BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
MrAndrewArnold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 X3 M40i / 20' Ram 1500

2017 X4m40i Electrical Issues. Anyone else?

Hello All

I have ongoing electrical issues with my 2017 X4m40i for the last few months.

I am curious if anyone else has encountered a similar experience?

Our complaints: The vehicle headlamps, dash, iDrive will flicker, immediately after we get some or all or various error messages: Increased Steer Effort, Braking System Failure, Drivetrain Malfunction. We would lose power steering, applying the brakes would require a great deal of effort, the transmission would kick from sport to comfort and or kick to neutral.

On several occasions later in the repair process, the vehicle would completely turn off/restart while driving. The BMW dings you hear when you first start would happen after all the error messages displayed.

Oct 10th – Vehicle dropped off for repair. The dealer diagnosed a bad alternator.
Repairs made: Alternator
Oct 12th - The issue persisted, dropped the vehicle off. Dealer diagnosed a bad shifter; they ordered a new shifter assembly.
Oct 29th – We pick up the vehicle from the original repair after being dropped off on Oct 10th.
Repairs made: Shifter assembly.
Oct 29th – The vehicle makes a loud boom after leaving dealership and transmission went into safe mode while driving. We limp back to the dealer.
Nov 1st – We pick up X4.
Repair made: Charge Pipe
Nov 2nd – The same issues are persistent; we drop the vehicle off again.
(On a cruise during 11/14- 11/21)
Nov 25th – The dealer was unable to diagnosis the issue after having a vehicle for 3 weeks. They give the car back.
Dec 3rd – We return the vehicle to the dealer with pictures of the error messages.
Dec 6th - We pick up the vehicle.
Repair made: Steering rack replaced.
Dec 10th – We drop the vehicle off for the same issues, but now the car will turn off/restart while driving.
Dec 12th - Service Manager asks that I disconnect the aftermarket LED footwell lights and an aftermarket subwoofer/amplifier, to help them diagnose the issue.
Dec 18th – They are unable to diagnose the issue and give the car back.
Dec 19th – We get pulled over by a local Sheriff who witnesses us stalling in the middle of an intersection of a divided highway.
Dec 20th – We dropped the vehicle off again. The dealer drove the car with the BMW NA Rep and the issues did not appear during their 5-6 mile test drive. Dealer stated they will have a BMW master technician come in.
Dec 30th – Once again no repair made. I refuse to pick up the vehicle. BMW NA intervenes and they have a BMW Master Tech recommend to replace the battery.
Jan 4th – They replace the battery. I test drive the X4 with the Service Mgr and GM. No issues during 30 min test drive.

Since they have replaced the battery, it seems to have fixed the issues, but we don’t drive the vehicle far distances due to our past experiences.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

When I first read the beginning of your post, I thought "bad battery." Sure hope you didn't have to pay for any of that mis-diagnosed nonsense the dealer was up to.
Dealers love to "go through the diagnosis and replace (note NOT repair) the part at the end of their diagnosis tree." BMWNA picks up the tap, tech gets paid and everybody is "happy" - except you, who have had to deal with multiple visits to the dealer. [Rant over]

To answer your question: No, my '17 X4 M40i has not had any electrical problems. But depending on your typical driving pattern, 4 - 5 years lifetime on the battery is about right.

Finally, thanks for posting. This will remind us all to use common sense when things go hay-wire. These sophisticated cars, ehh, driving computers, really need a steady flow of electrons to function properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
Triniti X4 M40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X4 M40i

WOW!!!

I own a 2016 and have not experienced any issues. Sounds like a nightmare. Thank you however for your post. The battery will be the first place I'll be looking.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
I charge my 2017 X4 M40i on a battery tender every weekend - I just don't think that ECO alternator feature is ever charging these batteries enough. BMW is always trying to eek-out every last mile per gallon for those EPA ratings, and with the alternator clutch disconnected most of the time, our batteries are really taking a good amount of daily punishment. When I put mine on my advanced CTEK charger, it takes a good 8-12 hours to top it off after the end of the week's driving, so it's no joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
wutang228
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i

My 2017 x4 m40i only problem is after letting go accelerating going highway speed of 70-80 mph it makes gurling noise, I still don't know if its suppose to make that sound or something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang228 View Post
My 2017 x4 m40i only problem is after letting go accelerating going highway speed of 70-80 mph it makes gurling noise, I still don't know if its suppose to make that sound or something is wrong.
Not sure how that has anything to do with the electrical problems the original poster mentioned, but are you sure it's not just the off throttle exhaust burbling that everyone loves on the M40i?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSrpQp3IUZU
Appreciate 0