BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #441
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Yup. We'll all be sick of seeing these things in just a few months. It'll be the next Camaro.
I think this is a little hyperbolic.

"Most" people only have/can afford to have one car, that automatically disqualifies the Corvette (and most other two-seater low-storage-capacity vehicles) for the majority of the population.

The Camaro has back seats and a large trunk. It can actually conceivably be your only car. That's a huge stretch to say that for the C8 even with more storage space than many other midengine cars.

I'm sure you'll see more C8s than McLarens and shit, but to say it will reach Camaro/Mustang levels of saturation is asinine.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #442
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i was referring to dodge and how they claimed the demon was the fastest thing since sliced bread... maybe on the fastest drag strip, at the perfect temp, with a 90 pound driver, etc...
The main program goal of the Demon was to run 9's.

It was "NHRA certified" as the quickest production car ever. If the NHRA didn't certify it, it didn't count towards Dodge's claim. :

This guy ran a 9.87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu48Y0O3nmg

Did some break? Yeah. But for the most part, the Demon lived up to expectations.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      07-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #443
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
not sure what point you're trying to get across. 458 is 10 years old. They are well known as one of the most reliable supercars made. especially compared to the mclarens.

No car is immune to problems. Even GT3s had engines that caught on fire. Porsche stepped in and replaced engines. and added a 10 year warranty.

When dodge demons started blowing differentials dodge made no effort to rectify it. They warrantied it with the same defective part. people were still damaging their exhaust, halfshafts, and undercarriage with the exploding part.

GM never stepped in and ramped up the cooling on the Z06. Customers had to look to their own aftermarket solutions. in fact their is an ongoing lawsuit on this:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/...it-to-proceed/
My point was pretty clear. All car makers have issues on the track on occasion, Chevy Ferrari and others alike. And as See5 already mentioned the issues were indeed corrected. Not to mention, I can’t think of anybody who tracks their cars find their own solutions to make them perform better, including cooling. Also, The number of z06’s affected by overheating was a very small percentage.
Overheating and going into limp mode is a far cry from Porsche’s engines bursting into flames. The fact that they replaced them surprises no one. I know guys who track C7Z’s without issue and they and I think it was overblown story.
Don’t think there was one Z that self emulated. Limp over flames any day.

The C6Z is also a ten year plus old car that lapped the Ring a good deal quicker the the 458, hardly old guys cruising the blvd. Corvettes are put through the ringer on tracks as we all know.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #444
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Hm ... why couldn't they go with this rear end lols.

r

Better question....what the hell happened to this Supra??? Why didn't they try to stick with this whole look???

It would have got just as much attention as the C8 is getting if it could have...sigh
Appearently they couldn't stamp that in one go to look like the prototype, so you call that cost consideration (which given Supra's price I wouldn't blame them for that decision)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #445
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
In the Supra case, probably has to do with regulation and crash test and also manufacturing cost. For the C8, the rear end could use some nips and tucks without incurring any much manufacturing cost. I think in general, the more fancy the body panel, it tends to cost a bit more.
I didn't really follow the new Supra introduction; being that BMW mated with Toyota gave me a sick feeling in my stomach TBH.

But looking at the design of the Supra concept car, that design is just not production-realistic for the Supra price range. You are correct, crash performance is the issue with that design. None of the front facia is replaceable. Not sure how the hood opens, but based on the part lines, the entire front would have to be a clamshell design. The production Supra pretty much follows the concept's design, but with a production and owner-tolerable replaceable front facia.

As far as the C8 concept rear end, that's just a peek at the 4th-year restyle
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      07-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #446
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
My point was pretty clear. All car makers have issues on the track on occasion, Chevy Ferrari and others alike. And as See5 already mentioned the issues were indeed corrected. Not to mention, I can’t think of anybody who tracks their cars find their own solutions to make them perform better, including cooling. Also, The number of z06’s affected by overheating was a very small percentage.
Overheating and going into limp mode is a far cry from Porsche’s engines bursting into flames. The fact that they replaced them surprises no one. I know guys who track C7Z’s without issue and they and I think it was overblown story.
Don’t think there was one Z that self emulated. Limp over flames any day.

