BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #1
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

SoC at destination

Hi,
Does anyone know if BMW plans to add a feature to present the State of Charge (SoC) or better said, in the case of the instrument cluster, the range when planning a trip with the navigation.
This is obviously a basic feature that they even have when planning a trip in my BMW (interesting enough, from MyBMW you can send the destination but not the route or am I missing something)?

I know that we can do easy math (when launching a trip the range is adapted, so if you have a range of 150Km and a trip of 50Km it is easy, but still...)

Next to that, would be great if they could actually improve the proposal of chargers during a trip (when going out of the range) as well as the expected charge duration/Kwh (which is already shown when Nav proposes a charger. I would love to see a behaviour similar to Tesla or Mercedes. Got from A to D, but stop in B for 15min/xKwh and in C for 20min/YKwh. Just basic stuff nowadays...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I tend to use ABRP for long trips, but agree needs improvement in the onboard nav, well I say I use ABRP, technically I use ABRP to plan it, and export the plan to Google maps, as the interface is much better than abrp.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I tend to use ABRP for long trips, but agree needs improvement in the onboard nav, well I say I use ABRP, technically I use ABRP to plan it, and export the plan to Google maps, as the interface is much better than abrp.
Yep, i get that. but we don't pay 60 ot 70k (€/£) to use googlemaps. I do that on my 10k Opel Karl :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Fair enough, but AA is better than the onboard stuff as a rule anyhow, just wish the HUD had the map projection that onboard nav has. But I do agree
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:54 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroribeiro View Post
Yep, i get that. but we don't pay 60 ot 70k (€/£) to use googlemaps. I do that on my 10k Opel Karl :-)
Agreed. However, I am still using my £100 TomTom, as it plans routes better than the built in system, and provides better live traffic updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #6
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Agreed. However, I am still using my £100 TomTom, as it plans routes better than the built in system, and provides better live traffic updates.
Better than CarPlay or android auto apps? Have to agree standard nav is pretty useless
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Better than CarPlay or android auto apps? Have to agree standard nav is pretty useless
It isn't specifically geared towards EVs... in fact that is the one part that is missing, apart from a very regularly updated list of charger POIs.

However, in my experience, the TomTom understanding of traffic at different times of the day is second to none; they know the difference between normal slow peak time traffic and an incident. Their real time traffic information lags behind the real world by about 10-15 mins - you hear about problems ahead very promptly. And if it can't find a quicker route, it counts you down in metres into the back of the queue. It has a built-in SIM to get the traffic data, anywhere in Europe.

The TomTom also learns your regular destinations, and which days you are there. On days I'm normally in the office, in the mornings it asks if I am going to work. In the evening it asks if I'm going home. I have it on every day, but muted, to see traffic on my lengthy route to work.

The built-in maps are for the whole of Europe. Speed cameras for the same area. And "lifetime" updates of both. All for just over £100.

As mentioned the one thing it lacks is EV features. It would be nice if it knew the car's current state of charge and consumption, and allowed route planning accordingly. But the built-in BMW system does very little with its knowledge of the vehicle.

I tend to use ABRP and ZapMap to plan long routes in advance, and then add the charge points as destinations and waypoints in the TomTom. I'll sometimes put them into the BMW system for my partner, as she likes to see where we are going on the map! But it is incredibly annoying when the BMW maps forgets the route every time you stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
It isn't specifically geared towards EVs... in fact that is the one part that is missing, apart from a very regularly updated list of charger POIs.

However, in my experience, the TomTom understanding of traffic at different times of the day is second to none; they know the difference between normal slow peak time traffic and an incident. Their real time traffic information lags behind the real world by about 10-15 mins - you hear about problems ahead very promptly. And if it can't find a quicker route, it counts you down in metres into the back of the queue. It has a built-in SIM to get the traffic data, anywhere in Europe.

The TomTom also learns your regular destinations, and which days you are there. On days I'm normally in the office, in the mornings it asks if I am going to work. In the evening it asks if I'm going home. I have it on every day, but muted, to see traffic on my lengthy route to work.

The built-in maps are for the whole of Europe. Speed cameras for the same area. And "lifetime" updates of both. All for just over £100.

As mentioned the one thing it lacks is EV features. It would be nice if it knew the car's current state of charge and consumption, and allowed route planning accordingly. But the built-in BMW system does very little with its knowledge of the vehicle.

