BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #133
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i / 1991 MR2

My cheap Chinese wireless charger ($80) have issues after couple weeks of the installation. The charging was really slow and when is not charging the light will keep flashing for some reason and make some clip noise. So I believe it's made with very poor quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #134
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

My wireless charger in my '19 m40i overheats my iPhone XS if left on >45 minutes or so. I brought it into the dealer and they told me that the overheating issue is 'functioning as normal' which is insane. They also said there is no fix (confirmed with BMW corporate). Anyone else had any luck actually getting this fixed? How do I get the dealer to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #135
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

My Samsung Galaxy S9+ is charging without problems.

The charge itself compared to the Samsung wireless fast charger is fairly slow with 1% of charge added every 5 minutes.

The phone is getting a bit warm, but not hot.

The Samsung wireless fastcharger is actively cooled with a noisy fan to keep temperature at moderate levels. So i suspect BMW have limited the current on the wireless charger to cope with thermal problems.

But at least the phone is holding it's charge while being used in the car. To charge it when fully drained, i have a plug in charger in the center console.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #136
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x3, BMW X7 Individual

They finally replaced my wireless charger yesterday. So far the drive from the dealership to home was about 20 min, I did not have any orange light. This morning drive from home to work, no issues. I hope this is the fix. I have an Iphone X with an Apple case. Now my other issue is the steering vibrate, when I put it on strong setting there is no difference from light, mid, to strong. I had a loaner yesterday an X1 and I can feel the vibrate and the difference among the 3 settings. Well, I got annoyed with it and just turned it off.... Idk if I will have the dealership check it next time I visit them. OCD Customer..jajaja
      01-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #137
Chiddeh
Rep
Drives: ---

I’m so frustrated with my dealer and BMW. My wireless charger worked flawlessly for the first 19000 miles or so and then started giving me the orange light. I drive close to 45 minutes to and from work everyday. The phone charges maybe 4-10 minutes, sometimes less, and then the charger goes orange the entire rest of the time. While BMW says the orange light means the charger overheated, shut off because it needs to cool, and will resume charging once it cools down, the phone continues to get warmer sitting on the charger and the orange light never goes out. The dealership said they called BMW and were told this is normal functionality with no explanation for why it worked fine previously. At the last visit they told me it overheats in the colder months because of heat vents under the console making it get warmer. So I spent a few days driving with the A/C going to keep it ridiculously cold inside and had the exact same problem. They are refusing to replace it. This is my first BMW and they are working hard to make sure it is my last. I’ve actually been thinking of getting a refund on the extended warranty I purchased and trading this in for a Lexus. The Lexus doesn’t have wireless charging but at least it might be more reliable and I’m losing faith in BMW.

I’m thinking BMW knows this is a defective product and maybe the replacements will develop the same issue. But what they should be doing is fixing the issue and doing a recall in that case and not talking to their customers like they are morons. Class action lawsuit time!?

In the mean time I got a usb fast charging cigarette lighter adapter and plugged in a wireless charging pad I bought off Amazon. And guess what, it charges without a problem the entire time I drive, no overheating.

My car is a 2018 BMW X3 M40i and phone is the iPhone XS Max.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #138
bmwetsu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiddeh View Post
I’m so frustrated with my dealer and BMW. My wireless charger worked flawlessly for the first 19000 miles or so and then started giving me the orange light. I drive close to 45 minutes to and from work everyday. The phone charges maybe 4-10 minutes, sometimes less, and then the charger goes orange the entire rest of the time. While BMW says the orange light means the charger overheated, shut off because it needs to cool, and will resume charging once it cools down, the phone continues to get warmer sitting on the charger and the orange light never goes out. The dealership said they called BMW and were told this is normal functionality with no explanation for why it worked fine previously. At the last visit they told me it overheats in the colder months because of heat vents under the console making it get warmer. So I spent a few days driving with the A/C going to keep it ridiculously cold inside and had the exact same problem. They are refusing to replace it. This is my first BMW and they are working hard to make sure it is my last. I’ve actually been thinking of getting a refund on the extended warranty I purchased and trading this in for a Lexus. The Lexus doesn’t have wireless charging but at least it might be more reliable and I’m losing faith in BMW.

I’m thinking BMW knows this is a defective product and maybe the replacements will develop the same issue. But what they should be doing is fixing the issue and doing a recall in that case and not talking to their customers like they are morons. Class action lawsuit time!?

In the mean time I got a usb fast charging cigarette lighter adapter and plugged in a wireless charging pad I bought off Amazon. And guess what, it charges without a problem the entire time I drive, no overheating.

My car is a 2018 BMW X3 M40i and phone is the iPhone XS Max.
I have a 2019 X3 M40i with the wireless charger and I can tell you that yes it does get hot and cut off sometimes for me. I noticed the problem more with my prior phone & case, but my current phone & case seem to be better. I just took a 9 hour drive this past weekend with the phone sitting on the wireless charger and Waze guiding me via Apple Car Play and everything worked. NOTE: THE PHONE GOT VERY HOT!!! Luckily it and the charger plate cooled down when I stopped for gas and bathroom breaks.

