BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #1
Jasonhong
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 2016

Just installed LED DRL and parking lights

As everyone here who got halogen light, I thought LED is standard for x3 but mine was not
I really didn't like it on my 2016 x3 and halogen light makes x3 more than 10 years old. So I went to BMW service to ask quote but it was almost 4K to have that.
Secondly I tried to get angel ring only, but I realized that I need to take off the bumper to attach it. So I decide to change to halogen to LED bulb and it took only 4 minute to change DRL, low beam, and parking light.

I got blue halogen H7 bulb for low beam. When I looking at my light it looks white but in the car at night objects are looks yellowish. But at least it looks white when I see the light directly.

W21W LED ($18)for DRL. It looks great and I'm so happy with this.

W5 LED ($10) Phillips for parking light. I like it as well.

But I realized that 2 LED gave me a warning sign and it is kind of annoying when I turn off the engine it keep pops up.

Here is my question. Is this warning sign will harm my car?
Is there anyway I can remove this? I heard that coding can able to do this but I don't know where I need to start.
I have maintenance warranty until next year, if I have this LED light instead of halogen when I go to BMW for maintenance (for engine oil or break pad such thing) my warranty will be void? Or if I coding to remove warning sign?

I just bought this car a month ago and learning everyday but still have so many thing I do not know. Thank for reading! And sorry for my horrible English.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
brankster
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 30D M Sport

I put them in mine and had the same warning lights so removed them. You can buy a decoder which will remove the warnings. Not sure what is the best one to get though. Some people just live with the warning lights. Wont do any harm but annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhong View Post
As everyone here who got halogen light, I thought LED is standard for x3 but mine was not
I really didn't like it on my 2016 x3 and halogen light makes x3 more than 10 years old. So I went to BMW service to ask quote but it was almost 4K to have that.
Secondly I tried to get angel ring only, but I realized that I need to take off the bumper to attach it. So I decide to change to halogen to LED bulb and it took only 4 minute to change DRL, low beam, and parking light.

I got blue halogen H7 bulb for low beam. When I looking at my light it looks white but in the car at night objects are looks yellowish. But at least it looks white when I see the light directly.

But I realized that 2 LED gave me a warning sign and it is kind of annoying when I turn off the engine it keep pops up.

Is there anyway I can remove this? I heard that coding can able to do this but I don't know where I need to start.
I have maintenance warranty until next year, if I have this LED light instead of halogen when I go to BMW for maintenance (for engine oil or break pad such thing) my warranty will be void? Or if I coding to remove warning sign?

I just bought this car a month ago and learning everyday but still have so many thing I do not know. Thank for reading! And sorry for my horrible English.
I've been interested in doing this myself, in fact, I'd check out the thread labeled on here "Xenon Plug and Play", and have been told you can live with the warnings about your headlights malfunctioning. One thing to consider though I've been told is that the LEDs can run extremely hot if not coded properly, which of course could lead to bigger issues. So something to keep in mind. Also, with the LEDs, I'd make sure they're leveled correctly so you aren't blinding on coming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Simple, you need to code your car. Led and halogen bulbs uses different voltages. Led uses less so your car gives errors and flickering. Car will send voltage checks expecting halogen bulbs and will think your bulbs have problems and not expecting led bulbs. This topic has been discussed for years and to address. The other alternative than coding is to use resistors but is messy wiring and will run hotter.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

BimmerCode app.
      07-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
One thing to consider though I've been told is that the LEDs can run extremely hot if not coded properly, which of course could lead to bigger issues. So something to keep in mind. Also, with the LEDs, I'd make sure they're leveled correctly so you aren't blinding on coming traffic.
LEDs run cooler than Halogen, don't know where you heard they don't.

If they are installed in the high beam location, those will shine higher. After installing them, stand way out in front of the vehicle and put you head the height of a person in a car and see how much glare they produce. If you would not want a vehicle coming at you with that amount of glare take them out. If there's no glare, good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
Simple, you need to code your car. Led and halogen bulbs uses different voltages. Led uses less so your car gives errors and flickering. Car will send voltage checks expecting halogen bulbs and will think your bulbs have problems and not expecting led bulbs.
To be more accurate, they both run the same voltage, but the LEDs run less current (amps). The computer is measuring the resistance, not the voltage, and since resistance is too low, it detects that as a bulb out. So, yeah, coding tells the computer to not perform the resistant check. I would do the coding, not add resistors.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Generally, blue tinted bulbs put out less light output (lumens) than a clear bulb. It's like putting sun glasses on the bulb LOL. If you care what your car looks like from standing outside it, then you got the look you wanted. Personally, I care about what they look like while driving my car with the most output possible without blinding oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post

To be more accurate, they both run the same voltage, but the LEDs run less current (amps). The computer is measuring the resistance, not the voltage, and since resistance is too low, it detects that as a bulb out. So, yeah, coding tells the computer to not perform the resistant check. I would do the coding, not add resistors.
You're correct, just typing away without thought.
Just tired of seeing repeated questions for those who don't search before posting.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just tired of seeing repeated questions for those who don't search before posting.
I hear you, this has been discussed numerous times.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
Jasonhong
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 2016

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post

You're correct, just typing away without thought.
You are right. I needed to post this under the old thread. I was looking for it not only here but also all over google, But I could not get exact information what I wanted to have. Im new to here and I didn't know this kind of repeated posting makes you all mad. I'm so sorry if this post bothers you guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are right. I needed to post this under the old thread. I was looking for it not only here but also all over google, But I could not get exact information what I wanted to have. Im new to here and I didn't know this kind of repeated posting makes you all mad. I'm so sorry if this post bothers you guys.
Yes, forum searches are generally weak, use google and enter something like this: site:x3.xbimmers.com led+error
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
cruiling
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Greetings everyone!

I am new to the forum and i don't have the privilege to make new post yet, so i hope someone could help me out.

i also got the warning message after replace the halogen DRL with LED on my 2017 X3, so i removed the LED and put the halogen bulb back. However, the weird thing is, the halogen bulb won't light up, and i still have that warning message. It feels like something has cut the power of that bulb, is this possible? what can i do now?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #13
hendrickmilward
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Hello, Jasonhong! Your English is pretty good, no worries. I think you did a good job. In my opinion, you made a perfect decision and replaced your led light with good bulbs(comparing the brand, quality, and pricing). Also, thank you for the idea. I think I will join you and will put the similar bulbs as you did, but I am not sure that I will have the same delivery costs. Can you please provide some additional photos with your smart bulb turned on? Thank you for the answer in advance, sir!

Last edited by hendrickmilward; 05-16-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0