BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Ldb25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3e

X3e battery recall, timing of fix?

Anyone have any Intel on how long until BMW North America rolls out the fix and starts inspecting the X3e vehicles under recall for the high voltage battery weld defect? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Jen4BMW766.00
      11-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
m3t4llim3d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Hi, it's been 2 months we have a stop delivery here in Europe. No info at all !
I think it's not a good sign...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

I haven't heard anything either and want a fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
viper689
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30e

On the recall list as well, and haven't gotten any additional information either. Received our $1000 check a couple weeks ago, but nothing from BMW otherwise.

If it drags on into the new year, I'm considering asking for another $1000. I didn't buy a PHEV to run it strictly on gas and 90% of our driving is always city. Spending a lot of money on gas that we weren't intending on at the time of purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
On the recall list as well, and haven't gotten any additional information either. Received our $1000 check a couple weeks ago, but nothing from BMW otherwise.

If it drags on into the new year, I'm considering asking for another $1000. I didn't buy a PHEV to run it strictly on gas and 90% of our driving is always city. Spending a lot of money on gas that we weren't intending on at the time of purchase.
This ^^

Honestly I would prefer if they gave us an extended service plan or warranty for free. With the issues this car has had this early on, I think that's the appropriate way to go.
Appreciate 1
Ldb2511.50
      11-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldb25 View Post
Anyone have any Intel on how long until BMW North America rolls out the fix and starts inspecting the X3e vehicles under recall for the high voltage battery weld defect? Thanks.
Ford are starting the replacement process next month and expect it to take 4 months to complete, so that might be an indication how long it will take BMW as they use the same supplier.
Appreciate 1
Ldb2511.50
      11-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Youre talking about the electric battery right? If yes then I make apologies for digressing.

I think I need to contact my dealer for my regular car battery. I keep getting low battery notifications on my dash and by battery shows 12.xx volts constant Im guessing it should definitely go to 13V+ when driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
viper689
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Youre talking about the electric battery right? If yes then I make apologies for digressing.

I think I need to contact my dealer for my regular car battery. I keep getting low battery notifications on my dash and by battery shows 12.xx volts constant Im guessing it should definitely go to 13V+ when driving.
Correct, this recall is for the electric battery that provides EV capabilities in the X3 xDrive30e, not the battery that powers radio/lights/etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30e x-Line

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
30e owners have some light on this? It seems to be getting worse:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #10
viper689
Private
Rep

What's interesting is I took my X3e, which is on the recall list, in for servicing for a separate issue a couple days ago (creaking in the sunroof) and I had asked about the status of the recall. The dealer, expectedly, did not have any updates, but I received a call from my service advisor today stating that they are stopping the sale of X3e's again, and have to keep my car, and that BMW Corporate will be reaching out to me in the next week or so.

Apparently this is a much bigger issue than previously reported, and I was told that BMW deems it unsafe to keep driving the vehicle, and will be setting me up with a rental car with no resolution in sight.

Once BMW contacts me, I'll be asking for either more money on top of the original $1000 BMW gave, waiving of payments until this is resolved and we get the car back in our hands, and/or a new model. I didn't buy a $56k vehicle to not drive it.

Has anyone else heard anything similar from their local dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #11
veloso77
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive30e x-Line

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
What's interesting is I took my X3e, which is on the recall list, in for servicing for a separate issue a couple days ago (creaking in the sunroof) and I had asked about the status of the recall. The dealer, expectedly, did not have any updates, but I received a call from my service advisor today stating that they are stopping the sale of X3e's again, and have to keep my car, and that BMW Corporate will be reaching out to me in the next week or so.

Apparently this is a much bigger issue than previously reported, and I was told that BMW deems it unsafe to keep driving the vehicle, and will be setting me up with a rental car with no resolution in sight.

Once BMW contacts me, I'll be asking for either more money on top of the original $1000 BMW gave, waiving of payments until this is resolved and we get the car back in our hands, and/or a new model. I didn't buy a $56k vehicle to not drive it.

Thanks for sharing. I am in the market for one (delivery down here is estimated by March 2021 only) but gotta admit this is very frustrating. Really considering going to a XC60.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for the update. I’m personally very frustrated by this. I have personally not really been driving the car because of this. If I could do it over again I would not have purchased this car given the serious issue and the lack of remedy for 2 months now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
viper689
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
Thank you for the update. I’m personally very frustrated by this. I have personally not really been driving the car because of this. If I could do it over again I would not have purchased this car given the serious issue and the lack of remedy for 2 months now.
What’s interesting is I went to the dealership today as I needed to get some items out of the car as I wasn’t sure how long it’d be at the dealer now, and I was talking to my service advisor and service manager, and they told me they’d have an update by the middle of the week this week. Apparently they’re still working with corporate to determine an inspection process for “potentially affected vehicles”, so it’s possible that our vehicle isn’t even affected, but will need to be inspected properly to be sure. The recall notice was sent to those that may have been affected, apparently. Will find out more within the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
ECinEI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 30e

I’ve been following this also as my wife drives an apparently unaffected 30e that was built in late June early July 2020. Evidently not every vehicle has the affected batteries as we’ve heard nothing from BMW regarding a recall of our vehicle. Linked below is what appears to be an inspection/repair protocol for affected vehicles. It’s dated 11-24-20.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V601-0256.pdf.

