BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
eob
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Question iX3 hardwire dashcam

Hi.
Dont know if anyone has tried hardwiring a dashcam into the iX3 yet, but I tried following all of the posts online which recommend picking up F27 and F46 in the RHS fusebox under the dash (Drivers side - UK Version).

I had a go today and I noticed that F27 is not wired at all in the iX3. Not sure if this is because the G08 is a BEV.

Anyone have an alternative fusee to pick up the permanant 12V?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eob View Post
Hi.
Dont know if anyone has tried hardwiring a dashcam into the iX3 yet, but I tried following all of the posts online which recommend picking up F27 and F46 in the RHS fusebox under the dash (Drivers side - UK Version).

I had a go today and I noticed that F27 is not wired at all in the iX3. Not sure if this is because the G08 is a BEV.

Anyone have an alternative fusee to pick up the permanant 12V?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have the Premier or Premier Pro?

The Pro has driver recorder built in, which uses the 4 cameras to record all round the vehicle. It just needs activating in the Apps section in the car.

I don’t know whether the Premier has the necessary hardware. If it does, then it may just be the case of paying a subscription.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
eob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Do you have the Premier or Premier Pro?

The Pro has driver recorder built in, which uses the 4 cameras to record all round the vehicle. It just needs activating in the Apps section in the car.

I don’t know whether the Premier has the necessary hardware. If it does, then it may just be the case of paying a subscription.
No, unfortunatly I've only got the Premiem Edition. Its a company car so I was grateful to even get that.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:29 AM   #4
Izzykhulu
Rep
Drives: Bmw iX3

Great question, I have also been considering how to get a front cam to record. I'm seeing more and more features that are only in the Pro, but also on lease plan and unfortunately Pro was out of reach.

Which specific cam are you looking at?

Have you considered the Advanced Car Eye 2 - looks like it may integrate with ConnectedDrive
https://www.bmw.co.id/en/topics/offe...d-car-eye.html
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #5
eob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzykhulu View Post
Great question, I have also been considering how to get a front cam to record. I'm seeing more and more features that are only in the Pro, but also on lease plan and unfortunately Pro was out of reach.

Which specific cam are you looking at?

Have you considered the Advanced Car Eye 2 - looks like it may integrate with ConnectedDrive
I just bought a Gramin mini on Black Friday.
I didn't know about this.
What makes you think it integrates with Connecteddrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzykhulu View Post
At £475 it seems incredibly expensive.

It doesn't appear to do anything that the £110 Nextbase 322GW will do. And for £60 you can add a rear view camera module.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
euro74bmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eob View Post
Hi.
Dont know if anyone has tried hardwiring a dashcam into the iX3 yet
I have been quoted £525 by Sytner for supply and fit of hard-wired BMW Car Eye 2.0 (front and rear).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Anyone found where is best place to hardwiring a dashcam in iX3?
I can do it to cigarette lighter in centre console but not keen on taking this all stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:00 AM   #9
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

I cannot recommend a particular Dash Cam or where to wire it but based on having had a 'Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Wi-Fi Front and Rear Car Camera Driving Recorder' in my last vehicle, I would personally never buy another BlackVue.

It does recommend only using BlackVue branded cards but even after the recommended firmware upgrade, the BlackVue cards I used lasted what appeared to be 5 minutes before it repeatedly squawked 'Please format the SD card'. I unplugged it eventually as I was sick to death of it. That was a complete waste of about £600 including installation and the extra power magic pro to record when parked. I should probably have followed up more than I did with the installer but I was pretty busy at the time and the warranty period flew by.

I have the M Sport Pro and have enabled the drive recorder so will run with that, but if I was having another Dash Cam then I would probably go with something like a Nextbase to keep it simple/cheap(ish) but I would look at the BMW supplied unit which might be worth it if issues arose. Note to self, I must try the BMW Drive Recorder and see if it works!
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      05-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #10
pjm807
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3, i3, GS1200

This is how I plan to hardwire mine, when I get it on Saturday. Very similar to how I have it in my G05 X5

This adapter is also a good idea if the USB type is correct, less wires in the roof lining.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P87KX...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      05-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Tanks, very helpful but i would prefer less intrusive, no soldering or cuting into car wires.
Tapping to fuse or connector would be better as can be undone quickly.

