BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

X3 M seat issue.

I've decided to go with the X3 or X4 M over the M40i. The problem I have is that I find the seat base side bolsters(if that is what they are called) kinda dig into my thighs. I know there is adjustment for the lateral bolsters on the upright seat backs. Is there any way to change the position of the lower lateral bolsters or make them less intrusive in some way?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I've decided to go with the X3 or X4 M over the M40i. The problem I have is that I find the seat base side bolsters(if that is what they are called) kinda dig into my thighs. I know there is adjustment for the lateral bolsters on the upright seat backs. Is there any way to change the position of the lower lateral bolsters or make them less intrusive in some way?
I hope they are different than the seats in the M40. I sold my M40 because the seats killed my lower back, butt and outside thighs. They were just so narrow that they cut into my thighs and they were off-centered which hurt my back. No idea why they hurt my butt.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
speedyman
Banned
Rep

I think I may have just figured it out. Looks as if the X3 M that I sat in had the upgraded leather and M Sport seats. The regular M seats in black or Oyster do not appear to have the base lateral bolsters that dig into you legs.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
I think I may have just figured it out. Looks as if the X3 M that I sat in had the upgraded leather and M Sport seats. The regular M seats in black or Oyster do not appear to have the base lateral bolsters that dig into you legs.
I would think lateral bolsters are important if you are carving curves.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I would think lateral bolsters are important if you are carving curves.
Agree. I live in SW Florida and don't have the great up and down twisties like where I am originally from in Western PA. 99% of the turning you do here is 90 degrees at red light or stop signs.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

The base seats, only available in the non-Comp model and only in black or white, have less bolstering. They are "Sport seats", whereas the seats in the Comp model (available as an option in the non-Comp) are "M-Sport seats".

In my test drives I found the M-Sport seats initially appealing, but believe they would actually be uncomfortable (for me, at least) on longer trips. Maybe they'd be fine for someone who is much more svelte than I am, although I'm not particularly large. The bolstering on the base Sport seats strikes me as both more comfortable for the longer-term and as quite adequately supportive for even relatively spirited (but still sane) driving on even curvy public roads, rather than on a track with a five-point racing harness holding you in place along with true racing seats.

The additional bolstering of the M-Sport seats also makes them a barrier to elderly passengers, who may find them tough to get in and out of, a consideration for anyone who may ever drive such people.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
plainmaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i ?

I had crazy bolstered seats in a C63 I owned a few years back, and on longer trips I was definitely aching. Since then I have to look for seats that are not so bolstered. I found that on the 2020 X3 M40i, the “ventilated” seats are WAY more comfortable (wider) than the other seats offered in that vehicle. The bolsters are not adjustable with the ventilated seats, so I guess they had to make them wider. Whatever, they are much more comfortable. That’s actually one of the big reasons I decided against the X3M.

X3 M40i + chiptune = no need for X3M ??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainmaster View Post
I had crazy bolstered seats in a C63 I owned a few years back, and on longer trips I was definitely aching. Since then I have to look for seats that are not so bolstered. I found that on the 2020 X3 M40i, the “ventilated” seats are WAY more comfortable (wider) than the other seats offered in that vehicle. The bolsters are not adjustable with the ventilated seats, so I guess they had to make them wider. Whatever, they are much more comfortable. That’s actually one of the big reasons I decided against the X3M.

X3 M40i + chiptune = no need for X3M ??
Check out the base Sport seats on the non-Comp X3M, which may be just what you want. You'd get the advantages of a M vehicle (different steering and suspension feel, tighter handling) without the disadvantages of non-factory aftermarket go-fast mods (e.g., potential warranty, reliability, and support issues). And, if you really want aftermarket mods, you can apply them to a X3M anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

lose some weight :

