BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Regressor
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 & E83

X3 The 3 lights of death

Hi there, i have a x3 that now shows warning lights on dash.
The ABS, 4x4, Handbrake and speed is 0 at all times.
Started kicking in the 3 lights this Winter when driving uphill. Now they are on constant.

I ran the Bmw Skanner tool and found some errors:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABS* -> 5E32/E0 - Wheel speed sensor rear left: edges absent (RDF Typ 11i).
5F1E/E0 - Variant code: Info : Trailer_Oscillation_Logic on EEPROM deactivated.
5DEA/A0 - Info: clutch gearbox-ECU: reduction torque intervention because of rub in transfer gear-box.

A/C -> 19/42 - Auxiliary water pump

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/A0 - Power supply

ZKE -> 0D/21 - Power window: Open circuit Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Driver's door
0E/21 - Power window: Open circuit Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Passenger door
0F/01 - Power window: Open circuit Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Driver's side behind
10/21 - Power window: Open circuit Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Passenger side behind

VTG* -> 55C9/28 - No CAN message - ASC4
55C8/28 - No CAN message - ASC2
55C4/28 - No CAN message - DSC1

SHD -> Shadow-memory:
950A/41 - SHD Lifting curve
9609/81 - SoS Sliding curve
9509/41 - SHD Sliding curve
9608/81 - SoS Position lost
9610/81 - SoS Position lost, out of ranges
9541/5F - SHD SKB activation
9440/05 - Panic mode activation
9441/02 - Manual initializing
960A/81 - SoS Lifting curve
9443/01 - Cancelled initializing

I have had the the transfercase motor out and replaced the cog With the regulatorfix one. Checked the rear abs ring (looks ok), Visual inspection of the speed sensor (looks ok but think this is the culprit).

Im thinking the rear Wheel speed sensor or the abs ring must be the fault in not getting any speed on the speedo, but the codes it throws out..

Ignore the sunroof one (you know the casette right) and the Power window ones idk, they are all working.

Anyone encountered anything similar to this?

Also, when i had the transfer case open, the old cog was not bad in shape like seen on youtube and etc, but was thinking about the Electric motor itself, i tried to turn it when it was out and it made a loud clicking sound. It did not og around smooth like i would have thought.

Last edited by Regressor; 06-20-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
caseye21
BMW E83
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
2009 BMW X3  [0.00]
I had the same warning lights. It turned out to be a rusty reluctor (abs) ring that was out of round. I had to replace the whole axel shaft.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Regressor
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 & E83

Yes thats what i also have come to terms with, but there were some other stuff going on too. 3 out of 4 glowplugs were shot, when replaced, the glowplug box was faulty too so replaced that also. Then i went and replaced both rear abs sensors and everything was ok for a bit, all lights went off and drove all summer with no light, they appeared again now and stay on. Took out the abs sensors again and inspected them, and there is wear on the right sensor and it seems the reluctor ring is the problem. Tried cleaning is out with a flat screwdriver and alot of crc. But as you said its not round anymore from rusting..
Appreciate 0