Hope I got the right one. I’m doing this on an iPad and find cutting and pasting tricky at times.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
Ldb25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECinEI View Post
I've been following this also as my wife drives an apparently unaffected 30e that was built in late June early July 2020. Evidently not every vehicle has the affected batteries as we've heard nothing from BMW regarding a recall of our vehicle. Linked below is what appears to be an inspection/repair protocol for affected vehicles. It's dated 11-24-20.

Hope I got the right one. I'm doing this on an iPad and find cutting and pasting tricky at times.
Thanks for the update. I've heard nothing since the initial call from BMW and the recall letter a few weeks later. That was over a month ago. I'm driving my X3e as my daily driver and it's disappointing not being able to charge. Hoping the dealer and BMW NA get squared away and start inspecting vehicles soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
viper689
Private
Rep

UPDATE

I received a call from my Client Advisor yesterday, and he indicated that they will need to replace the entire battery, but the batteries are on backorder and no timeline on when it'll get fixed. In this time, however, we're not allowed to drive the car, so BMW will be setting us up with a (presumably comparable) long term rental through Enterprise.

At that time, we'll be speaking with BMW corporate on further concessions. We'll be asking for waiving of payments and extension of warranty at a minimum, and potentially even a new model if this lingers for too long. The CA did mention that any reimbursement of monthly payments would come after we get the car back, so we'd still make payments, but BMW would reimburse after the fact. Will see what ends up being agreed upon, but will keep you posted on what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECinEI View Post
I’ve been following this also as my wife drives an apparently unaffected 30e that was built in late June early July 2020. Evidently not every vehicle has the affected batteries as we’ve heard nothing from BMW regarding a recall of our vehicle. Linked below is what appears to be an inspection/repair protocol for affected vehicles. It’s dated 11-24-20.

Hope I got the right one. I’m doing this on an iPad and find cutting and pasting tricky at times.
Recall says it could result in a thermal event, they mean an exploding battery and a car destroyed by fire.
Did they not leak check them and allow water in ? Winter time with salty water on the road is even worse.
Batteries are not the way to save the environment really
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
TXBDan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e, Cayman S, E30 racecar

Quote:
UPDATE

I received a call from my Client Advisor yesterday, and he indicated that they will need to replace the entire battery, but the batteries are on backorder and no timeline on when it'll get fixed. In this time, however, we're not allowed to drive the car, so BMW will be setting us up with a (presumably comparable) long term rental through Enterprise.

At that time, we'll be speaking with BMW corporate on further concessions. We'll be asking for waiving of payments and extension of warranty at a minimum, and potentially even a new model if this lingers for too long. The CA did mention that any reimbursement of monthly payments would come after we get the car back, so we'd still make payments, but BMW would reimburse after the fact. Will see what ends up being agreed upon, but will keep you posted on what happens.
Dang. At least they're being somewhat reasonable with compensation i guess.

I wonder what the story is on not having a battery fix. I'm sure hoping the latest cars (like mine) are shipping with a fixed battery so i wonder why they can't give you guys these batteries. Maybe a supply issue. Or maybe there's no real fix and they're giving the new cars the same crappy batteries. But its a workmanship/build issue so it must be fixable.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
viper689
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
Dang. At least they're being somewhat reasonable with compensation i guess.

I wonder what the story is on not having a battery fix. I'm sure hoping the latest cars (like mine) are shipping with a fixed battery so i wonder why they can't give you guys these batteries. Maybe a supply issue. Or maybe there's no real fix and they're giving the new cars the same crappy batteries. But its a workmanship/build issue so it must be fixable.
It sounded like it was indeed a supply issue. My bigger concern is that they said they don't know how long it could be till we receive a fix. He mentioned minimum 1 month, but I think it could bleed into 2-3 months easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #20
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for posting the update viper689 - before I read this post I called BMW for an update and received the same information. The only interesting detail is corporate BMW still seems to indicate that its safe to drive the vehicle. Now, I'm not a lawyer... but I wonder if this is because many states have lemon laws that state that a car that is out of service for 30 days is a lemon...

Honestly at this point I'm extremely irritated with BMW and their lack of communication. They should offer to repurchase the car or provide significant payment and warranty extension for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #21
viper689
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
thanks for posting the update viper689 - before I read this post I called BMW for an update and received the same information. The only interesting detail is corporate BMW still seems to indicate that its safe to drive the vehicle. Now, I'm not a lawyer... but I wonder if this is because many states have lemon laws that state that a car that is out of service for 30 days is a lemon...

Honestly at this point I'm extremely irritated with BMW and their lack of communication. They should offer to repurchase the car or provide significant payment and warranty extension for this.
Agreed. At this point, my goal is replacement vehicle. I'd accept at a minimum reimbursement of monthly payments/extension of warranty, but there's gotta be some middle ground as well. I don't want to be in a comparable rental for 3 months with no resolution in sight.

You bring up a good point in the Lemon Law however. I did just to a little bit of light reading on California Lemon Law and it does state that if a vehicle is within Manufacturer Warranty and out of commission for 30 non-consecutive days, then it can be considered a lemon, but it seems to be a bit arbitrary on how much good faith the manufacturer is putting forth. If BMW foots the bill for monthly payments, then I may not have much of a case.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
kbulo
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the update. Agree with all your comments. Kinda unacceptable in terms of transparency and communication. Especially for a $50k+ car.

I’ve been in the holding loop since summer with apparently no end in sight. #BMWFail

Quote:
UPDATE

Appreciate 0