The C6Z is also a ten year plus old car that lapped the Ring a good deal quicker the the 458, hardly old guys cruising the blvd. Corvettes are put through the ringer on tracks as we all know.
The idea behind producing cars is to actually make a profit. While some Corvette owners will track the car, the majority won't (I mean hell, what geezer tracks a car at 68 years old ). GM knows it's customer, and I think GM built the C8 for it's Corvette customer, to finally deliver on a 50-year desire for a mid-engine variant. GM can sell the base 'Vette at $60K because it sells on average 2,000 cars a month compared to the 911 at 700 per month. The economies of scale of the sheer production numbers plus the Corvette can parts share with other GM products allows GM to produce the car less expensively than Porsche does the 911. I think it is fare to say that the 911 has a better track-focused design and has for decades, which probably makes it a more robust track car, but it starts at $35K more in price so it should be.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      07-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #447
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I don't get the people who're concerned about too many C8's on the road. At least if you live in a metro area. I can't imagine seeing even more Corvettes here in South Florida...there are already so many...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #448
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The idea behind producing cars is to actually make a profit. While some Corvette owners will track the car, the majority won't (I mean hell, what geezer tracks a car at 68 years old ). GM knows it's customer, and I think GM built the C8 for it's Corvette customer, to finally deliver on a 50-year desire for a mid-engine variant. GM can sell the base 'Vette at $60K because it sells on average 2,000 cars a month compared to the 911 at 700 per month. The economies of scale of the sheer production numbers plus the Corvette can parts share with other GM products allows GM to produce the car less expensively than Porsche does the 911. I think it is fare to say that the 911 has a better track-focused design and has for decades, which probably makes it a more robust track car, but it starts at $35K more in price so it should be.
Come on man.....I've tracked the hell out of the majority of Corvettes I've owned! (Drag).

Granted I'm not 68, but I am 45.

Plus we have a regular at the track who is 66 I think with a H/C/I C6Z and he flogs the shit out of it!
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #449
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Come on man.....I've tracked the hell out of the majority of Corvettes I've owned! (Drag).

Plus we have a regular at the track who is 66 I think with a H/C/I C6Z and he flogs the shit out of it!
Dude, you know I was joking I hope... It was in response to Hack's geezer comment about how heavy the C8 is...
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      07-29-2019, 01:56 AM   #450
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

I think they were taking about real track racing, in other words, “not straight”.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #451
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

If you want a first year C8 you better get going.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/28/...arly-sold-out/
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #452
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post
I think this is a little hyperbolic.

"Most" people only have/can afford to have one car, that automatically disqualifies the Corvette (and most other two-seater low-storage-capacity vehicles) for the majority of the population.

The Camaro has back seats and a large trunk. It can actually conceivably be your only car. That's a huge stretch to say that for the C8 even with more storage space than many other midengine cars.

I'm sure you'll see more C8s than McLarens and shit, but to say it will reach Camaro/Mustang levels of saturation is asinine.
I was speaking in generalities here. I'm surprised you took my words literally. Of course there is a big difference between these cars and those who own them. Allow me to clarify this statement, so that those who take everything literally don't have to get on a soapbox. You will see a lot of these cars on the road. Better?

In the future, when you read my posts, imagine a stand-up comedian has typed the words you are reading; this may help a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #453
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-transmission/
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #454
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation

Not surprised whatsoever! The hottest car of 2020 hands down!

Quote:
PLYMOUTH, Mich. — The 2020 Chevy Corvette is just about booked up for the first year’s production run. Michael Simcoe, GM design chief, said as much at the Concours d’Elegance of America, as a gleaming C8 sat on the lawn.