I kid, I kid ...
      11-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
Check out the base Sport seats on the non-Comp X3M, which may be just what you want. You'd get the advantages of a M vehicle (different steering and suspension feel, tighter handling) without the disadvantages of non-factory aftermarket go-fast mods (e.g., potential warranty, reliability, and support issues). And, if you really want aftermarket mods, you can apply them to a X3M anyway.
Pretty sure this is the route I am going to take. Probably need to order to get it that way as most of the X3 Ms I see in stock are X3 MCs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty sure this is the route I am going to take. Probably need to order to get it that way as most of the X3 Ms I see in stock are X3 MCs.
Here are some pics of the x3m seats non competition model. The bolstering is not as aggressive. Apparently they are the same seats in the m40i
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15 View Post
Here are some pics of the x3m seats non competition model. The bolstering is not as aggressive. Apparently they are the same seats in the m40i
Yes. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and have found out the same. The sport seats in the non comp X3 M are the same as the seats in the M40i. Looks like I will be ordering the non comp. X3 M with base seats. Hoping the JB4 will take me to the level of the comp. X3 M.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Spoke with the dealer yesterday and have found out the same. The sport seats in the non comp X3 M are the same as the seats in the M40i. Looks like I will be ordering the non comp. X3 M with base seats. Hoping the JB4 will take me to the level of the comp. X3 M.
While admittedly highly tangential to the thread topic of seats, on any given day I would not be surprised if the stock non-Comp is likely to be essentially as fast as the Comp. That is, the 1/10 of a second difference in 0 - 60 time claimed by the factory for the two stock versions is so small that variables other than horsepower might have enough impact to equalize performance in at least some situations, e.g., specific tires, driver skill and reaction times, fuel characteristics, driver, passenger and cargo weight, how clean the air cleaner is, the road surface, etc. Those factors could equally favor the Comp version at times, but perhaps the non-Comp at other times, without mods which may affect the vehicle's warranty, reliability, or longevity.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
While admittedly highly tangential to the thread topic of seats, on any given day I would not be surprised if the stock non-Comp is likely to be essentially as fast as the Comp. That is, the 1/10 of a second difference in 0 - 60 time claimed by the factory for the two stock versions is so small that variables other than horsepower might have enough impact to equalize performance in at least some situations, e.g., specific tires, driver skill and reaction times, fuel characteristics, driver, passenger and cargo weight, how clean the air cleaner is, the road surface, etc. Those factors could equally favor the Comp version at times, but perhaps the non-Comp at other times, without mods which may affect the vehicle's warranty, reliability, or longevity.
Perhaps the m performance exhaust in the competition puts it over the top. I for one couldn’t get comfortable in the m seats which made the non comp more palatable. Also I find myself getting a little bit of a headache at times from the drone of the exhaust. Had to hit the quiet button. Can only imagine how it would be with the m performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F15 View Post
Perhaps the m performance exhaust in the competition puts it over the top. I for one couldn’t get comfortable in the m seats which made the non comp more palatable. Also I find myself getting a little bit of a headache at times from the drone of the exhaust. Had to hit the quiet button. Can only imagine how it would be with the m performance exhaust
Once again to share, that much of the inner cabin 'engine sound' is faked through the ASD. As we dislike false-generated noise we bypassed it, so I can't comment on whether the X3M vs the X3MC differs in that regards. My gut feeling would be that they don't differ much.

Just would hate to see anyone choose one vehicle over the other based on the fake ASD - that is easily bypassed or coded off, and you can finally hear the HKs as intended, especially if using FLAC files on a USB stick.

The seats may very well be another matter and certainly choose the best for one's own body habitus.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
So the non comp X3 M does not have the M performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #17
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps the m performance exhaust in the competition puts it over the top. I for one couldn't get comfortable in the m seats which made the non comp more palatable. Also I find myself getting a little bit of a headache at times from the drone of the exhaust. Had to hit the quiet button. Can only imagine how it would be with the m performance exhaust
That is correct
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
TheRealMC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW - x3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps the m performance exhaust in the competition puts it over the top. I for one couldn't get comfortable in the m seats which made the non comp more palatable. Also I find myself getting a little bit of a headache at times from the drone of the exhaust. Had to hit the quiet button. Can only imagine how it would be with the m performance exhaust
Quote:
Quote:
That is correct
The m sport exhaust (in Canada) is a stand alone option. I ordered it as that is something I have always wanted. Compared a base x3m to one with the m sport exhaust and there was a bit of a difference, very similar to the x3m competition. Hopefully if I am looking for a quieter ride ( on the rare occasion) I can turn the exhaust button off which will reduce the interior exhaust noise through the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #19
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMC View Post
The m sport exhaust (in Canada) is a stand alone option. I ordered it as that is something I have always wanted. Compared a base x3m to one with the m sport exhaust and there was a bit of a difference, very similar to the x3m competition. Hopefully if I am looking for a quieter ride ( on the rare occasion) I can turn the exhaust button off which will reduce the interior exhaust noise through the speakers.
I can't seem to find it as a stand alone option on the BMW build site for either the non-comp or comp model.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
TheRealMC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW - x3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMC View Post
I can't seem to find it as a stand alone option on the BMW build site for either the non-comp or comp model.
See image attached. This seems to be only available in Canada.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #21
BigBMWguy85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Vert

The bottom bolsters of the 2022 X3m Comp are literally unbearable. It makes me happy I am not alone, but sad that I will sell this car because of the pathetic attempt at making seats for anyone that's > 6' tall and muscular with big thighs/ass. lol

Has anyone changed the seats with a fabricator? The bolsters make my drive miserable after 30 minutes. Luckily I purchase a purple seat pad and have that in there for the time being until I get rid of the car. There IS NO other spots SUV that I want or that can match the driving experience. It is really really unfortunate.

Pleas let me know if anyone has found a solution for the bolsters digging into their hip bones because I would love to keep the vehicle and or get another one in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #22
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

It is possible to adjust the thigh bolsters out a bit. Apply hard outward pressure in the upper corners. They may only move 1/8 to 1/4” but I’ve heard that can help.

EDIT: also adjusting the tilt of the seat base and extending the thigh support changes the pressure points and can improve the comfort on long trips.

Of course the back bolsters power adjust, plus deflate the lumbar as much as possible by pressing in with your back while pressing the button. Any movement after that re-inflates them a bit.

Lastly as mentioned in other threads, take your wallet and big stuff out of your pants pockets on long trips for more comfort.
Appreciate 0