BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #23
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Stock primary cat should be 600 cells per inch ceramic
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #24
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Stock primary cat should be 600 cells per inch ceramic
Thanks man! Exactly the info I needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #25
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Thanks man! Exactly the info I needed.
Early adopter. That's what I'm here for! (despite the hits on my welds) I sure as hell didn't spend $2k on high flow cats(more like a fifth of that, actually) . Years from now, I'll be the first here to publicly announce that my SuperSprint welds have failed if it happens. I swear.

Last edited by MrItaly; 02-23-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #26
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Early adopter. That's what I'm here for! (despite the hits on my welds) I sure as hell didn't spend $2k on high flow cats(more like a fifth of that, actually) . Years from now, I'll be the first here to publicly announce that my SuperSprint welds have failed if it happens. I swear.
Your welds look just fine! I also looked at the Supersprint high flow downpipe... but they wanted over 4k just for the downpipe! I might thus go with the ER high flow downpipe (2k) combined with the Akrapovic evo setup.

Did you get your car shipped yet?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      02-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I have been very involved in the downpipe development with ER.
I haven't put out any good news yet, since there are no good news.
Just an ok result.

More development are in the work.

Guys that are having them, mainly is for the sound or going to have custom flash tune.

There are skepticism, but I should know exactly soon since I don't have my car for over a week to do the development.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      02-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your welds look just fine! I also looked at the Supersprint high flow downpipe... but they wanted over 4k just for the downpipe! I might thus go with the ER high flow downpipe (2k) combined with the Akrapovic evo setup.

Did you get your car shipped yet?
Retail on SuperSprint is crazy expensive in the States, but then again, is anyone cheap? Not that I've seen. I, myself, wouldn't have bought it at the US prices.

Anyway, yes, the car shipped 27 December and landed in Dallas last week. Although I'm flying down there this weekend to visit family, I won't retrieve the X3 because the wine and trailer have not arrived. That drive to Maryland is kind of a "package deal", so I won't be able to go back again until the end of March when the wine and trailer will definitely be there.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      02-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #29
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Retail on SuperSprint is crazy expensive in the States, but then again, is anyone cheap? Not that I've seen. I, myself, wouldn't have bought it at the US prices.

Anyway, yes, the car shipped 27 December and landed in Dallas last week. Although I'm flying down there this weekend to visit family, I won't retrieve the X3 because the wine and trailer have not arrived. That drive to Maryland is kind of a "package deal", so I won't be able to go back again until the end of March when the wine and trailer will definitely be there.
And beer, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #30
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
I am curious how restrictive the secondary cats are. Not a lot of dyno data around.
While I fully recognize this is a less-than-scientific comment, the owner of SuperSprint, Alessandro - who might have some experience on the topic after decades of fabricating custom exhausts, did reveal to me, as I pondered a secondary cat delete, that its effect on restriction is negligible compared to the primary cat. He advised me to remove the secondary cat only if I wanted even more sound (no OPF here) , not if I was expecting additional performance gains. To that point, he reassured me that I could proceed with my custom remap after the primary swap without fear of needing to alter the map if I changed my mind later and opted to add a secondary cat delete. Again, this advice came against his economic interests. While initially tempted after my primary cat swap, I ultimately left the secondary in place and don't regret it. Allesandro also mentioned that the factory F97 comp exhaust is quite good overall with the primary cat being understandably restrictive and having less longevity due to the ceramic internals which reduce factory costs while maintaining emmisions standards.

(Hope this doesn't come across as too verbose. I've been writing performance evals until 9pm tonight and am in the zone)

Last edited by MrItaly; 02-27-2020 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #31
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
While I fully recognize this is a less-than-scientific comment, the owner of SuperSprint, Alessandro - who might have some experience on the topic after decades of fabricating custom exhausts, did reveal to me, as I pondered a secondary cat delete, that its effect on restriction is negligible compared to the primary cat. He advised me to remove the secondary cat only if I wanted even more sound, not if I was expecting additional performance gains. To that point, he reassured me that I could proceed with my custom remap after the primary swap without fear of needing to alter the map if I changed my mind later and chose a secondary cat delete. Again, this advice came against his economic interests. While initially tempted after my primary cat swap, I ultimately left the secondary in place and don't regret it. Allesandro also mentioned that the factory F97 comp exhaust is quite good overall with the primary cat being understandably restrictive and having less longevity due to the ceramic internals which reduce costs while maintaining emmisions standards.

(Hope this doesn't come across as too verbose. I've been writing performance evals until 9pm tonight and am in the zone)
I would really love to get the whole SuperSprint exhaust system. But look at the price... crazy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #32
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would really love to get the whole SuperSprint exhaust system. But look at the price... crazy.
US Pricing..... What more can I say? The same product costs much less in its country of origin. Italian exhaust, Swedish springs, or German wheels all cost significantly less when purchased in their native country. While the economy may be global in this day and age, pricing is, unfortunately, not. That said, there are exceptions to this generic rule. The F97 costs significantly more in Germany compared to the US thanks to a hefty value added tax as in most of Europe. Then again, the F97 is made in America, so maybe my little theory contiues to hold true.

Last edited by MrItaly; 02-26-2020 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:38 AM   #33
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Just an ok result.

Guys that are having them, mainly is for the sound or going to have custom flash tune.

There are skepticism, but I should know exactly soon since I don't have my car for over a week to do the development.
Your English is really good. What is your primary language?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:41 AM   #34
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
And beer, hopefully.
Hopefully, I'm counting on you, man! Not to mention, my new boss has already hounded me a couple of times doubting my ability to pull this delivery off. We'll make it happen!

Last edited by MrItaly; 02-27-2020 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #35
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Just an ok result.

Your English is really good. What is your primary language?
Not english for sure.
I got you sarcasm.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #36
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Guys, did you ever find out if our stock primary cats are metal like the F80s or ceramic?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #37
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

Are there sensors by the secondary cats?...would removing the secondary cats throw a CEL with having the primary still installed? I like how F80/S55's sound with the secondary cats removed and resonators replaced with Magnflow mufflers.
Appreciate 0