BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
Incitatus
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Boot 'Randomly' opening

Has anyone had any experience with the boot opening, apparently randomly?

Over the last two days I have found my boot open, even when the vehicle has been locked.

It's not the best as yesterday it opened outside my house with my very expensive mountain bike in the back...

I'm seeing this as being difficult to raise with the dealer, because of the randomness, but this morning I checked it and it was fine, then 10 minutes later I looked and it was open again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

There are some folk over in the G03 forum with this issue. Almost always seems to be the boot release being pushed down by tight trousers whilst key is in pocket. It's never happened to me (though put my key away whenever I'm home). There was one guy who seemed to have a fault with his comfort access that kept triggering it too.

The fix for those who have the problem seems to be either:

- get dealer to code key so that boot only opens when car is unlocked

or

- code the car yourself so that it requires a much longer press to remote open the boot
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Happened to me twice in first week i got the car, first one was sitting at lights waiting to drive away, key was in my pocket and I stretched into back for something. second time was when i crouched down to tie my wee boys shoe lace with key in jacket pocket and boot popped open. It will be you pressing on the key without knowing.....boot release is very sensitive by looks of it.
      02-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #4
Incitatus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
There are some folk over in the G03 forum with this issue. Almost always seems to be the boot release being pushed down by tight trousers whilst key is in pocket. It's never happened to me (though put my key away whenever I'm home). There was one guy who seemed to have a fault with his comfort access that kept triggering it too.

The fix for those who have the problem seems to be either:

- get dealer to code key so that boot only opens when car is unlocked

or

- code the car yourself so that it requires a much longer press to remote open the boot
I was wondering if it was possible that the key was getting pressed in my pocket, but it did it this morning with an empty pocket other than the key and there was no way the button can be pressed.

I don't know if the comfort access is overly sensitive, when I was the car with the key in my pocket it keeps locking and unlocking whenever water goes near the door handles...

I'll speak to the dealer about coding the key to only do it when the car is unlocked. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The boot is opening when the key is in your pocket, so I'd say you have a pretty good pointer to the issue, stop putting the key in your pocket and see if the issue goes away, I'd say it will.

I had similar issues when I first moved to comfort access and had to unlearn some behaviours and the random boot opening stopped.
      02-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
Incitatus
Rep

The thing is that it's happened in three times in the last two days, but only once before when I first bought it back at the end of November, so for around two months no problem. I've not changed where I keep the key or how I use it, so for this to suddenly start happening makes me think something else could be up.

Also if it is that sensitive it's a bit below the standards I would hope to expect
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
The thing is that it's happened in three times in the last two days, but only once before when I first bought it back at the end of November, so for around two months no problem. I've not changed where I keep the key or how I use it, so for this to suddenly start happening makes me think something else could be up.

Also if it is that sensitive it's a bit below the standards I would hope to expect
It is very sensitive, could buy a key cover that will hopefully stop it as you dont need to press key with comfort access anyway.
      02-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Rukburd
Rep
Drives: X4 M Comp

I've had this happen 3-4 times now, once in slow crawling traffic as well. I had the keys in my pocket, and lent over to the passenger side to pick something up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
bennyboy77
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3Msport 3.0d

Happened to me too.

I watched CCTV back to confirm when it happened and funny thing was I must have done it when putting the key into my Faraday pouch 😂

Luckily it was on the one night over the last two weeks that wasn't torrential rain!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:02 AM   #10
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with the boot opening, apparently randomly?

Over the last two days I have found my boot open, even when the vehicle has been locked.

It's not the best as yesterday it opened outside my house with my very expensive mountain bike in the back...

