BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #23
canuxr51
Rep
Drives: 335i

I know exactly what you mean by the lag, it drives me insane. I feel like im driving a 70HP SUV.

I personally think it caused by two problems:
1.-The engine has almost no torque below 2000 rpm and the transmission always wants to stay at the highest gear and below 2000rpm

2.- The computer in comfort mode has a delay or input lag built in on purpose.

I have tried flooring it and the revs will not move at all, as if the computer assumed grandma just floored it by mistake.

I swear any car, a honda civic, camry or any old people car is more responsive than this "sports" SUV in comfort mode.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      08-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
Legis
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have started experiencing the exact same delay from a stop/start, for example at stoplights or when slowing down to enter a roundabout. I’ve had the car for exactly a year and this started happening at around 10,000 kilometer on the trip meter.

It’s as if driving a manual and being REALLY bad at using the clutch to find the biting point...
      08-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #25
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
It does. I drove it this weekend and there was more lag than my M40 from a stop.
Yeah, I get their desire... but it just makes it even worse when you cant predict when it will lunge. For me, I would rather know when to expect the leap in power vs it being so random. Now, I have to push and just hold my head back waiting for it to go. But I get it... and I did feel the same thing in the X3M. Its the main reason it isnt in my driveway right now.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had the same complaints when I first got the car and these two things made a big difference for me:

#1 set up sport individual to be your default drive mode with these settings:
- engine: sport
- tranny: comfort
- suspension: comfort
# 2 Use the transmission sport mode early and often! I frequently slap the trans into m/s to get a better throttle response when needed and it works really well in conjunction with step #1

Just a guess, but I think comfort mode skips 1st gear and then sometimes thinks too long about shifting into first when you give it throttle. Using m/s with the settings listed above forces the car into first gear when at a stop so you get a much better response off the line. I often do this while rolling as well and it will immediately downshift most of the time. It feels great when you are preparing to overtake someone, no delay just GO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
I had the same complaints when I first got the car and these two things made a big difference for me:

# 2 Use the transmission sport mode early and often! I frequently slap the trans into m/s to get a better throttle response when needed and it works really well in conjunction with step #1

Just a guess, but I think comfort mode skips 1st gear and then sometimes thinks too long about shifting into first when you give it throttle. Using m/s with the settings listed above forces the car into first gear when at a stop so you get a much better response off the line. I often do this while rolling as well and it will immediately downshift most of the time. It feels great when you are preparing to overtake someone, no delay just GO.
Thank you! I will give that a try. :-)
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:

Is it possible to set the transmission into sport mode in sport individual without shifting the gear lever across to S? Would be nice to have it one button rather than two steps as per my late 2016 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #29
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

In another thread, there are directions for doing some sort of throttle reset. Might help.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #30
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legis View Post
I have started experiencing the exact same delay from a stop/start, for example at stoplights or when slowing down to enter a roundabout. I’ve had the car for exactly a year and this started happening at around 10,000 kilometer on the trip meter.

It’s as if driving a manual and being REALLY bad at using the clutch to find the biting point...
That is strange to hear. Wonder what triggered the delay to start occurring.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #31
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
If you search for throttle body reset you may have a solution. I’m airborne on my phone so can’t post a link, but it seems the tranny and throttle might learn to be a granny but you can reset it back to normal. Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #32
AngeloUCF
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '19 X4 M40i

I read a ton of reviews immediately after I bought my M40i X4 and no one ever mentioned the turbo lag. It drives me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #33
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
Is it possible to set the transmission into sport mode in sport individual without shifting the gear lever across to S? Would be nice to have it one button rather than two steps as per my late 2016 4 series.
There are two places to adjust the transmission and they work together. One is through iDrive sport settings and the other is gear level position. Leaving the iDrive setting on comfort is my preference as it keeps the exhaust in check and the rpms reasonable for my everyday driving. When I need to pull onto a busy road or whatever I just hit the gear lever, and sometimes I leave it there for my whole ride. The transmission with iDrive in comfort and the lever on M/S is actually my favorite transmission setup aside from going full manual. The exhaust burbles are perfect for my taste and engine response is plenty good for my everyday driving.

I highly recommend coding sport individual to be your default drive mode and playing with the settings. Try different configurations for a day or two at a time and I think you'll find something that meets your needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:30 AM   #34
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuxr51 View Post
I know exactly what you mean by the lag, it drives me insane. I feel like im driving a 70HP SUV.

1.-The engine has almost no torque below 2000 rpm and the transmission always wants to stay at the highest gear and below 2000rpm

I have tried flooring it and the revs will not move at all, as if the computer assumed grandma just floored it by mistake.

