BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Installation help for MMI Carplay on F25

Sorry in advance if these kind questions pop up all the time, I tried searching but couldn't find specifics.

Are there any videos or documentation available that outline step by step how to install MMI carplay devices on X3 F25?

I bought a Mr12Volt MMI unit for CIC and hit few problems when trying to install it.

1. I could not disconnect IDrive connector. I tried pliers, tried to expand it with flat head screwdriver, it just would not go out. I assume the one I need to disconnect is the one that is pretty much all the way up to the IDrive knob? I feel I am getting close to damaging it...

2. How to thread the unit's IDrive cable from the controller to the center console, does cupholder need to be taken out? Online videos typically have a layout different from how it is on X3.

3. Where to put the MMI? I saw folks on this forum mention taking the screen out and putting the unit behind the screen.

4. Where to route the USB and Mic cable, also Mic placement?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I would check on YouTube there a bunch of videos. Might be a different brand but when I did the same thing there were a dozen vids there
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

I did it. The only space to mount the unit is behind the screen. Unless you find an extension cable that can allow you to mount it above the glove box, this is your best shot. Also buy an extension USB cable port and mount it inside the glove box or somewhere around the cupholder area.

If I had to do it again I would try to find an extension cable and mount it away from the screen to avoid excessive heat.

1-disconnect the battery
2-tie a rag in the hatch latch
3-remove the trims. Just the start button trim, upper vent, and lower HU controls trim. That's it.
4-Remove harnesses from the middle vent trim
5-remove CIC or NBT cables from HU
6-try to somehow visualize space in the well where the HU resides You will need every cm of it as it is a tight fit
check the orientation of the cables when connecting the screen to the MMI unit. If you can a "no signal" error on the screen your cables are wrong. Recheck them
7-and put everything back.

If you check you can with ISTA you will get errors regarding this. This is normal due to signal interception/interruption of the MMI unit.

As far as accessories, get with the vendor. There are hundreds of MMI units out there.

USB extension unit

Extension Cable

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 05-18-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
I did it. The only space to mount the unit is behind the screen. Unless you find an extension cable that can allow you to mount it above the glove box, this is your best shot.
I tried to mount it above the glove box and that failed
There's not enough space above, but cables did reach (depends on build for each country I guess). Also tried behind the instrument cluster...also fail due to cable lengths. Only spaces possible are either behind the CIC/NBT unit (there's no space if unit is too big) or behind the screen.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 05-17-2022 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
1) Snap tabs, depress them properly then the connector will come out.
2) This depends, you may or may not need to remove the cupholder depending on the size of the cables. You may be able to just fish the wires under it with zip ties. I had to take out the cupholder.
3) Behind the screen, can leave as-is or try securing it...I was lazy on this part, but it works
4) Most route the USB near the cupholder since it's easier. That way they won't have to remove the cupholder since reinstalling it is a pain. I wanted the USB in the center console, so I removed stuff there and drilled a hole for an aftermarket USB port. I also wanted to keep the original USB port/snap cradle.
Kinda surprised that your MMI is not using the factory microphone. In theory it would be best to route the microphone towards the drivers side sun visor, so remove the passenger a pillar trim, glovebox, and partially detach headliner to get the wire through.
Yeah... he said that he has CIC which most do not have mics from the factory unless they come with COMBOX.

I have NBT and when I pulled the glove box out I saw tons of space there. Just the damn factory cable was too short to do anything with it.
Appreciate 0