BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I've had 0 problems whatsoever with an iPhone X and now an iPhone XR, both inside an aramid case. I just place it, light always turns blue, it charges at a normal (not fast) speed.

Sorry, to be honest I do have ONE problem with it. If I use launch control and take off really hard, it will sometimes fly out of the compartment!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussell1992 View Post
I had a similar issue as original poster - iphone X and XS max both had trouble charging. I think the first week or so that I had the car, all worked fine but shortly after I started only getting a blue light blink 2-5x, followed by a switch to the orange light. End result being that the phone wouldn't charge. When the car was off in a silent garage I could swear that I could hear a noise coming from the charger when I placed the phone on it, like a super light humming.

At the end of the day I took it into the dealer who replaced the unit. 3 weeks later and I get consistent blue charges every time. Only downside is they washed the car and now I need full paint correction due to hard water spotting and swirling in the CB paint, so I guess it will end up being a pricey fix.
Thanks - sounds like mine.
Guess I'll be calling the dealer on Monday morning then...
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:40 AM   #25
dejainc
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x30d

No issues on my M40i but constant issues with my 30D loan car. Only charges when u place it down and blue light turns to orange after a short while (each time is different ranging from 3 seconds to 1 minute). I only had the loan car for 10 days so gave up and used a cable.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #26
Matt1002
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive20i M Sport

Garage List
Test drove an X3 with the tray a couple weeks ago and both my mom’s Galaxy S7 and my iPhone X charged slowly, but they did charge. Ordered it still, since it’s nice to have a back up when you don’t have a cable
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejainc View Post
No issues on my M40i but constant issues with my 30D loan car. Only charges when u place it down and blue light turns to orange after a short while (each time is different ranging from 3 seconds to 1 minute). I only had the loan car for 10 days so gave up and used a cable.
That's exactly what mine is doing now.
Thank you.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #28
dejainc
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Thank you.
Take it back to the dealer. I reckon it's a bad or loose charging coil in the housing. Easy fix if they have parts.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #29
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i and 2014 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.
Take it back to the dealer. I reckon it's a bad or loose charging coil in the housing. Easy fix if they have parts.
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.
Same symptoms on our 30i with a new iPhone XR. Blue light comes on initially but then flips to orange after a minute or so. No case on the phone.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #30
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrich View Post
Same symptoms on our 30i with a new iPhone XR. Blue light comes on initially but then flips to orange after a minute or so. No case on the phone.
Mine's booked in for "diagnostic" in 10 days. Earliest they could fit me in.
If they then need to order parts i'll have to take it back in another time.

If i wanted a courtesy car i'd have to wait 5 weeks!!
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #31
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Went in yesterday, agreed there is an issue, but they can't order a replacement part as it's on hold... so I'm assuming it's either a part shortage, or they've realised there's an issue and they're fixing it.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
syumassh
2018 BMW X3 30i M-Sport
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i M-Sport

Anyone knows what's the actual amps for the charging tray? I find it charges the iPhone X rather slowly; no "live" apps running. I could never get my phone ip to 100% and staying at 100%.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #33
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syumassh View Post
Anyone knows what's the actual amps for the charging tray? I find it charges the iPhone X rather slowly; no "live" apps running. I could never get my phone ip to 100% and staying at 100%.
(For emphasis, the information below applies to Apple devices. I know nothing about Android.)

It's my understanding that iPhones treat the BMW wireless charger as a lowly 5W one. The older iPhone X, for example, could only use standard Qi chargers at 5W, and charging at 7.5W requires special Apple wireless chargers (or something). I don't know how true this is, but someone said that the iPhone Xs can charge at 10W. If so, that's still slower than a good wired charger.

So, wireless charging is great for convenience, but sucks for charge time and battery longevity (wireless charging causes the iPhone to get fairly hot, and heat reduces the overall battery lifetime). Personally, I use wired charging for the speed and lower temperatures.

Side note: the built-in BMW USB ports -- as well the "cigarette lighter USB charger" adapter sold by BMW -- are treated as sucky 5W chargers by Apple devices. They'll charge your iPhones really slowly. If you want the best Apple charging speed, you have to get something like this.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #34
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:
(For emphasis, the information below applies to Apple devices. I know nothing about Android.)

It's my understanding that iPhones treat the BMW wireless charger as a lowly 5W one. The older iPhone X, for example, could only use standard Qi chargers at 5W, and charging at 7.5W requires special Apple wireless chargers (or something). I don't know how true this is, but someone said that the iPhone Xs can charge at 10W. If so, that's still slower than a good wired charger.

So, wireless charging is great for convenience, but sucks for charge time and battery longevity (wireless charging causes the iPhone to get fairly hot, and heat reduces the overall battery lifetime). Personally, I use wired charging for the speed and lower temperatures.

