BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #23
Gonatas23
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Do you sleep better on a firm or a soft mattress? BMWs are firm, always have been in my experience. Its really a signature of the brand. They want to give you a stiff Barvarian hug when you fly around the corners. If you need a feather bed, go Mercedes or Audi/Porsche.

Add to this all the different body types people are bringing to the seats and all the built in adjustability possible in the seats (and potential for badly adjusting them). If you are in love with those 21" tires and the run flats, that probably doesn't help either.

Brands tend to be successful because they distinguish themselves in one way or another; otherwise all the brands would be making the same choices. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is as the man has said.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #24
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Had a ‘19 M40i, recently got the wife a ‘22 30i xDrive with standard sensatec seats. I do find the seats in the ‘22 some of the best we’ve ever had. Like the three bears, not too firm, not too soft, just right.

The ‘19 we had had seats that were a bit too firm for long hauls.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 10:06 AM   #25
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40i4me View Post
Wallet stuffed with cash in your back pocket?
Couldn't fit with a wallet lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #26
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonatas23 View Post
Do you sleep better on a firm or a soft mattress? BMWs are firm, always have been in my experience. Its really a signature of the brand. They want to give you a stiff Barvarian hug when you fly around the corners. If you need a feather bed, go Mercedes or Audi/Porsche.

Add to this all the different body types people are bringing to the seats and all the built in adjustability possible in the seats (and potential for badly adjusting them). If you are in love with those 21" tires and the run flats, that probably doesn't help either.

Brands tend to be successful because they distinguish themselves in one way or another; otherwise all the brands would be making the same choices. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is as the man has said.
I agree to what you're saying here. It is a very specific experience and it has to relate to preference and ergonomics. The 21' tires? Yeahh that adds to the tight suspension for sure, but not the seat pain.

With all that said, there are very few mattresses that would leave me in severe pain. Infarct, pain by mattress is one of the most over hyped misconceptions of causes of pain out there. The pain is typically caused from an imbalance or lack of mobility that stiffens when sleeping.

I say all that because the seat actually hurts and hurts bad within a short amount of time. Its also gotten significantly worse over the 16 months I'v owned the vehicle, presumably because my 255lbs broke in the seat in a less advantageous way

The pressure point below my hip bone on both sides is intense. I know an Audi, Porsche or benz will solve the problem given the seats in their vehicles, but I want the performance BMW spits out and know I wont be happy investing something that's not an eye turner and a driving experience (given the money we spend on our car "addictions").

Either I fix this issue or ditch the car and wait until something else makes me as happy as the bmw driving experience does... less the daggers in my side.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #27
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBMWguy85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonatas23 View Post

I agree to what you're saying here. It is a very specific experience and it has to relate to preference and ergonomics. The 21' tires? Yeahh that adds to the tight suspension for sure, but not the seat pain.

With all that said, there are very few mattresses that would leave me in severe pain. Infarct, pain by mattress is one of the most over hyped misconceptions of causes of pain out there. The pain is typically caused from an imbalance or lack of mobility that stiffens when sleeping.

I say all that because the seat actually hurts and hurts bad within a short amount of time. Its also gotten significantly worse over the 16 months I'v owned the vehicle, presumably because my 255lbs broke in the seat in a less advantageous way

The pressure point below my hip bone on both sides is intense. I know an Audi, Porsche or benz will solve the problem given the seats in their vehicles, but I want the performance BMW spits out and know I wont be happy investing something that's not an eye turner and a driving experience (given the money we spend on our car "addictions").

Either I fix this issue or ditch the car and wait until something else makes me as happy as the bmw driving experience does... less the daggers in my side.
Have you sat in and drove a Macan GTS with the 14-way or 18-way seats?

Most owners swear by the 18-way seats as Heaven… but I had the 14-way seats in my '17 and let me tell you, they were amazing. Not ONE time did my butt/body ever feel fatigued in that car. In fact, I've already noticed a tiny bit of discomfort in the M40i seats now 7 months into ownership. But it's no big deal to me, as I don't do longer than an hour in my car at any given time. If it's a long haul, we are taking the wifeys LR.

Anyhow- yes, I have noticed the X4 seats are fairly firm, but I don't have a solution for you other than to sell it and try another CUV. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #28
Mojobaggins
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post

Most owners swear by the 18-way seats as Heaven… but I had the 14-way seats in my '17 and let me tell you, they were amazing. Not ONE time did my butt/body ever feel fatigued in that car. In fact, I've already noticed a tiny bit of discomfort in the M40i seats now 7 months into ownership. But it's no big deal to me, as I don't do longer than an hour in my car at any given time. If it's a long haul, we are taking the wifeys LR.