I swear any car, a honda civic, camry or any old people car is more responsive than this "sports" SUV in comfort mode.
I wish there was a mode in between Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #35
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
There are two places to adjust the transmission and they work together. One is through iDrive sport settings and the other is gear level position. Leaving the iDrive setting on comfort is my preference as it keeps the exhaust in check and the rpms reasonable for my everyday driving. When I need to pull onto a busy road or whatever I just hit the gear lever, and sometimes I leave it there for my whole ride. The transmission with iDrive in comfort and the lever on M/S is actually my favorite transmission setup aside from going full manual. The exhaust burbles are perfect for my taste and engine response is plenty good for my everyday driving.

I highly recommend coding sport individual to be your default drive mode and playing with the settings. Try different configurations for a day or two at a time and I think you'll find something that meets your needs.
Thanks. Useful info. But to clarify, is transmission sport in sport individual the same as S on the gear lever? Or do modes still stack like my current car? In other words if transmission is set to sport in sport individual will pushing the lever to S do anything more? I have a 30d on order so exhaust pops and ASD aren’t going to be a thing.

I often think it’s be nice to be able to push one button on my 4 and have all systems in full sport mode. Also, is there a Sport and Sport individual mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #36
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloUCF View Post
I read a ton of reviews immediately after I bought my M40i X4 and no one ever mentioned the turbo lag. It drives me nuts!
It's not turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #37
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuxr51 View Post

Seriously?

1. 'Torque: 500 Nm (51 mkg / 369 lb-ft) from 1520 rpm to 4800 rpm'. So max torque from 1520 rpm....!

2. It's comfort mode, try putting it in sport.

You tried flooring it and the revs don't move at all? I'm guessing this is an over dramatisation, if not have you tried turning the car on at all?

I had a Honda CRV previously and I can assure you it was NOT more responsive than this 'sports' SUV in comfort mode.

I find it amusing that over 2 pages of complaints no one from the UK has joined in. I guess everyone from the other side of the pond is used to big V8's producing comparatively little power but masses of torque.

For some reason no matter which forum you go on there is always someone complaining about lag in throttle response. I had the same experience on the Audi S3 forum. Numerous people berating how poor the throttle response was and how dangerous it was pulling out in to traffic. I never experienced any of this and at no point did I find myself in a dangerous situation.

Can I speculate that maybe some people buy this car expecting it to be super fast because it has a decent engine in it and therefore it should be able to get out in a gap which isn't really suitable? Then they complain that it should be able to make up for their poor judgement because they have just put themselves in that situation. This is not aimed at anyone I just don't get it. My car is quick for an almost 2 tonne SUV, but I certainly don't think I'm in a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #38
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

To my mind, Comfort mode, by design, completely deadens the throttle, making it very soft, so that your passengers aren't getting kicked around every time you hit the throttle. It's not turbo lag, or lack of power, or anything. The throttle just dampens your inputs in comfort mode for the comfort of your passengers. I've always partly overridden that in my 4 by putting the car into S on the transmission lever. Going full sport on both transmission and mode can be a bit aggressive (holding on to gears a little long) if I'm not driving alone. Looking forwards to see how this all behaves in the X3 30d straight six vs my current 4 series 30i 2L turbo. Hoping it's smoother.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      08-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #39
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Koopa View Post
Seriously?
Can I speculate that maybe some people buy this car expecting it to be super fast because it has a decent engine in it and therefore it should be able to get out in a gap which isn't really suitable?
To be fair, Comfort mode whilst nice for passengers, can feel a little unresponsive at the throttle. Which the OP is assuming is turbo lag, when it's a throttle damper. And nobody wants full on sport all the time as it can hold gears a bit long and annoy your passengers. It would be nice to be able to tailor how aggressive the throttle damping is in Comfort mode to hit a sweet spot, if you don't have a lead foot. A sort of Comfort Individual mode, if you like, in addition to Sport Individual. Moving the gear shifter to S compensates somewhat though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #40
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Anyone try a pedal tuner? I know BMS (and other companies) make them. Not sure how good they actually are.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #41
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

My standard driving mode is "Sport" with the gear shifter over to the left. I find the throttle to be much more responsive, but the transmission doesn't hold the gear as long as it does in Sport Plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #42
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
I wish there was a mode in between Comfort and Sport.
Sport Individual can serve this purpose. See post 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
Thanks. Useful info. But to clarify, is transmission sport in sport individual the same as S on the gear lever? Or do modes still stack like my current car? In other words if transmission is set to sport in sport individual will pushing the lever to S do anything more? I have a 30d on order so exhaust pops and ASD aren’t going to be a thing.

I often think it’s be nice to be able to push one button on my 4 and have all systems in full sport mode. Also, is there a Sport and Sport individual mode?
The modes stack like your current car and there is a standard sport mode separate from sport individual
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #43
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Something worth trying in Comfort is to initially use a small throttle opening just to get the car moving then open the throttle much wider. Or use Sport.

This issue has been around for ages with other BMWs.
      08-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #44
X3BimmerX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

I had big throttle lag in one of my other cars, and the Sprint Booster fixed it:

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...54AC64621465C7

Might work for the X3 as well.
Appreciate 1
Rhidium272.50