My question is have you tried using it without a case to see if the thickness of the case could be causing a problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #139
Chiddeh
Rep
Drives: ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwetsu View Post
I have a 2019 X3 M40i with the wireless charger and I can tell you that yes it does get hot and cut off sometimes for me. I noticed the problem more with my prior phone & case, but my current phone & case seem to be better. I just took a 9 hour drive this past weekend with the phone sitting on the wireless charger and Waze guiding me via Apple Car Play and everything worked. NOTE: THE PHONE GOT VERY HOT!!! Luckily it and the charger plate cooled down when I stopped for gas and bathroom breaks.

My question is have you tried using it without a case to see if the thickness of the case could be causing a problem?
Yup, I tried it with a case, without a case, as well as other iPhones. Same result. It worked great for the first 19000 miles then started having problems.

The thing that boggles my mind is that the multiple charging pads I have made by Anker and Yootech that I got off Amazon work perfectly. No overheating issues or anything and I’ve had some longer than I’ve had this car. I would imagine the BMW one is something similar just integrated into the center console. How can they mess this up this bad?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #140
freewheelin_1ca
Freewheelin_1ca
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3M40i

I had a similar and frustrating problem with the wireless charger on on my 2018 X3M40. after a number of visits, I got a resolution by "forcing" the dealership to replace the charger, which they did with a 2020 model. Zero issues since then.

Either the early wireless charger models are all buggy, or they were inconsistently manufactured. In either case, BMW should man up and replace problematic chargers proactively.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #141
thiagop
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

Mine works fine I just hate how you have to position it correctly to work and with a large device like the iPhone Max versions this isn’t always straightforward.
Also notice a lag for it to detect I removed the phone from the charger and almost always get the “mobile in the charging tray notice” after grabbing my phone and opening the door.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #142
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

So has everyone determined that this is a MY18 and 19 problem? I have a MY20 and have had no issues with my iPhone X with an Apple leather case. I occasionally get an orange light, but it's infrequent, and I usually drive with the lid closed. My only downside is that with Waze constantly running, the phone never really charges, but it does at least maintain its charged level.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #143
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I was the original poster, MY19 UK X3 M40i, once my charging base was replaced under warranty i haven't had any problems since.

On a very long journey the phone gets hot and can end up getting the orange light then, but the phone is also typically fully charged by then even when running waze.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #144
kitmonster
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had all the same problems already mentioned plus a badly leaking roof. After 2 years the dealer took it back in for repairs and, likely worrying about a negative customer satisfaction score from me, fixed the roof, gave a car a really deep clean and replaced the wireless charger.

They did say the wireless charger was faulty and that it was reading a temperature that was higher than reality. So this could be the overheating fault some people are mentioning but exasperated by a faulty temperature sensor.

Anyway the new unit now works 100% of the time so I think is fair to say they have fitted a lot of faulty wireless charging pads that need replacing. For the record the newer pads have less texture and look a little smoother and shinier. Same design.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #145
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Samsung S10 with UAG case. No issues ever.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #146
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
I was the original poster, MY19 UK X3 M40i, once my charging base was replaced under warranty i haven't had any problems since.

On a very long journey the phone gets hot and can end up getting the orange light then, but the phone is also typically fully charged by then even when running waze.
What do you class as very long (fnar fnar)? I initially had the dreaded orange light, then got it warranty replace. All blue goodness now but:

1. The phone gets massively hot, even after less than an hour
2. It hardly charges up - maybe a few % 10 at most an hour

My home phone wireless charger is way quicker, and does not heat at all :-/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #147
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Don't forget that the factory charger also functions as an LTE signal booster. This feature is buried but if you dig deep enough in the iDrive legal notices, you'll find language for USA models that requires you to report connection of the device to your carrier's network.

I think this is what heats the phone and causes the orange light. Given the crappy networks here in the USA, I'm happy to trade a little off-charger cool-down time for the signal enhancements.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #148
ffchun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Has anyone have any problems using the wireless charging area with Verizon as the carrier. Just wondering ...Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #149
ffchun
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorin Mark View Post
Anybody know if our wireless charger works with the i-phone 5s or se? Thanks
You can purchase a cover from Amazon so that its Qi compliant...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #150
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchun View Post
You can purchase a cover from Amazon so that its Qi compliant...
I have an iPhone 7+ with a thin Otterbox case. Will this charge with the wireless charger in the X3 as it is?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #151
ffchun
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I have an iPhone 7+ with a thin Otterbox case. Will this charge with the wireless charger in the X3 as it is?
Okay, we had decided to use the cig ighter with a charger versus the wireless charger. It takes way tooooo long for the wireless charger to charge a phone versus the lighter...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #152
Wxchaser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes Benz GLC 300 SUV

I think the charger is only rated at 5W
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #153
thecritikal1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Tried an aftermarket charger and had a few of issues.

1. I always forgot my phone in the car. (yeah I know my problem but still a problem)

2. The charging using the USB-C in the car as most have reported doesn't provide enough power to make it work right and had to plug it in to the cigarette lighter.

Bought an Aukey Qi 10w wireless cradle which works fine for me and I don't forget my phone.

Price was right too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:00 PM   #154
X3-30E
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, G01-30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
What do you class as very long (fnar fnar)? I initially had the dreaded orange light, then got it warranty replace. All blue goodness now but:

1. The phone gets massively hot, even after less than an hour
2. It hardly charges up - maybe a few % 10 at most an hour

My home phone wireless charger is way quicker, and does not heat at all :-/
Well, this is a $500 option, it better works!
Appreciate 0