I tend to use ABRP and ZapMap to plan long routes in advance, and then add the charge points as destinations and waypoints in the TomTom. I'll sometimes put them into the BMW system for my partner, as she likes to see where we are going on the map! But it is incredibly annoying when the BMW maps forgets the route every time you stop.
Just use the my bmw app.
Attached Images

01-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brheik View Post
Just use the my bmw app.
Doesn't add the charge stops in the UK at least

Name:  Screenshot_20220124-233648_My BMW.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  57.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Quote:
Just use the my bmw app.
Doesn't add the charge stops in the UK at least

Attachment 2796566
That's in France near Paris. It works fine for many trips I tried, eg Berlin, Stockholm, even 2000 km to Milano, but not Amsterdam, Paris, Rome.
Attached Images

01-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Nope, UK to UK doesn't work either, must be a German/some of Europe thing....

Name:  Screenshot_20220125-002837_My BMW.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  48.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:37 AM   #12
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Nop, AFAIK you can only send to the car the final destination but not the route. I mentioned that in the first post of this thread....

For EV, on trips with stops and stuff, don't think that anything is better than ABRP
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:42 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Nop, AFAIK you can only send to the car the final destination but not the route. I mentioned that in the first post of this thread....

For EV, on trips with stops and stuff, don't think that anything is better than ABRP
BMW used to have BMW Routes which allowed owners to build a route; store it and/or send it to the car. It was a bit clunky but it worked. For some reason, BMW decided to do away with it about 2 years ago. BMW has always struggled with IT to support their cars.

Last edited by DaveCV; 01-25-2022 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:01 AM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

There's a beta signup for the apps and connected services if you fancy it.

https://nest.testbirds.com/tester/tests/show/907184

Might need an invite, use my username Charlas if you do.

But yeah used to like BMW Connected app, had features still missing form my BMW like the trips stuff, and the consumption data etc
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:59 AM   #15
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I agree that it is best for planning the route initially for an EV.

However, once I know where I am going, and where I want to stop, I will put the information into my TomTom to give me the accurate live traffic, speed camera warnings, etc.

The BMW app and built-in system seem pretty awful.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:04 AM   #16
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just use the my bmw app.
I think this is the point that the original poster was making. Why should we use an app (ZapMap / ABRP / BMW) or a separate device (TomTom) when we have a vehicle that costs over £60k?

It should have a built-in navigation system which is appropriate for the vehicle. The sat nav will already show the range, and will already show the charge stations. But it should automatically allow you to specify a charge time when you select a charge station as a waypoint. And it should estimate your state of charge at your destination and waypoints.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #17
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Having just got my car today I think the onboard nav not having charging suggestions, timings etc along a long route is the most disappointing thing for me. Actually can’t believe it, unless I’m missing something.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 02:47 AM   #18
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

I see the last post on this subject was some time ago, I was just wondering if the built in Nav has improved any since the last post, as it does seem pretty poor that a £100 tomtom is much better than what is built into a >60k car.
      05-20-2022, 03:39 AM   #19
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
I see the last post on this subject was some time ago, I was just wondering if the built in Nav has improved any since the last post, as it does seem pretty poor that a £100 tomtom is much better than what is built into a >60k car.
I'm still using my TomTom, even for my short daily commute. I travel straight through a city centre, and it provides me with accurate traffic updates. The built in system consistently fails to report queues. It seems to have a much slower update time for live traffic compared to the TomTom, and hence does not react as quickly to changing traffic conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:57 AM   #20
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

I do now get charging suggestions built in to the route now but it calculates it only once at the start but doesn’t dynamically update based on real world performance and I couldn’t work out how to change it easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #21
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
I do now get charging suggestions built in to the route now but it calculates it only once at the start but doesn’t dynamically update based on real world performance and I couldn’t work out how to change it easily.
Plus it only gives you charging suggestions along the route it suggests. I have been told to take a slightly faster route and been directed to slow chargers. As opposed to a route that is a few minutes longer featuring IONITY chargers.

In addition, the only way to get the vehicle to precondition the battery for charging is to select a charge point as a destination in the app and to send it to the vehicle. And this only works for some high speed chargers, but not others.

Assuming, of course, that the app is working. Today in the app, I am able to see the status of my vehicle. However, in the maps section, when I try to send the destination to my vehicle, it tells me that I don't have an active subscription.

Frustrating...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #22
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

few weeks a go it found chargers on route (300+ miles) but now states only out of range and have to manually add in car as the one on app is useless.
Charge bmw is a lot better but you can't send it or see in car, pointless.
Normally I use ABRP then add them manually to car sat nav , £60k car
ABRP is very good but having shitty motoG and iphone you can't screen mirror to car

Last edited by adam.b; 05-23-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0