BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Clicking noises from the audio system?

I've searched for threads on this topic and it seems that it hasn't been raised by anyone.

My M40i and my dads 30i has this strange clicking noise or static shock sound from time to time that seems to come from the speakers. We both have a fully loaded car. I thought it may be related to CarPlay but my dad doesn't have that enabled on his and still getting the clicking.

It happens almost all the time moments after I start the car or minutes within driving off. Usually I'll hear the clicking sounds again a few times while driving.

Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

I have a static noise coming from the left rear door speakers that seems to be interference. I only notice it at the same points on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
1and3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 Xdrive40e

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I have a static noise coming from the left rear door speakers that seems to be interference. I only notice it at the same points on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I have the exact same thing on mine in addition to the same tick or pop noise on the one in the dash. Mine would do it every time on coldstart the first time you accelerate then the BMW center said they put padding in the speakers to stop the trays from vibrating. It did stop on cold start but now it randomly does it when there is noisy road surface. Not bumpy but noisy. BMW is now saying they can't replicate it and to try capturing it. It's so random I'd have to record all my drives.
2011 135i Black Sapphire/ Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm still getting it consistently on every drive. Like you said it's most noticeable the first time you drive off after starting the car. The noise to me seems electronic rather than physical. Not sure what could be causing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #5
1and3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVTee View Post
I'm still getting it consistently on every drive. Like you said it's most noticeable the first time you drive off after starting the car. The noise to me seems electronic rather than physical. Not sure what could be causing it.
Have you taken in to BMW to be diagnosed?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

No not yet as it's a hassle to go to the dealer and it's not bothering me that much yet. As I mentioned, we have 2 G01s in the family and they're doing the same thing so I was thinking that it's a more widespread problem. Although, judging by the response here it doesn't seem like there are too many others with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Yellowmattei
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi Msport, '20 X3 M40i

I don't have this problem in my M40i, but we do have this problem in our 2019 Honda Odyssey. It's been in two times without any success, and I've recorded the sounds for them. One mechanic made the mistake of mentioning to me that there was probably a a grounding problem somewhere. The trouble is, it can take hours to run that down, and the powers that be don't want the mechanic to spend time running down a problem like this when he can be working on problems that are more lucrative.

It seems to me your problem is likely similar. The noises you describe are a perfect match for the noises we hear in our car. I hope your BMW technician is more interested in your satisfaction than the Honda ones are. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
1and3
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
I got mine trade assisted by BMW because they could never find the source of the problem. Got an X4M for roughly the same payment.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Jeepersjoey
Stay Tuned!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

My wife had this in her 2019 SQ5. One day all it did was click. No other sounds (bells, radio, nag, etc) could be heard.

Took Audi 3 days to replace the amplifier under warranty for $1600.

I have heard it a few times in my M40i so I hope it is not the same!
Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #10
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepersjoey View Post
My wife had this in her 2019 SQ5. One day all it did was click. No other sounds (bells, radio, nag, etc) could be heard.

Took Audi 3 days to replace the amplifier under warranty for $1600.

I have heard it a few times in my M40i so I hope it is not the same!
Paul
This sounds like the culprit to me. I'll ask them to check that when I take it in for my first oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowmattei View Post
I don't have this problem in my M40i, but we do have this problem in our 2019 Honda Odyssey. It's been in two times without any success, and I've recorded the sounds for them. One mechanic made the mistake of mentioning to me that there was probably a a grounding problem somewhere. The trouble is, it can take hours to run that down, and the powers that be don't want the mechanic to spend time running down a problem like this when he can be working on problems that are more lucrative.

It seems to me your problem is likely similar. The noises you describe are a perfect match for the noises we hear in our car. I hope your BMW technician is more interested in your satisfaction than the Honda ones are. Good luck.
I think it's something to do with the grounding too. Based on the post above, I'm thinking bad grounding on the amp.

Thanks for the insights guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
bibidukas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVTee View Post
I've searched for threads on this topic and it seems that it hasn't been raised by anyone.

My M40i and my dads 30i has this strange clicking noise or static shock sound from time to time that seems to come from the speakers. We both have a fully loaded car. I thought it may be related to CarPlay but my dad doesn't have that enabled on his and still getting the clicking.

It happens almost all the time moments after I start the car or minutes within driving off. Usually I'll hear the clicking sounds again a few times while driving.

Anyone else have this problem?
Hey, EVtee, did you ever get the issue fixed? If so, what was the culprit? I’m having the exact same intermittent electric clicking sound during my drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 05:15 AM   #12
bibidukas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibidukas View Post
Hey, EVtee, did you ever get the issue fixed? If so, what was the culprit? I’m having the exact same intermittent electric clicking sound during my drives.
So I probably figured out the reason. Since the occasional electric clicking sound was coming from the central air ducts, air ionization seemed like a plausible culprit. Turning it off gets rid of the clicking. Turning it back on again brings it back.

I found that air purifiers are known to do that when there’s dust that builds up static electricity, which discharges from time to time. I’ll take the car to the service center and we’ll see what fix they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #13
EVTee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, EVtee, did you ever get the issue fixed? If so, what was the culprit? I'm having the exact same intermittent electric clicking sound during my drives.
So I probably figured out the reason. Since the occasional electric clicking sound was coming from the central air ducts, air ionization seemed like a plausible culprit. Turning it off gets rid of the clicking. Turning it back on again brings it back.

I found that air purifiers are known to do that when there's dust that builds up static electricity, which discharges from time to time. I'll take the car to the service center and we'll see what fix they come up with.
That seems like a very plausible explanation! Service acknowledged the problem and they just kept resetting the software since they couldn't really understand what was causing it.

I've passed the X3 on to my dad since his lease was over so I'll let him know to try and turn off the ionizer.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #14
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

I have this issue about 3- seconds after cold start and seems to go away randomly after driving for a bit. I haven't brought it to the dealership for this because it's been there a few times trying to find a metallic rattle in dashboard.
      04-07-2022, 03:24 AM   #15
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I had a similar problem on my 335i, which I investigated and found was a poorly soldered speaker wire. It would randomly cause that speaker to crackle and completely lose sound.
Appreciate 0