BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
matthewlevans
Rep
Drives: IX3 MSport Pro

Front Windscreen Double Lights

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone else has noticed a problem with the windscreen but I'm getting double headlights / Tail lights as per the pictures.

The Car has been in with BMW for 4 weeks! and they have tested another IX3 + Standard X3. Worryingly all the other cars did the same.

My father also has a 2021 4 series and this does the same!!

It may not look that bad in daylight but at night even the rear lights do the same and it makes night driving harder.

Interested if anyone else has the same issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by matthewlevans; 04-26-2022 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: change a picture
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #2
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

It’s not something I have noticed and I did look particularly hard today when driving about.

I can see the issue in a couple of your photos, but then in others I can’t.

Is it possibly something to do with the special windscreen that is used to enable the HUD to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #3
Dave Wh
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive Msport

Whilst you were looking at the lights did you notice that a Mercedes had flown into a tree (3rd photo)?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
matthewlevans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wh View Post
Whilst you were looking at the lights did you notice that a Mercedes had flown into a tree (3rd photo)?
brilliant. No missed that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
matthewlevans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Soul View Post
It’s not something I have noticed and I did look particularly hard today when driving about.

Glad yours is ok.

I can see the issue in a couple of your photos, but then in others I can’t.

Is it possibly something to do with the special windscreen that is used to enable the HUD to work?
Hi - i put the last picture on to show that the Polo doesn't have fog lights on.

I think it's to do with the acoustic screen + HUD.

My windscreen seems to do it all over but the 4 series they lent me only did it in one spot which affected the HUD more. See picture below. if you look at the top line of the HUD its looks double but if you move your head up and down or the position of the HUD the double bit stays at the same point in the screen. 100% better than mine.

Like i said my Fathers 4 series is bad as well.

All the vehicles I've driven + BMW tested have been late 2021/2022 cars.

I think they have got a major issue with some of the screens!

Name:  Photo 25-04-2022, 13 40 17.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  565.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
R_Soul
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

Yes I see the problem. I will admit that when driving around again today I looked particularly hard around the headlights of oncoming cars and I did notice a bit of blurring around them.

I originally thought it was my piss poor eyesight but on looking harder I could see the issue.

It’s certainly not as pronounced as your photos though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I believe the double image is related to the 'Acoustic Glass' which is fitted as an option to some BMWs but is a standard feature on the iX3. The Acoustic Glass is two pieces of glass laminated together (like double glazed windows) which significantly reduces road noise, it does however create some visual artifacts due to refraction.

I had this option on my last X3 M40i and on this iX3 and after a few days I stopped noticing them altogether.

I don't think it's a fault.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 08:43 AM   #8
matthewlevans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I believe the double image is related to the 'Acoustic Glass' which is fitted as an option to some BMWs but is a standard feature on the iX3. The Acoustic Glass is two pieces of glass laminated together (like double glazed windows) which significantly reduces road noise, it does however create some visual artifacts due to refraction.

I had this option on my last X3 M40i and on this iX3 and after a few days I stopped noticing them altogether.

I don't think it's a fault.
Yep i think its a combination of Acoustic and HUD. My Last 3 BMW's have all had HUD with no issues at all. Currently got a 2018 X6 at work which is perfect.

It seems that screens differ and you could have one that's not that bad or one like mine which is horrendous.

Day time its bearable but at night its really bad and very distracting. Basically every light has a shadow below it.

It has to be a fault there's no way you can accept distortion from a front windscreen as its slightly important!

I'm waiting for BMW to confirm how they are going to resolve it.

Interestingly if you wear Polarized glasses it all stops but so does HUD
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:57 AM   #9
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I'm more concerned what is going on here?! Is that on the back of a transporter or were you witness to an insane crash?!

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-03 085630.png
Views: 401
Size:  325.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
matthewlevans
Rep

Just bumping this up the tread again sorry.

BMW Technical still saying double vision through front screen is ok because they have tested other new ones that do the same
Appreciate 0