BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2022, 02:03 AM   #1
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Using the BMW charging card abroad

I'll be travelling from the UK to Slovakia next week to visit family, I have the discounted IONITY membership and I was just wondering whether the discount applies abroad too or just in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 02:41 AM   #2
tc_303
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

I used it in France and it work (as in it let me charge) no idea what it cost me though as i didnt check.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 02:52 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
I'll be travelling from the UK to Slovakia next week to visit family, I have the discounted IONITY membership and I was just wondering whether the discount applies abroad too or just in the UK?
From what I understand, you need to view the prices in the app. It is badly explained in the tariff information sheet here:
https://bmw-public-charging.com/o/dc...45/tariffs/pdf

Looking in the app, prices and methods of charging seem to vary by country. France charges by the hour (€18/h = €0.18/kWh @ 100kW charge rate = £0.15). Belgium charges by the kWh (€0.28/kWh = £0.24/kWh). Germany is by the kWh (€0.35/kWh = £0.30). You can filter the app just to show IONITY chargers.

I am very surprised how cheap they are considering the price of domestic energy in mainland Europe. It seems to be even higher than the UK!

I met a guy in a Polestar. He lives in Wales, but his wife is from Gibraltar. He said that he regularly drives down there, hopping between IONITY chargers. He said it worked really well.
Appreciate 1
keninuk79.50
      05-20-2022, 02:54 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_303 View Post
I used it in France and it work (as in it let me charge) no idea what it cost me though as i didnt check.
Companies love trusting customers like you! Ka-Ching!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 03:09 AM   #5
tc_303
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
haha yea, great comment and useful to the thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:36 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I apologise for introducing some humour. I didn't realise that was not allowed here.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 05:03 AM   #7
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
From what I understand, you need to view the prices in the app. It is badly explained in the tariff information sheet here:
https://bmw-public-charging.com/o/dcs-api/customer/groupIds/2312345/tariffs/pdf

Looking in the app, prices and methods of charging seem to vary by country. France charges by the hour (€18/h = €0.18/kWh @ 100kW charge rate = £0.15). Belgium charges by the kWh (€0.28/kWh = £0.24/kWh). Germany is by the kWh (€0.35/kWh = £0.30). You can filter the app just to show IONITY chargers.

I am very surprised how cheap they are considering the price of domestic energy in mainland Europe. It seems to be even higher than the UK!

I met a guy in a Polestar. He lives in Wales, but his wife is from Gibraltar. He said that he regularly drives down there, hopping between IONITY chargers. He said it worked really well.
Thanks, that's helpful!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 05:05 AM   #8
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I apologise for introducing some humour. I didn't realise that was not allowed here.
As the official OP of this thread I can confirm that humour IS allowed in this thread, I repeat, humour is allowed in this thread.

Thank You
Appreciate 4
keninuk79.50
GDEvans404.50
Rathian153.50
      05-20-2022, 05:11 AM   #9
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True! But that's probably the reason they bill us once per month. I also have to admit not knowing how much I pay for charging most of the time and it's these people (like us) that allow companies like IONITY to keep hiking their prices
Appreciate 0