Tryed to see fuse leyout on bmw webside but it said incorect vin for my car 😏
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm807 View Post
This is how I plan to hardwire mine, when I get it on Saturday. Very similar to how I have it in my G05 X5
What a gash, amateur installation in the video. Cigarette lighter plugs are notorious for coming loose after a period of time, especially with the vibration in a car. He is installing it hidden behind a panel, which is screwed in place. I suspect the dashcam will stop working precisely when he needs it - during a collision. After going to all that effort, he should at least have soldered it in place!

Are wiring loom adaptors available for that connector? Various car audio companies make short, fully wired male-female wiring loom adaptors for car stereo installation. They allow you to hardwire the dashcam into the short cable, and then it is plug and play into the vehicle. And completely reversible in the future. No idea what that connector is though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:38 AM   #13
Ralle001
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 and iX3

Most dashcams can be powered via OBD2 but in wont work for a long time because the car detects the power usage and shuts it down. It will maybe work for an hour or maybe two but not longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #14
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Did anyone managed to download fuse box diagram from this link for iX3?

https://www.bmw.ie/en/topics/owners/fusecard.html

Works for my G20 320i but it not recognise IX3 vin.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:00 AM   #15
fatdadsclub
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ix3 M Sport

You can buy these
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #16
edwardgb1111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
I cannot recommend a particular Dash Cam or where to wire it but based on having had a 'Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Wi-Fi Front and Rear Car Camera Driving Recorder' in my last vehicle, I would personally never buy another BlackVue.

It does recommend only using BlackVue branded cards but even after the recommended firmware upgrade, the BlackVue cards I used lasted what appeared to be 5 minutes before it repeatedly squawked 'Please format the SD card'. I unplugged it eventually as I was sick to death of it. That was a complete waste of about £600 including installation and the extra power magic pro to record when parked. I should probably have followed up more than I did with the installer but I was pretty busy at the time and the warranty period flew by.

I have the M Sport Pro and have enabled the drive recorder so will run with that, but if I was having another Dash Cam then I would probably go with something like a Nextbase to keep it simple/cheap(ish) but I would look at the BMW supplied unit which might be worth it if issues arose. Note to self, I must try the BMW Drive Recorder and see if it works!

I’ve had the same BlackVue camera for 7 years. It was removed from my current X3 this morning (car going back to lease company shortly)

It’s an expensive set up but I’ve been happy with it. My soon to be delivered iX3 MSport Pro has drive recorder, so I’ve given the BV to my brother in law to have fitted in his Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #17
akeem
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro74bmw View Post
I have been quoted £525 by Sytner for supply and fit of hard-wired BMW Car Eye 2.0 (front and rear).
BMW Car Eye 3.0 has been released in some countries.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
MM087
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeem View Post
BMW Car Eye 3.0 has been released in some countries.
I have Drive Record on the M Sport Pro arriving in September would you recommend this on top of this or do they effectively do the same thing ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #19
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

12VDC batteries in EVs tend to be on the small side. On both the i3 and iX3, I have experienced the computer shutting off what it considers to be non-essential DC loads. This is to ensure that there is enough 12VDC power left to ‘start’ the car. I confess that I have no idea whether dashcams; trackers etc are treated as essential DC loads.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #20
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM087 View Post
I have Drive Record on the M Sport Pro arriving in September would you recommend this on top of this or do they effectively do the same thing ?
I think they basically do the same thing, with slight variations. The ACE only has 2 cameras, but the Driver Recorder uses all 4 cameras built in. The ACE has a park mode for when the car is parked, but the drive recorder does not.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #21
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I do wish they would enable the recorder to record whilst parked, no reason it can't, can get pics from the app after all when it's parked. Also wish they would push notifications for alarm activation etc. Bmw will get there eventually I suppose
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #22
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I do wish they would enable the recorder to record whilst parked, no reason it can't, can get pics from the app after all when it's parked. Also wish they would push notifications for alarm activation etc. Bmw will get there eventually I suppose
Yes I was quite surprised when the security guard at work told me my alarm had been going off for a couple of hours. Not a peep from the app. Very disappointing. Forget push notifications - not even a notification when I went into the app that it had been sounding.

Although the security guard could have given me a call to let me know.
Appreciate 0