BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2022, 02:48 AM   #1
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Tesla Superchargers open in UK

Read this morning the good news Tesla to extend the “charging for non-Tesla drivers” to England, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Spain and Belgium!

Used them several times, I can only strongly advise to download the app and arrange access. Very practically located and reliable. But pricey. As we say in Holland “it costs, but you get something in return”
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 03:41 AM   #2
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Read this morning the good news Tesla to extend the “charging for non-Tesla drivers” to England, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Spain and Belgium!

Used them several times, I can only strongly advise to download the app and arrange access. Very practically located and reliable. But pricey. As we say in Holland “it costs, but you get something in return”
So Tesla are to open up some of its chargers in the UK to non Tesla cars, starting with 15 of them (out of almost 600), can you imagine the daggers from Tesla owners if you are there using one of 'their' chargers, especially if all in use, LOL, I see trouble ahead!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 03:52 AM   #3
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imspartacus123 View Post
So Tesla are to open up some of its chargers in the UK to non Tesla cars, starting with 15 of them (out of almost 600), can you imagine the daggers from Tesla owners if you are there using one of 'their' chargers, especially if all in use, LOL, I see trouble ahead!!!
Used them in France and Holland frequently, never had any issue with availability nor with sour faces so far. In France been approached by a Tesla driver asking questions and looking into the iX3. Concluded it would make a serious candidate replacing his Model X.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:01 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I've just opened an account in the Tesla app.

It appears that this is only being opened up on selected Superchargers. The nearest Supercharger to me is 30 miles away. However, the closest one that I can access is 165 miles from here!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:18 AM   #5
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post

It appears that this is only being opened up on selected Superchargers. The nearest Supercharger to me is 30 miles away. However, the closest one that I can access is 165 miles from here!!
Closest to me as part of the pilot scheme is 30 miles away (around 45 mins), handy for trips to/from North Wales
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:26 AM   #6
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

This is of course fantastic news for us ix3 owners.

I do have a slight concern reading about the Tesla cables being very short and with our ports on the right side (when looking from rear) and potentially 'blocking' an extra bay?

How have you all got on in the Netherlands with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:09 AM   #7
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:

Where I can find non tesla chargers on app?

Last edited by adam.b; 05-19-2022 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #8
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Once you register etc the main banner when opening the app says 'charge your non-Tesla'.

...61p/kWh!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:29 AM   #9
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Thanks, just saw it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:32 AM   #10
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud78 View Post
Once you register etc the main banner when opening the app says 'charge your non-Tesla'.

...61p/kWh!
Cheaper than I was expecting. Certainly less than IONITY charge for people without preferential pricing, such as BMW Charging (69p/kWh). And only slightly more than BP, at 55p/kWh.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:35 AM   #11
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

...61p/kWh!
Article I read said you could pay a subscription fee which would bring that rate down, but not sure to what, 61p/kWh is pretty high but then the electrons are of very high quality, like Opimax Electrons
      05-19-2022, 05:48 AM   #12
Hud78
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cheaper than I was expecting. Certainly less than IONITY charge for people without preferential pricing, such as BMW Charging (69p/kWh). And only slightly more than BP, at 55p/kWh.
True, but only drops slightly to 50p/kWh with membership (£10.99pm). I guess if you're going to take over 100kWh per month it's possibly worth a membership.

But...compared to 26p with Ionity with subscription, it's quite expensive!

Ironically the supercharger near me is opened up but there's also an Ionity very close to it. Both are too close to home to be of use unless we need a quick top up to make the last 15 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 05:55 AM   #13
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
True, but only drops slightly to 50p/kWh with membership (£10.99pm). I guess if you're going to take over 100kWh per month it's possibly worth a membership.

But...compared to 26p with Ionity with subscription, it's quite expensive!
However, once this opens up nationally it will be a useful backup option. There are vastly more Tesla superchargers than IONITY chargers.