“I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers,” Simcoe said when addressing the attentive, large crowd at the golf course. We pulled him aside afterwards, and asked Simcoe to elaborate. Turns out, the C8 is extremely close to being sold out for the 2020 model year, but it hasn’t officially hit the mark yet. “It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon,” Simcoe told us.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/28/...#slide-2156860

07-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #455
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Not surprising, as it's really a great deal for the $
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #456
Theultimatedrivingmachine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Unreal! Starting price of under $60k and 0-60 in 2.8 with the Z51 package. This car is taking the sports car market by storm! Also this is just the base model imagine when the Z06 and ZR1 come out. Or whatever they decide to call them.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
swanson733.00
      07-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #457
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theultimatedrivingmachine View Post
Unreal! Starting price of under $60k and 0-60 in 2.8 with the Z51 package. This car is taking the sports car market by storm! Also this is just the base model imagine when the Z06 and ZR1 come out. Or whatever they decide to call them.
Under $60K is the BASE Stingray. The Z51 performance package, that allows it to hit 60 in less than 3 seconds, is a performance package that comes with shorter gearings and eLSD that improves traction and launch that cost about $8,000 in the previous C7 generation. Add destination and the car that will hit 60 in 2.8 second is a $70,000 base car.

Having said all that.

WTF BMW. Chevy, CHEVROLET, the company that makes Malibus and Sparks and what not, just made the ONLY car in the world that can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds that cost less than $70,000 MSRP.

What. The. F**k. You would think that, any automotive company capable of innovation that allows them to make an "ultimate driving machine" wouldn't be wearing a bow-tie*. Where's our mid engine supercar? The i8? That's a joke from a performance standpoint.

Where's the BMW that provided the massive V12 for the fastest production car in the world? Where's the BMW that made just enough E30 M3s to dominate touring car for decades? Where's the BMW that was the De Facto "ultimate driving machine" that used to produce cars that many claimed to be the greatest sedan in the world?

You know what, I don't even begrudge. You all can say "hey but does it have 4 seats?" Chevy made something SPECIAL here. They weren't too shy about upsetting 50 years of tradition and put the engine behind the driver. They had a clear goal in mind, make the fastest, most capable car in a price range that a decent size of the population CAN aspire to.

What have YOU done lately, BMW?

There I just made it so it can stay in General BMW too.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 7
      07-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #458
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Under $60K is the BASE Stingray. The Z51 performance package, that allows it to hit 60 in less than 3 seconds, is a performance package that comes with shorter gearings and eLSD that improves traction and launch that cost about $8,000 in the previous C7 generation. Add destination and the car that will hit 60 in 2.8 second is a $70,000 base car.

Having said all that.

WTF BMW. Chevy, CHEVROLET, the company that makes Malibus and Sparks and what not, just made the ONLY car in the world that can hit 60 mph in less than 3 seconds that cost less than $70,000 MSRP.
Where did you see that it adds shorter gearing?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #459
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:

Having said all that.

What. The. F**k. You would think that, any automotive company capable of innovation that allows them to make an "ultimate driving machine" wouldn't be wearing a bow-tie*. Where's our mid engine supercar? The i8? That's a joke from a performance standpoint.

Where's the BMW that provided the massive V12 for the fastest production car in the world? Where's the BMW that made just enough E30 M3s to dominate touring car for decades? Where's the BMW that was the De Facto "ultimate driving machine" that used to produce cars that many claimed to be the greatest sedan in the world?

You know what, I don't even begrudge. You all can say "hey but does it have 4 seats?" Chevy made something SPECIAL here. They weren't too shy about upsetting 50 years of tradition and put the engine behind the driver. They had a clear goal in mind, make the fastest, most capable car in a price range that a decent size of the population CAN aspire to.

Very well said!

I would literally have to give pause if I were in the market for a 850 or 911 (much less Cayman or Boxster).
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #460
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theultimatedrivingmachine View Post

Having said all that.

BMW hasn't even attempted a real "super car" unless you consider the i8 in that category (which it certainly isn't). Audi has the R8, Mercedes as the AMG GT and bmw has.....
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      07-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #461
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:

Having said all that.

And you pay for CarPlay lol.....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #462
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Where did you see that it adds shorter gearing?
Um, EVERYWHERE?

I suppose if you’re not a Corvette FANBOI you probably won’t know, but the option packages and all the performance specs have been parsed a million times on Corvette Forum, of which a I am ALSO a regular participant (if you can’t see it in my avatar, the white car is a Chevrolet).

The 2.8 to 60 time is posted for the Z51, of which every generation with the Z51 offered, the package has come with shorter gearing to improve performance. They even made it a point to spell out that the sub 3 second 0-60 time was achieved in a Z51, not a base Stingray.

I think you’re going to have to TRUST ME on this one.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
Rmtt8206.00