BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #45
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_clams View Post
I found that the seat bottom on my 21 with vernasca leather was very hard and became quite uncomfortable after short drives. I ended up using a cushion on top of it for about 10 months. I took the cushion off one day and was surprised that the seat bottom had actually become softer over time to the point that I didn't need the cushion any longer. My 22 LCI has the perforated sensatac seats and the seat bottom is much softer than the vernasca leather. I did not need any after market cushion with the sensatac seats.
Interesting! How did you get sensatac in the x3m? I don't even see that as an option. I tried removing my seat cushion yesterday and was instantly disappointed by the outer thigh/hip pain that came on in 25 minutes. I have been using all my body weight to spread the bolsters at every red light (yes it looks ridiculous) and using conditioner, but I have no noticed a difference in my pain point.

The standard x3 seat feels great to me. I am not sure if the M seat (non sport seat) will work for me.

I have to sell the car at this point because I cant get comfortable and am not willing to sit on a pad for the rest of the ownership. I'd like to get an x3m non comp (to avoid the sports sears) but am still worried about what those will feel like.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:53 AM   #46
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW330i2022

Update: Great news for my particular backside and non-comfort situation.

I have now driven 3,000 miles on a sheep skin cover on my driver's seat. It has made the total difference to my backside being cushioned; it also served to elevate pressure softly up and away from being directly on the harder seat bottom. Love the car and appreciate the forum advice of trying out the sheep skin! It only cost $200 which is way cheaper (and much, much better) than having to give up the 330i.

My physical therapist also adjusted my seating position to be more upright and shifted my right knee position for the offset pedals! Sheepskin is by Overland and easy to order on line. Hope this info helps someone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #47
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBMWguy85 View Post
The bottom bolsters of the 2022 X3m Comp are literally unbearable. It makes me happy I am not alone, but sad that I will sell this car because of the pathetic attempt at making seats for anyone that's > 6' tall and muscular with big thighs/ass. lol

Has anyone changed the seats with a fabricator? The bolsters make my drive miserable after 30 minutes. Luckily I purchase a purple seat pad and have that in there for the time being until I get rid of the car. There IS NO other spots SUV that I want or that can match the driving experience. It is really really unfortunate.

Pleas let me know if anyone has found a solution for the bolsters digging into their hip bones because I would love to keep the vehicle and or get another one in the future.
Find a Recaro dealer

Or meekoutlet.com
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:19 PM   #48
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Sooooo.... reporting back in after a year in the M40i... my seats by the way are the Vernasca non-ventilated... I've noticed them bothering/hurting a smidge more these days. So I've started playing around with the seat position quite a bit. Like others have pointed out, it's the bottom seat/cushion that's the issue for me. Firm, bolsters are too narrow, and seat itself is positioned a bit weird so as my right leg feels slightly "offset"... all this in turn puts a weird pressure on my right hip (and sometimes the leg itself). Now then, it doesn't help that I've just started getting early onset arthritis in my right hip from an injury about 20 years ago... but still, I know it's the seating position because I can adjust it, and the "discomfort" goes away for a bit... then slowly returns. Having said all this, it's still only at mabye a 2 or 3 inconvenience at this point... mainly because 90% of the time, my trips are less than 30 minutes... so not a big deal. Still, it's concerning to me that the issue seems to SLOWLY be getting worse, not better. Guess I'll keep playing with the position and see if I can find a sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:17 AM   #49
BimmerXdrive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Senatec seats are more comfortable and better bolstered then the Vernesca leather seats. This I compared when I had a loaner. My 19' wouldn't come fitted with ambient lighting unless the Vernasca leather seat option was added.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:22 AM   #50
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerXdrive View Post
Senatec seats are more comfortable and better bolstered then the Vernesca leather seats. This I compared when I had a loaner. My 19' wouldn't come fitted with ambient lighting unless the Vernasca leather seat option was added.
I fully admit… seats were one of the few things I did NOT research before buying the car… to make matters worse, I came from a Macan GTS with the 14-way seats, which are dang near perfection in car seats.

Regardless- so long as I'm not getting butt or backaches after driving, it prob won't matter in the long run. We never take the X4 on long trips (that's what the LR is for). What's really funny though? We took the Audi TTS on a road trip and those seats were also near perfect. Not an ounce of fatigue on a 4 hour road trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #51
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Find a good auto upholstery shop and have them refit with memory foam
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1266.00
      01-03-2023, 04:59 AM   #52
aquamaster
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: G02 3.0d Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro435 View Post
I have a similar issue with the pain on the bottom of my left leg after 1.5 hours of driving. Since my commute is regularly 50 minutes it is not too bad but I do travel 3.5 hours semi- regularly to see friends and family.

Has anyone considered changing the seat? Would another BMW model seat fit/work like a X5 seat?
I have exactly the same issue mate, only on the left leg, weird?! Daily commuting in town, not being on a long drive so far. The car is a long term lease with spec M Sport seats S711. I have already ordered a cushion and start massaging my left bottom each evening ) I really hope the cushion will work for me...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #53
astrohip
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

I've found the seats in my 2019 X3 M40i are the worst seats I've had in a BMW. And I've driven BMWs since the mid-80s, so I know their seats. This is the first BMW where my back & butt hurt after an hour or so of driving. And it was consistent (I make a 1.5 hour hwy drive twice a week)--every time.

I ended up buying a seat cushion, which has made it tolerable, but it's a wonky kludge.

I've owned 3, 5, X5, and now an X3, over 35+ years. All new, almost all with sports package and do-everything every-which-way premium seats. And obviously I loved them, as I keep coming back (probably 15 BMWs over this time frame, between wife & I). But between this, and the ubiquitous lack of road feel (gone downhill since 2000s), it will be my last. My wife, also a BMW driver, but only since 2000, recently traded her X5 for a Cayenne. Holy Moly, is that a car! Road feel like the BMWs of the 1980s/1990s, and a great seat.