Also, most EV drivers do not have access to IONITY at 26p. That is a BMW Charging offer. The Polestar special price is higher than that. And any BMW drivers without the subscription will be paying full price for IONITY.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:06 AM   #14
Hud78
Private
Rep

Quote:
However, once this opens up nationally it will be a useful backup option. There are vastly more Tesla superchargers than IONITY chargers.

Also, most EV drivers do not have access to IONITY at 26p. That is a BMW Charging offer. The Polestar special price is higher than that. And any BMW drivers without the subscription will be paying full price for IONITY.
Agree, it's definitely a useful backup.

With Ionity passport (open to anyone) it's 35p but you're ties into 12 months at £16.99pm - expensive option and not practical for the occasional long trip.

Interestingly, just noticed the membership price per kWh varies between the Tesla chargers. Eg Cambridge is 50p, but Grays is 48p and Uxbridge is 28p!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #15
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukkha156 View Post
This is of course fantastic news for us ix3 owners.

I do have a slight concern reading about the Tesla cables being very short and with our ports on the right side (when looking from rear) and potentially 'blocking' an extra bay?

How have you all got on in the Netherlands with this?

Both in Holland and France never been an issue. The 8 times I used a Tesla HPC there was always a bay available such to connect without obstructing another. Might occur in summer at certain stations along “Route du Solei” when extremely busy.

Cables are short, fact. Backwards parking is mandatory.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #16
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree, it's definitely a useful backup.

With Ionity passport (open to anyone) it's 35p but you're ties into 12 months at £16.99pm - expensive option and not practical for the occasional long trip.

Interestingly, just noticed the membership price per kWh varies between the Tesla chargers. Eg Cambridge is 50p, but Grays is 48p and Uxbridge is 28p!
To make the BMW Charging IONITY scheme worthwhile over PAYG rates, you need to use an average of 26kWh per month.

The IONITY Passport would need usage of 50kWh per month to make a saving.

The Tesla subscription has such a small price difference for the chargers “near” me, that it would take 92kWh per month to pay for the subscription fee.

I’ll be sticking with the BMW subscription when my free trial expires. Under this deal, it is cheaper for me to charge at IONITY during the day than it is to charge at home! Crazy!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #17
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To make the BMW Charging IONITY scheme worthwhile over PAYG rates, you need to use an average of 26kWh per month.

The IONITY Passport would need usage of 50kWh per month to make a saving.

The Tesla subscription has such a small price difference for the chargers “near” me, that it would take 92kWh per month to pay for the subscription fee.

I’ll be sticking with the BMW subscription when my free trial expires. Under this deal, it is cheaper for me to charge at IONITY during the day than it is to charge at home! Crazy!
I have just been looking to see where my local IONITY charging station is, answer is, nowhere near me, Luckily the one in MK may just about do me when I am doing the odd journey down south and back, I was expecting to see loads of IONITY everywhere, does anybody know if they have a rollout plan, non in Wales, and non near Birmingham.
      05-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #18
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:

165 miles - Perfect for a stop there if you are planning a trip that way

I will probably load the app as Banbury, Uxbridge or Cardiff may prove useful. Even Manchester if heading up that way.

Interesting times ahead and Tesla may find their chargers being EV'd...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #19
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
165 miles - Perfect for a stop there if you are planning a trip that way

I will probably load the app as Banbury, Uxbridge or Cardiff may prove useful. Even Manchester if heading up that way.

Interesting times ahead and Tesla may find their chargers being EV'd...
I would have to go into Wales for my nearest one. And that's only any use if I wanted to go to Wales which, despite my name, is a rare occurrence!!! If I'm going the other way, IONITY is about the same distance away and half the price.

Tesla will be a backup option. Although it will be worth paying the premium price just to annoy a few Tesla drivers!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #20
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

My regular travel does not include using 3rd-party rapid chargers very often at all, so hopefully I will not have to resort to using the Tesla chargers. But I guess it is good to know I could in an extreme emergency.
Appreciate 0