BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M40i

2020 Bavsound Ghost Subwoofers

Has anyone done a recent upgrade to the ghost subs from Bavsound on a 2020 X3 M40 with HK?

I am more specifically interested in the need for Dynamat deadening when installing. I want to make sure I have everything I need to make this perfect the first time around since I have to disconnect the seats. If I should add it exactly where would I apply the Dynamat? In the enclosure itself or under the enclosure?

I read several other threads about this but it was either older models or didn't really cover these questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I have the HK in my M40i. I have been tempted to do a full Bavsound replacement. I'm not unhappy with the HK, but the speaker/ driver quality makes it look like a worth upgrade.

That said; hard to judge a speaker by looking at it. Would cost ~$1,500 for full upgrade.
      01-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

I would put Dynamat outside the enclosure as not to further reduce the limited internal volume of the box. Also stuff polyfill into the box.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i / 1991 MR2

I replaced the subwoofer with Audison APBMW S8-2. I'm not saying Bavsound is not good, but for me their advantage is to make some universal speaker driver fit to specific BMW vehicle(plug & play) which is really good for us to install it ourselves. But soundwise I prefer more trusted brand such as FOCAL, AUDISON, MATCH, etc.
Just my 0.02.
Appreciate 3
Wgosma799.50
BMWZ41904.00
      01-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
I have the HK in my M40i. I have been tempted to do a full Bavsound replacement. I'm not unhappy with the HK, but the speaker/ driver quality makes it look like a worth upgrade.

That said; hard to judge a speaker by looking at it. Would cost ~$1,500 for full upgrade.
Stock speakers are in fact quite capable- I'd put money into a quality DSP amplifier (example: AudioTech Fischer or similar) before spending money on a set of replacement speakers.

Want solid quality bass reproduction?- one needs a large diameter (10-12") speaker to produce very low frequencies- no 6" or so diameter speaker can reproduce very low bass frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

If OP only want to improve mid bass performance and lower distortion at higher level, better replacement underseat sub will fulfill this requirement. Only way to get lower sub frequency (below 50 hz) is to get trunk sub. No other way around this.

As OP had HK system which personally what I have in my F10, the only upgrade path he had is changing the speakers and underseat sub. Done that and I'm quite satisfy with the improvement. The OEM HK speakers + sub sound muddy when playing at louder level (more than 60% level). Lower volume I don't hear much different.

Note to OP: HK underseat sub is 8 ohm. Don't get 4 ohm underseat sub. Only underseat sub that match the spec is either Bavsound Ghost or Alpha One which is 7 ohm. My understanding is they used 7 ohm so that the driver will sound slightly louder compare to stock. So far OEM HK amp have no problem driving 7 ohm underseat sub.

Last edited by pierreye; 01-06-2020 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
If OP only want to improve mid bass performance and lower distortion at higher level, etter replacement underseat sub will fulfill this requirement. Only way to get lower sub frequency (below 50 hz) is to get trunk sub. No other way around this.

As OP had HK system which personally what I have in my F10, the only upgrade path he had is changing the speakers and underseat sub. Done that and I'm quite satisfy with the improvement. The OEM HK speakers + sub sound muddy when playing at louder level (more than 60% level). Lower volume I don't hear much different.

Note to OP: HK underseat sub is 8 ohm. Don't get 4 ohm underseat sub. Only underseat sub that match the spec is either Bavsound Ghost or Alpha One which is 7 ohm. My understanding is they used 7 ohm so that the driver will sound slightly louder compare to stock. So far OEM HK amp have no problem driving 7 ohm underseat sub.
This is exactly what I am looking to accomplish. I am not looking to really add more bass but to instead clean it up and make it tighter. I wanted to start with the ghost subs and then eventually do the rest of the speakers afterwards as it's a bigger job.

My main concern is to reduce the rattle that already happens under the car when listening to stock. The car sounds horrible when listening to music to anyone standing outside the vehicle. Which is why I was asking about the Dynamat.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure Dynamat will solve the rattle heard outside. My F10 does sound bass heavy outside. Dynamat will deaden the panel to reduce vibration but if you want to block the sound try using Noico Red 150 mil. Remove the door vapour barrier and stick Noico Red on the door metal sheet. Dynamat normally will be install on the inner door panel.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I just upgraded my F97 X3MC with HK to BavSound.
I have been upgrading my HK to BavSound on my F10, F06, and G30.
For me, the HK is good enough, but the sounds coming out of it is very dirty.
The BavSound have better clarity.
For what it is, a plug n play solution where most of you guys are able to do it at home, it is very good product.

