BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
BMW JA
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 X3, 73 454 Vette,

X3 oil drain plug cover! Strange?

I recently acquired my daughter in-laws 2013 X3 35i M sport with 28,000 miles. The car is in pristine condition and has always been serviced at their BMW dealer. In a previous post of mine I was curious as to the available space I would have to install a Fumoto valve with the various models available. In my retirement I spend a lot of my time as a substitute teacher and am the "go to guy" when the local auto shop teacher is out. Yesterday when I was in class I took the time to put the car on a lift to take a measurement for myself. Low and behold the cover was missing! Now mind you this car was always serviced at the dealer! When you spend $175 for an oil change you would think they would install the cover. Looking for a replacement the part costs new was about $40. I looked on eBay and found the available part from 2 sources. It is then I wondered how does someone acquire 9 of these used parts to sell? I am glad I have the knowledge and equipment to do this regular maintenance myself. For those of you who have to rely on the dealer it would be worth while to make sure your cover is installed.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Ram3n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JA View Post
I recently acquired my daughter in-laws 2013 X3 35i M sport with 28,000 miles. The car is in pristine condition and has always been serviced at their BMW dealer. In a previous post of mine I was curious as to the available space I would have to install a Fumoto valve with the various models available. In my retirement I spend a lot of my time as a substitute teacher and am the "go to guy" when the local auto shop teacher is out. Yesterday when I was in class I took the time to put the car on a lift to take a measurement for myself. Low and behold the cover was missing! Now mind you this car was always serviced at the dealer! When you spend $175 for an oil change you would think they would install the cover. Looking for a replacement the part costs new was about $40. I looked on eBay and found the available part from 2 sources. It is then I wondered how does someone acquire 9 of these used parts to sell? I am glad I have the knowledge and equipment to do this regular maintenance myself. For those of you who have to rely on the dealer it would be worth while to make sure your cover is installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JA View Post
A lot of dealers do this. It's easier for them to leave if off since you will be there next time was what I was told after trying to do my own oil change. Ended up having to buy my own cover. No help from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I would bet the majority are missing. Mine was. I bought one too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I would bet the majority are missing. Mine was. I bought one too.
Off to check....cancel that its -25C
Appreciate 0