Anyhow- yes, I have noticed the X4 seats are fairly firm, but I don't have a solution for you other than to sell it and try another CUV. Sorry.
Before the X3, I had owned two Volvo XC60s and the seats were amazing. I was looking to go a X5 M50i but air suspension isn't been offered and not looking for a firm ride again. I'm actually looking at a Cayenne GTS with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #29
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojobaggins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post

Before the X3, I had owned two Volvo XC60s and the seats were amazing. I was looking to go a X5 M50i but air suspension isn't been offered and not looking for a firm ride again. I'm actually looking at a Cayenne GTS with air suspension.
Cayenne is a different beast than a Macan… but a Cayenne GTS is a beast all on its own! C-GTS with PASM and Sport Chrono? That, my friend, is a helluva ride!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 07:59 PM   #30
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Life's too short to endure this pain. It should be especially easy to ditch your X3M in this crazy car market without loosing too much money. I'd be looking at a Macan GTS or Cayenne, for sure, if nothing in BMW's lineup fits you. Sure, the Porsches are considerably more costly -- but by all accounts worth it for discerning drivers. Biggest challenge may be finding one (or waiting for one to be built). Me, I'm a BMW guy; been that way for 30 years.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1272.00
      01-20-2022, 04:12 AM   #31
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW330i2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariopl View Post
Hi there,

I have 2019 G02 X4 and have Merino sport seat.
Car has 1000km on clock and until now everything was super comfortable.
After a while I have started to drive for longer trips and started to feel pain in my butt around side bones.
It feels like seat is too narrow in lower bolster area, causing pressure and pain.

I have read some comments it is common for seats in X3/X4.
How to get a relief?
Change seat position?
Wait some time until seat bet in?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers!
I just took home my first BMW a few days ago. My butt too cannot tolerate the seats, and the side bolsters are also hemming me in. What a disaster. I test drove 3 times but (like others have written about), 10 minute drives aren’t long enough. In the old days, you could take a car overnight.

But, seriously, my lower butt zone is completely out of alignment, and icky problems already resulted, so I am also going to have to sell my beautiful new ride. After crying for two days, and yes it’s my fault for not figuring out how to rent one first to test drive longer, I am grateful to see I’m not the only one. I hope other folks can find some less drastic solutions.

If anyone wants to buy a 5 day old 330i, I will be having to sell.

Thanks for all the great info I learned while my car was being built. Not a good start to my 2022. Take care all, RoGo330i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #32
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGo330i View Post
I just took home my first BMW a few days ago. My butt too cannot tolerate the seats, and the side bolsters are also hemming me in. What a disaster. I test drove 3 times but (like others have written about), 10 minute drives aren’t long enough. In the old days, you could take a car overnight.

But, seriously, my lower butt zone is completely out of alignment, and icky problems already resulted, so I am also going to have to sell my beautiful new ride. After crying for two days, and yes it’s my fault for not figuring out how to rent one first to test drive longer, I am grateful to see I’m not the only one. I hope other folks can find some less drastic solutions.

If anyone wants to buy a 5 day old 330i, I will be having to sell.

Thanks for all the great info I learned while my car was being built. Not a good start to my 2022. Take care all, RoGo330i
Do you have leather ventilation/non-ventilation seats, or sensa-tec?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:22 AM   #33
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Do you have leather ventilation/non-ventilation seats, or sensa-tec?
The seats are the vernasca leather with no ventilation. That was the leather trim available to order (no nappa or merino options).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #34
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
The bottom bolsters of the 2022 X3m Comp are literally unbearable. It makes me happy I am not alone, but sad that I will sell this car because of the pathetic attempt at making seats for anyone that's > 6' tall and muscular with big thighs/ass. lol

Has anyone changed the seats with a fabricator? The bolsters make my drive miserable after 30 minutes. Luckily I purchase a purple seat pad and have that in there for the time being until I get rid of the car. There IS NO other spots SUV that I want or that can match the driving experience. It is really really unfortunate.

Pleas let me know if anyone has found a solution for the bolsters digging into their hip bones because I would love to keep the vehicle and or get another one in the future.

I'm 6'4" and about 235 lbs - drove my M40i with Sensatec back from a dealership in NY to MI. 700+ miles. Zero problems with seat comfort for either me, or my 5'7" 125lb wife.