Now, sound deadening wise, since G series, the door panel is sealed with fiber glass / plastic cover where the speaker is mounted to.
So, there is no sound deadening needed.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

I'm shocked that the underseat subs in this car offer a LOT less bass than in my F25 X3. Aren't things supposed to improve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigB View Post
I replaced the subwoofer with Audison APBMW S8-2. I'm not saying Bavsound is not good, but for me their advantage is to make some universal speaker driver fit to specific BMW vehicle(plug & play) which is really good for us to install it ourselves. But soundwise I prefer more trusted brand such as FOCAL, AUDISON, MATCH, etc.
Just my 0.02.
And you are just running them off the stock amp? You changed nothing but the speakers?

Which impedence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
For what it is, a plug n play solution where most of you guys are able to do it at home, it is very good product.

Now, sound deadening wise, since G series, the door panel is sealed with fiber glass / plastic cover where the speaker is mounted to.
Same question as above for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I'm shocked that the underseat subs in this car offer a LOT less bass than in my F25 X3. Aren't things supposed to improve?

Quote:
Just my 0.02.
And you are just running them off the stock amp? You changed nothing but the speakers?

Which impedence?

Quote:

Sorry I didn't mention before, my first step is to swap the amp with MATCHUP 7 BMW, and found my system still lag of clean bass so I replaced the subwoofer.
APBMW S8-2 told you the 2ohm impedance by name
Appreciate 1
Lotus99627.00
      01-07-2020, 12:30 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post

Quote:
Just my 0.02.

Which impedence?

Quote:

Same stock amp for now.
BavSound still refining their Revenant amp for HK system.
So far I have been fine with stock amp.
More punch needed, but clarity matters more for these old ear that used to play with a lot of SPL system.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Same stock amp for now.
BavSound still refining their Revenant amp for HK system.
So far I have been fine with stock amp.
More punch needed, but clarity matters more for these old ear that used to play with a lot of SPL system.
Sure Bav is working on an HK amp? I was told they had no way of implementing a setup to use the MOST optical input and could not then translate the signal to an amp. I know it's doable (MoBridge and Audison make MOST to TOSLINK converters) to add the current amp, but nobody has done a package for the setup or even has it in the works.

And of note, for those with HK systems: as noted the subs are 8 ohm, but they would perform awfully with the MATCH7 amp (or one of the rebranded ones). So if you do end up amping later, you'd need different impedance woofers (2 ohm as suggested by BAV from our last conversation.) They suggested amping first with 2 ohm woofers then the speakers later.... again assuming I could rectify the MOST to TOSLINK input issue on my end.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
Sure Bav is working on an HK amp? I was told they had no way of implementing a setup to use the MOST optical input and could not then translate the signal to an amp. I know it's doable (MoBridge and Audison make MOST to TOSLINK converters) to add the current amp, but nobody has done a package for the setup or even has it in the works.

And of note, for those with HK systems: as noted the subs are 8 ohm, but they would perform awfully with the MATCH7 amp (or one of the rebranded ones). So if you do end up amping later, you'd need different impedance woofers (2 ohm as suggested by BAV from our last conversation.) They suggested amping first with 2 ohm woofers then the speakers later.... again assuming I could rectify the MOST to TOSLINK input issue on my end.
That's what they told me couple months ago when I was at their shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I've found the bass to be quite sufficient, great in fact. Not only in my X3MC but also in my '19 M40i and even my F25 '15. Mind you, I have the bass cranked full and the equalizer set appropriately as well.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
That's what they told me couple months ago when I was at their shop.
hope so. Some small issues with the MOST adapters are what have slowed my progress, love to see it from BAV as a package.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      01-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep

Update

So I completed the install today and wanted to give a update for anyone that may be interested in the same.

While I had the seats disconnected I went ahead and covered a good portion of the floor with sound deadening foam. Then inside of the enclosure added a little Acousta-Stuf polyfill.

What I was going for was tighter and more clear bass but I am actually surprised by the results. The bass level (even before break-in) is tight but also much more punchy. I'm shocked with how much more bass this added to the system. The deadening also helped with road noise a ton and now when playing the music and stepping outside the car it doesn't have the loud rattle noise I was experiencing with the stock system.

