BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2024, 07:13 PM   #23
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
The assist system work by using the camera to see the lines in the road don't they?

The issue I have with wandering happens on roads without lines and even if the system is deactivated....
coming from a 2017 M3 I almost didn't buy a X3m because of this " wondering" or "twitchy steering" I experienced on 3 different ones I test drove. I almost gave up on the x3m but kept looking.

The one I ended up buying is a 2020 non comp with 36K.
It still exhibits this behavior but less than the other's I drove so...I figured id get use to it and I have....... but it is a thing and id like to make it stop
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:45 PM   #24
Jolbex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

In my case tramling is caused by (runflat) summer Pirellis. On winter tyres (also RF Pirrelli) no such behaviur. After returning to summer tyres the tramling returned.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 08:39 AM   #25
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

For me I used to experience the wondering and now after 2 years of ownership, I hardly experience this.

IMO I think it's combination of the road, suspension and track, lane system support and tyre pressure.

Set up my lane features to late for all and unticked lane steering intervention 😡 so annoying.

The biggest change happened when I installed my 10mm spacers. The car drove so much better than before and hardly get wondering. I have the stock tyre set up with 36psi round (cold)

However, when the road is slightly dipped from heavy vehicles leaving their tracks, I always get the tracking. Also, I have eibach springs which should have come standard with these cars from factory!

Last edited by knali8; 03-30-2024 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2024, 08:40 AM   #26
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GildaStofmnd View Post
From my understanding, the system uses Cameras and Sensors when active; they are meant to detect anything on the road within the field's range that simulates a lane, or at least what BMW technologies deems crossing or departing your lane. Slightly crossing a lane or marking in the lane would trigger the car to wander away if the system intervention setting is high or moderate. In my case, that is what was happening, so I put the steering intervention at the lowest setting, and it fixed my issue.

But if your system is turned off completely, then my fix won't apply.

Is your tire pressure correct? Overinflated tires will also cause wandering since they are distorted when rotating. Are you running the correct tire size and rims for your X3? If they are aftermarket or even OEM and not the correct size, that can cause issues leading to wandering. Could there be a missing weight or slight bend in the rim?
Come to think of it, I don't think I have any sort of lane centering anyways, only the lane departure warning, so there shouldn't be anything that's trying to move the wheel... (Or at least that's what I think as I only have land departure settings)

Tires are factory size and new. inflated to the settings on the door sticker. 33/38.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:26 AM   #27
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

So the answer to this was that the steering column was bad and slightly binding as well as the alignment was off a little bit (Specifically toe being out).

Steering column was replaced, alignment done and the wandering is not as pronounced. Its still there to a minor extent, but I'll assume that's just part of the package with these vehicles due to the quick steering.
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2024, 03:57 AM   #28
bobo13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i U10

I find that road surface quality is a massive contributing factor.

I went on a euro roadtrip last month and the roads in France and Switzerland were buttery smooth compared to the UK where driving on the highway can be a battle. In fact driving in France I had no noise issues, no steering issues or ride quality issues. Road surface is massive factor for these cars I have found.
      04-09-2024, 03:11 AM   #29
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo13 View Post

I went on a euro roadtrip last month and the roads in France and Switzerland were buttery smooth compared to the UK where driving on the highway can be a battle. In fact driving in France I had no noise issues, no steering issues or ride quality issues. Road surface is massive factor for these cars I have found.
That is a very VERY good point. Most of the bushings on this platform are there to increase how dynamic this chassis is during cornering & how lively it is when you want it to be agile. But that also means you're going to hear & feel a touch more road noise on broken / heavily scared pavement. The roads you drive on + the tires your X3 / X4 M sit on play a major factor in overall NVH.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 12:13 PM   #30
Y0jjimb0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '02 E46 M3, '20 F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo13 View Post

I think this is probably why reducing the spring rate improves this issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 06:07 AM   #31
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

what tyres you on? Mines was worse on Conti and better on Bridgestone (but i also run these lower pressure)

not got round to checking toe yet...so following with interest
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 08:29 AM   #32
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Hi folks - newbie here - no wandering issues on oem 255/265 per se, despite a shoddy alignment - see top half of screenshot in the link below

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=31063948

Switched to MPS4S 265/295 and had 4 wheel alignment done - bottom half of screenshot in the link above. Car tracks straight and true still - tad more tyre noise from the fat 295 rears….

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0