I'm seeing this as being difficult to raise with the dealer, because of the randomness, but this morning I checked it and it was fine, then 10 minutes later I looked and it was open again.
Yes i've had this happen twice now and i'm fairly certain I didn't accidently press the open button
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #11
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-f View Post
It is very sensitive, could buy a key cover that will hopefully stop it as you dont need to press key with comfort access anyway.
The key cover works. I never thought I'd ever buy a key cover but one day after bending down to tie my shoe in the parking lot and I watched the tailgate open, I ordered the leather BMW one. Hasn't happened since, only drawback is the key is a bit bulkier.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
The key cover works. I never thought I'd ever buy a key cover but one day after bending down to tie my shoe in the parking lot and I watched the tailgate open, I ordered the leather BMW one. Hasn't happened since, only drawback is the key is a bit bulkier.
Good to know that works then i will need to order one up then.
      02-25-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-f View Post
Quote:
Good to know that works then i will need to order one up then.
Most women don't have this problem sense they have the key in the purse.

I will order one too

Have to make this joke
      02-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

This is the key cover that I used and sold to G01/G02 X3/X4 and G05 X5 guys that have issues with trunk opening by itself.
So far it has been fixing the issues and it looks good.

I used Black CF for my G30 and Red CF for F97 X3MC to match the Sakhir Orange interior.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

this is my cheapo solution - silicon case with a cut out around the boot button
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:19 AM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
The BMW one is WAY bulkier.

That’s what I’m running now but I’ll see what programming can be done when I bring it in for break in service.

In the G01 forum several people stated the dealer was able to do programming to prevent the issue. Some stated it it now required the car to be unlocked before the boot could open.

If you get the BWM key fob holder, put a dab of blue Loctite on the screw threads as several reviewers said it worked loose and they dropped/lost their fob.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
Shrugged
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 335i M-Sport Sedan

I was at the dealership yesterday for the break in service and asked about this. My advisor said he'd see if there was anything he could do, but came back when they were finished and said he didn't know of any way of addressing the issue (coding it so that you needed to unlock before opening the trunk, etc).

Has anyone made any progress coding it themselves with bimmercode or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrugged View Post
I was at the dealership yesterday for the break in service and asked about this. My advisor said he'd see if there was anything he could do, but came back when they were finished and said he didn't know of any way of addressing the issue (coding it so that you needed to unlock before opening the trunk, etc).

Has anyone made any progress coding it themselves with bimmercode or something?
I did not see anything in Bimmercode to address this issue.

Only the change in delay time of opening vs button press.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
mabroad1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3mc

One more who has experienced the random boot openings in my x3mc.

Unfortunately for me it led to be being burgled the Sunday night before Xmas whilst asleep in my house. Keys were upstairs and have an Autowatch ghost immobiliser fitted anyway. Only way they can get the car is interacting with me now - and I’m prepared for that as much as you can.

Many people have said just leave the keys for easy access but my view is that if everyone does that it exacerbates the problem with the thieving scum.

The solution is simply a key cover.......I’ve got the BMW performance one at a bargain (not)£40 and not happened since. Still frustrated that a premium car has a basic flaw as my key carrying technique has been fine for my previous 23 years of driving!

Hope this post is helpful to others.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #20
Incitatus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I did not see anything in Bimmercode to address this issue.

Only the change in delay time of opening vs button press.
My dealer confirmed that you can't code the car to make sure it's unlocked before the boot opening works, apparently not available in the F97/F98.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My dealer confirmed that you can't code the car to make sure it's unlocked before the boot opening works, apparently not available in the F97/F98.
This is a ridiculous limitation. Now I treat my keys so gently like they are a grenade or something lol.

I’m also pulling so far forward in my small garage I run the risk of accidentally hitting something in the front so if the boot opens it won’t hit the garage door. The random opening missed it by an inch.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Had the same issue. Thought I was going mad. Came out to the car twice in Jan after a very frosty night to find the boot wide open! Still not sure if it's a fault or an issue with something knocking the key where I keep it overnight. It's only happened about 3 or 4 times since collecting the car late December. I'm assuming it's not a fault. Will keep an eye on things.

Like the post above I too now handle my key vary carefully. Quite frustrating to be honest. Will keep an eye on this thread to see how the saga develops !
Appreciate 0