Side note: the built-in BMW USB ports -- as well the "cigarette lighter USB charger" adapter sold by BMW -- are treated as sucky 5W chargers by Apple devices. They'll charge your iPhones really slowly. If you want the best Apple charging speed, you have to get something like this.
Thanks for confirming that the wireless charger has a low output, hence slow charging vs. wired option. I used the same flush mount duel USB charger and it looks nice in my X3. With max 2.4A output per outlet, it charges twice as fast as the charger provided by BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #35
syumassh
2018 BMW X3 30i M-Sport
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:

Thanks.

I used my own 2.4A per USB slot charger in the cigg socket.
It still charges much slower than my Audi A4 (B9).

It's not a big deal but it's enough for me to notice my phone is never at 100% when I come out of the G01 X3.

But in the A4 I always leave the car with a fully charged phone.

Same phone same cable same USB charger in the cigg socket; just different cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #36
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was sitting in the car today, playing music from my phone thru CarPlay while adjusting various setting on iDrive and CarPlay. I noticed that the battery on my phone (unplugged at the time) drained quickly during that time from >90% to <40% in not quite an hour. Maybe the problem is related to high power demand (especially with wireless CarPlay active) and not just slow charging? I would experiment with phone disconnected from CarPlay when I have a chance and see of the battery can hold its charge better.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #37
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
I used my own 2.4A per USB slot charger in the cigg socket.
It still charges much slower than my Audi A4 (B9).
Are you using a charger that supports the Apple charging protocol? If not, then an Apple device will treat that charger as a 1A (5W) one and not a 2.4A (12W) one. In other words, if you use a charger that does not support the Apple charging protocol, the Apple device will charge very slowly, using only 1A (5W). Note that BMW's cheesy USB "2.4A" charger is one of these; while it might support 2.4A (12W) for andriod devices, Apple devices will treat it as a 1A (5W) charger and charge slowly.

I'm using that USB adapter mentioned in my earlier post (it supports the Apple charging protocol), and I can use carplay and charge without problems. I've always ended up with 100% charge on longer trips (1-2 hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I was sitting in the car today, playing music from my phone thru CarPlay while adjusting various setting on iDrive and CarPlay. I noticed that the battery on my phone (unplugged at the time) drained quickly during that time from >90% to <40% in not quite an hour.
I don't know if that severe a battery usage is normal, but I do know that carplay heavily uses wifi, and that will eat battery. The iPhone should really be connected to a charger if carplay is being used.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #38
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Went in yesterday, agreed there is an issue, but they can't order a replacement part as it's on hold... so I'm assuming it's either a part shortage, or they've realised there's an issue and they're fixing it.
Any update on your issue?

I got my X3 10 days ago and noticed the same issue (quickly turning orange and not charging regardless of the placement) and wanted to see if it's worth taking it in to the dealer.

Did you have to let them know others are reporting similar issue on forums or did the dealer know how to diagnose the wireless charger?
      12-30-2018, 01:18 AM   #39
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
Quote:

I got my X3 10 days ago and noticed the same issue (quickly turning orange and not charging regardless of the placement) and wanted to see if it's worth taking it in to the dealer.

Did you have to let them know others are reporting similar issue on forums or did the dealer know how to diagnose the wireless charger?
If you don't take it in, they won't know you have a problem that should be fixed under warranty.

Mine seems to work, but the charging current is low as expected. Sharing Internet at the same time as charging on a long trip overheated my iPhone, and the phone was in an emergency mode while cooling off.

Will be using a Brodie proclip, just mounted, and a high power cig charger via cable on those occasions instead.
      12-30-2018, 02:10 AM   #40
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
Quote:

Haven't heard back yet.
I had to demonstrate the issue in the car park when I went there so the service adviser and the technician could see the problem. 10 minutes in the car showed them the problem plenty of times!
I need to call them and chase up actually, have just been using a USB cable plugged in next to the charging tray.

You need to contact them and let them know this is happening, and you may have to demonstrate the issue as I did. Then at least they can acknowledge the issue and look into a fix for you.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:06 AM   #41
Cottonmouth
Ataraxic
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

iPhone XS Max - very slow charging and the phone gets extremely hot, to the point of becoming very slow and annoyingly laggy. Same on the X I had back when I got the car. Interesting experiment though. I tried fast charging on a Samsung pad and had the same overheating issue. A cheap Anker one, no overheating. Samsung one was 7.5w, Anker was 5. Perhaps induction issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #42
SDGUY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

I have an S8 with smooth Otter case. It slides off the sweet spot very easily. Any ideas to keep the phone in place?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #43
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGUY View Post
I have an S8 with smooth Otter case. It slides off the sweet spot very easily. Any ideas to keep the phone in place?
a thin rubber or silicone mat that give you the drag, but don't increase the distance much from the charging pad to your phones since you already use a phone case?

a good place to start is mat for cup holders. you can also find it here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNYYLSB...sms_tai_yArgCb
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #44
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
Position on the pad matters and, like others have posted, it is slow to charge and the phone gets warm. That being said, I still prefer the wireless charging over a cord.
Appreciate 0