of missing features since I ordered my car this time last year is incredible. The only item I didn't receive was the passenger lumbar support:
  • Passenger lumbar support
  • Head up display
  • 360 camera
  • I-Drive touch sensor
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Digital key
  • Apple CarPlay - promised via OTA software update. However BMW have not released an OTA software update for the iX3 since I received my car in November.
  • Factory fitted tow bar
  • Touchscreen
  • Harman/Kardon sound system
  • Laser headlights

Last edited by GDEvans; 04-29-2022 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Although car dealers are very good at telling you what you want to hear, when they don't really know what is going on.

The ever changing list of missing features since I ordered my car this time last year is incredible. The only item I didn't receive was the passenger lumbar support:
  • Passenger lumbar support
  • Head up display
  • 360 camera
  • I-Drive touch sensor
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Digital key
  • Apple CarPlay - promised via OTA software update. However BMW have not released an OTA software update for the iX3 since I received my car in November.
  • Factory fitted tow bar
  • Touchscreen
  • Harman/Kardon sound system
  • Laser headlights
Yikes, that is the items that will be missing from your build!!!!!

That is a lot, so what gets knocked off the price as that lot if worth £1000's
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:59 AM   #10
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
Yikes, that is the items that will be missing from your build!!!!!

That is a lot, so what gets knocked off the price as that lot if worth £1000's
I received my car in November. That is the list of items that may or may not be available depending on when and where you order, and whether BMW have the parts in stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I received my car in November. That is the list of items that may or may not be available depending on when and where you order, and whether BMW have the parts in stock.
Ahh ok, I misread you post

My order not actually gone in yet as waiting for Lex to get their fingers out of their **** and get it ordered.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Received my car 3 weeks ago and thankfully only the passenger lumber support was missing, going forward this doesn’t look good
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello,

So can I just check, deletion of the I-Drive Touch Sensor is the removal of the feature of being able to, in effect use the rotary dial as a writing pad for letters and symbols, the rotary and push button function is not affected?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 05:32 AM   #14
kebl2555
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, iX3 M-Sport Pro on order

That's right, deletion of touch function on the iDrive dial is code 6UX and deletion of the touch function on the screen is 6UY. My build is due to suffer from 6UX, which I think I can live with. Not at all clear yet if BMW might offer some kind of retrofit - it's at least not been ruled out yet.
Appreciate 0