All in all, if you are not looking for chest pounding bass and want a OEM looking solution this is a great way to get it. Now it just makes me want to do the stage 1 speaker upgrade with it because now you can tell how horrible of quality the HK speakers are.
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12801.50
Lotus99627.00
pierreye212.00
      01-08-2020, 11:59 PM   #18
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I've found the bass to be quite sufficient, great in fact. Not only in my X3MC but also in my '19 M40i and even my F25 '15. Mind you, I have the bass cranked full and the equalizer set appropriately as well.
Interesting… When you say you have set the equalizer appropriately, from what I saw, when I just the bass, and then go to the equalizer, it seems to have automatically adjusted itself. I cranked the bass to the max, and the EQ curve was maxed out on the left side too. Are you doing something different?

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mention before, my first step is to swap the amp with MATCHUP 7 BMW, and found my system still lag of clean bass so I replaced the subwoofer.

APBMW S8-2 told you the 2ohm impedance by name
Thanks. So you mean your first step WAS (not is) to swap the amp? If so, your results with the Audison subs are impacted by two changes at once, am I right?

I'm not looking to replace the stock amp. Was just wondering if I was to replace the stock subs only, how much improvement I might get.

In such a case, do you think the Audison subs you used would provide the same results as the two guys below?

Quote:
Same stock amp for now. So far I have been fine with stock amp.

Thanks. You indicated earlier "The BavSound have better clarity". So on the stock amp, you don't "feel" the bass any more than with the stock ones? That seems to be different than what drew experienced.

And isn't that what their marketing says? That it punches harder too? Myself, not being an audiophile, I'm just looking for more bass I can feel and trying to decide if it's worth the cost to replace the subs if I'm not going to upgrade the amp too...

Most people tend to say that to really get the most out of replacement subs would be to add more power to them also. I wonder if any of the harnesses Technic makes (famous on the forums from the E9x which also had 8" subs under the seats, and he pioneered this technique) might work for this car...

http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...-top-hifi-688/

Basically he made a plug and play harness that connects to your amp, without cutting any of the wires, allowing you to bypass the stock amp from feeding the subs, and instead for you to connect a new amp in the trunk to it and have its power go to the subs, using the existing factory wires! Damn brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromthehou View Post
So I completed the install today and wanted to give a update for anyone that may be interested in the same.

While I had the seats disconnected I went ahead and covered a good portion of the floor with sound deadening foam. Then inside of the enclosure added a little Acousta-Stuf polyfill.

What I was going for was tighter and more clear bass but I am actually surprised by the results. The bass level (even before break-in) is tight but also much more punchy. I'm shocked with how much more bass this added to the system.

The deadening also helped with road noise a ton and now when playing the music and stepping outside the car it doesn't have the loud rattle noise I was experiencing with the stock system.

All in all, if you are not looking for chest pounding bass and want a OEM looking solution this is a great way to get it. Now it just makes me want to do the stage 1 speaker upgrade with it because now you can tell how horrible of quality the HK speakers are.
That's great to hear. Did you consider the Audison subs by any chance (or others) and how come you ruled them out?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:16 AM   #19
drewfromthehou
Private
United_States
Rep

Lotus, I did look at them but ultimately chose the BavSound because of so many people on forums saying they had good results and the fact it was so easy to call them up and ask questions and really understand the process. I am excited to see how these break in and sound in a few weeks though.

Although if you are looking for a real punch in the bass, I would throw a box in the back. I wanted something in between big bass and HK and these are exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:36 AM   #20
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What I was going for was tighter and more clear bass but I am actually surprised by the results. The bass level (even before break-in) is tight but also much more punchy. I'm shocked with how much more bass this added to the system. The deadening also helped with road noise a ton and now when playing the music and stepping outside the car it doesn't have the loud rattle noise I was experiencing with the stock system.

Thanks for the update. That's what I have been sharing for Alpha One sub too. I hope those who never listen to the upgraded sub to be more open minded. Earthquake is not the only sub that will improve your bass quality especially for HK system without external amp upgrade.

Last edited by pierreye; 01-09-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey Lotus, if I crank the bass and then access the equalizer, I am able to make adjustments to the bass/mid/treble - if I go back to the bass/treble controls, they're where I left them. I'm not doing anything special or any coding.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #22
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for share the experience, the advantages of the HK system for me is actually the brand name and their software (logic 7) but as long as you have an amplifier with built in DSP you don't worry about tunability. Plus the Harman Kardon tweeter cover looks way better than the black grill of HIFI system.
Appreciate 0