BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC (on order)

Interior Trim Change

Hi All,

First post, just put through an order for a new stock X3MC in the UK

As per the subject, can I change the trims? I have Aluminium Carbon but would prefer carbon fibre?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvaas View Post
Hi All,

As per the subject, can I change the trims? I have Aluminium Carbon but would prefer carbon fibre?
If you were able to get the necessary parts, sure. However, you're probably looking at North of $2,000
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Turbo1204
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2024 bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All,

Have you seen the aluminum carbon? It's looks fantastic. I love carbon fiber but I love my aluminum carbon. Something new and since it's not shiny much easier to maintain Bc they swirl and loose shine. I mean enjoy whichever you end up with
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo0823 View Post
Have you seen the aluminum carbon? It's looks fantastic. I love carbon fiber but I love my aluminum carbon. Something new and since it's not shiny much easier to maintain Bc they swirl and loose shine. I mean enjoy whichever you end up with
I went with the aluminum myself as I don't understand the appeal of carbon fiber and I think the cabin has too many shiny black pieces.

OP - my salesman said I could change the build before it went to production. Also, you should be able to get the same price whether it was on the lot or ordered.

Where are you in the process?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Agreed...I have the aluminum carbon structure trim and I love it. Very low maintenance

Fresh meadows you say? I grew up there. My sister still lives there...if you see a donington grey roll by on utopia pkwy it’s probably me.
Appreciate 1
Turbo1204350.00
      12-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
Turbo1204
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2024 bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
Quote:
Agreed...I have the aluminum carbon structure trim and I love it. Very low maintenance

Fresh meadows you say? I grew up there. My sister still lives there...if you see a donington grey roll by on utopia pkwy it’s probably me.
Hey good to know. Love to see fellow M drivers. I'll keep an eye out.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
I have to agree with you there, past 4 cars I have always picked carbon fibre trim. But for this car seeing it in the flesh the alu carbon really works as it breaks up the interior colours and the already dark area around the centre console/gearstick area.

So....you can guess what I picked
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2019, 01:23 AM   #8
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3m

If you have only just put the order in you should be able to amend it and I think the trim is circa £600

The option to retrofit it is there but looking at £1600 I think just for the parts
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:35 AM   #9
MMJD
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 YAS BLUE

Yes I was quoted £1600 in parts, I put a post up on the forum.
So pleased I went Alu now though, looks really good!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all, It's already been delivered to the dealer actually! I was in luck, they had one with the spec I wanted on Friday, so I placed the deposit then completed the rest of the order on Saturday.... the dealer called me and told me it's just arrived into this dealership today so l'll be picking up in a week! To be honest I don't mind the aluminium, it's the nag who's whining about wanting Carbon Fibre.....

If anyone is wondering This is the spec I ordered

Donnington Grey
Black Merino Interior
+
Panoramic Roof
Comfort Pack
Enhanced Bluetooth
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Apple Car Play

I would have ideally liked Driving Assistant Plus but hey, with a 3 days turnaround for 95% spec and a great deal I can't really complain

Last edited by daltonvaas; 12-02-2019 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Thanks all, It's already been delivered to the dealer actually! I was in luck, they had one with the spec I wanted on Friday, so I placed the deposit then completed the rest of the order on Saturday.... the dealer called me and told me it's just arrived into this dealership today so l'll be picking up in a week! To be honest I don't mind the aluminium, it's the nag who's whining about wanting Carbon Fibre.....

If anyone is wondering This is the spec I ordered

Donnington Grey
Black Merino Interior
+
Panoramic Roof
Comfort Pack
Enhanced Bluetooth
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Apple Car Play

I would have ideally liked Driving Assistant Plus but hey, with a 3 days turnaround for 95% spec and a great deal I can't really complain
I didn't get the exact spec I wanted either and I got onto this deal mega early. I really wanted Parking Assistant+

My spec was pretty basic but ticked the essentials list that I gave my dealer:

Toronto Red (essential)
Pano Roof (essential)
Enhanced BT (essential)
Sun Protection Glass
Ventilated Seats
Carbon Trim
Adelaide Grey interior

Enjoy the car, it's epic!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:19 AM   #12
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I didn't get the exact spec I wanted either and I got onto this deal mega early. I really wanted Parking Assistant+

My spec was pretty basic but ticked the essentials list that I gave my dealer:

Toronto Red (essential)
Pano Roof (essential)
Enhanced BT (essential)
Sun Protection Glass
Ventilated Seats
Carbon Trim
Adelaide Grey interior

Enjoy the car, it's epic!
Thanks! I forgot to list I also got the sun protection glass too, think it contrasts well with the Donnington. What's your opinion of ride comfort? consensus seems to be that it's no where near as stiff as the reviews make out but is still stiffer than the average SUV. Comfortable for day to day?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #13
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

another one that had Park+ as a nice to have but couldnt resist the deal - pretty much same spec as yours.

Ride comfort is not bad. Can be a little "boomy" on rough roads at low speeds. But gets better as pace picks up and on motorways is really quite good.

enjoy - it is a lovely car!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
daltonvaas
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
another one that had Park+ as a nice to have but couldnt resist the deal - pretty much same spec as yours.

Ride comfort is not bad. Can be a little "boomy" on rough roads at low speeds. But gets better as pace picks up and on motorways is really quite good.

enjoy - it is a lovely car!
Thanks mate, cannot wait for the week to go by so I can pick up. I would have really like Park + too but I guess without a factory order some compromise needs to be made.
Appreciate 0