Sorry they're not working for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #35
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_G01 View Post
I'm 6'4" and about 235 lbs - drove my M40i with Sensatec back from a dealership in NY to MI. 700+ miles. Zero problems with seat comfort for either me, or my 5'7" 125lb wife.

Sorry they're not working for you.
Thank you for the nice reply. I’m really glad that you and your wife had a good long ride with no problems.

My CA at the dealership was actually really sympathetic and he’s going to get back to me if they will consider buying it back. California has no cooling off period.

Hope you have many, many more comfortable rides.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #36
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Mine had the M seats that came with the MSport Pro pack. At times they can be very comfortable, but at other times the high and narrow bolsters on the seat base can dig into my thighs. A thin memory foam pad resolved that issue by lifting me just enough to limit the pressure from the bolsters and I did a few 500 mile trips with no discomfort. However, by using the memory foam I felt a little too detached from the seat under cornering forces.
This week I traded in the M40i for a Volvo XC90(Don't ask) with the base comfort seats. First impression was mixed, getting a little uncomfortable on my rear after a 160 mile round trip. Ok new seats, early days and I was suffering some leg pain from the lower back prior to the trip. It just put the M seats into some sort of perspective for me on how good they could have been for larger people if only BMW had increased the width between the seat base bolsters or made them adjustable like the seat back bolsters
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #37
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
Mine had the M seats that came with the MSport Pro pack. At times they can be very comfortable, but at other times the high and narrow bolsters on the seat base can dig into my thighs. A thin memory foam pad resolved that issue by lifting me just enough to limit the pressure from the bolsters and I did a few 500 mile trips with no discomfort. However, by using the memory foam I felt a little too detached from the seat under cornering forces.
This week I traded in the M40i for a Volvo XC90(Don't ask) with the base comfort seats. First impression was mixed, getting a little uncomfortable on my rear after a 160 mile round trip. Ok new seats, early days and I was suffering some leg pain from the lower back prior to the trip. It just put the M seats into some sort of perspective for me on how good they could have been for larger people if only BMW had increased the width between the seat base bolsters or made them adjustable like the seat back bolsters

I agree.

Anyone know if the seats changed at all post the LCI update?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #38
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
I agree.

Anyone know if the seats changed at all post the LCI update?
Yes, the sport seat are softer compare to the 2020 I had. Noticed it as soon as I left the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #39
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Yes, the sport seat are softer compare to the 2020 I had. Noticed it as soon as I left the dealership.
Well that could be really good news for me. Which set up did you go with for the interior? All leather or the alcantara hybrid?. I’ve also read someone mentioning that they changed the shocks (different part number) from the 2020. Any difference in the ride?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:45 PM   #40
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Well that could be really good news for me. Which set up did you go with for the interior? All leather or the alcantara hybrid?. I’ve also read someone mentioning that they changed the shocks (different part number) from the 2020. Any difference in the ride?
In both my 2020 & 2022 I had the same set-up, Black Vernasca Leather with Blue Contrast Stitching.

As for the ride, I went from 21" to 20" with softer seat so yes there is a big difference. For the winter I run 18" and the difference is even more noticeable.

In the US there is a Non Run Flat option that also help in ride confort. Lots of thread about tires choice.
Appreciate 1
Tch-Nrd123.00
      01-25-2022, 09:29 AM   #41
keithguido
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M40 1984 911 TARGA

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40  [10.00]
Our car was fine for 500 mile day trip. 2,100 mile 3 day trip and my butt hurt worse than 3 day ride on HD to Sturgis.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #42
jacko15
WannaBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

After reading this thread over again, it seems that the 2022 M40i with Sensatec seats has finally got it right. Is this a valid assumption with '22 owners with these seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #43
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Something that worked for me was simply applying pressure to the areas on the seat that worked me over before I got in the car.
I did that for a while and now I am pretty happy with my ventilated seats.
I had my car for 4 years now and many long trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #44
roadrunner_clams
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGo330i View Post
The seats are the vernasca leather with no ventilation. That was the leather trim available to order (no nappa or merino options).
I found that the seat bottom on my 21 with vernasca leather was very hard and became quite uncomfortable after short drives. I ended up using a cushion on top of it for about 10 months. I took the cushion off one day and was surprised that the seat bottom had actually become softer over time to the point that I didn't need the cushion any longer. My 22 LCI has the perforated sensatac seats and the seat bottom is much softer than the vernasca leather. I did not need any after market cushion with the sensatac seats.
jacko15208.50
Tch-Nrd123.00
RoGo330i142.50
misterdom332.00