BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
fvelasquez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 X3 F25

iDrive constantly rebooting

Hello everyone! I've searched the forum for similar problems to mine, but still haven't got a clear answer that would work for me. My problem is this:

My car is a 2013 X3 F25 xDrive 28i. A couple of days ago the iDrive started rebooting itself without allowing the full menu to load, it just loops between the BMW logo and then rebooting over and over. No physical buttons are working, not from the center console or the steeting wheel.

I've already tried rebooting manually by holding the volume button for a few seconds and I've also disconnected the battery for at least 30 minutes, while joining the positive and negative terminals for a few seconds, as per my mechanic's instructions. Both of these things have not worked and the iDrive system is still constantly rebooting.

To make matters worse, I've got now an "Increased battery drainage" message on the dashboard that would seem to show that the battery is not recharging itself properly! I've tried running the car for more than an hour to ensure that the battery recharges itself but that has not worked, so I'm now stuck with two problems that I fear might make me take the car to the dealer (obviously the car is way out of warranty).

So basically, I'd like to ask for help with these two issues:

1. Is there a way to make a hard reset of the iDrive system to restore it to factory settings without the need to take it to the dealer? I'm very afraid that they might just tell me to replace the head unit so I'm hoping that a factory reset might just do it.

2. I've had zero issues with my battery up until I tried the disconnect method and I'm 100% sure it was correctly connected again, so I'm at a loss as to what is causing this issue right now. Could it be the reboot issue that may be draining my battery even while the car is turned off?

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers you guys can give me! I can provide a bit more details through my car scanner if needed!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvelasquez View Post
Hello everyone! I've searched the forum for similar problems to mine, but still haven't got a clear answer that would work for me. My problem is this:

My car is a 2013 X3 F25 xDrive 28i. A couple of days ago the iDrive started rebooting itself without allowing the full menu to load, it just loops between the BMW logo and then rebooting over and over. No physical buttons are working, not from the center console or the steeting wheel.

I've already tried rebooting manually by holding the volume button for a few seconds and I've also disconnected the battery for at least 30 minutes, while joining the positive and negative terminals for a few seconds, as per my mechanic's instructions. Both of these things have not worked and the iDrive system is still constantly rebooting.

To make matters worse, I've got now an "Increased battery drainage" message on the dashboard that would seem to show that the battery is not recharging itself properly! I've tried running the car for more than an hour to ensure that the battery recharges itself but that has not worked, so I'm now stuck with two problems that I fear might make me take the car to the dealer (obviously the car is way out of warranty).

So basically, I'd like to ask for help with these two issues:

1. Is there a way to make a hard reset of the iDrive system to restore it to factory settings without the need to take it to the dealer? I'm very afraid that they might just tell me to replace the head unit so I'm hoping that a factory reset might just do it.

2. I've had zero issues with my battery up until I tried the disconnect method and I'm 100% sure it was correctly connected again, so I'm at a loss as to what is causing this issue right now. Could it be the reboot issue that may be draining my battery even while the car is turned off?

Many thanks in advance for any help or pointers you guys can give me! I can provide a bit more details through my car scanner if needed!

Bad hard disk drive. Get it removed and cloned as soon as possible. If it finally gives up the ghost, it will cost more to get it fixed. You will need an automotive-grade HDD. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #3
Roy M
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i 2019 (G30)

idrive resetting itself.

Same happened to me a few times. Try disconnect and then updating your iphone if you have apple carplay or a phone connected via bluetooth, after that reset idrive using volume button then reconnect your phone but turn the brightness down a few notches on the idrive screen. I did this and it's been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
Pneking
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 30d f25

Garage List
2017 bmw x3 30d  [8.00]
I had a faulty cic I drive on a 645i, I found a company in Romania called mura, I was sceptical at first, but I have to say how wrong I was! Including postage, diagnostic and repair and return via airmail it was away for 3/4 days! In the uk I got quotes of 7/10 days turnaround at a cost of £700, I paid (in 2016) £270 inc air mail postage. The comms was excellent too.
https://mca.electricmura.ro/en/
Appreciate 1