BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #67
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
with the sales person talking incessantly.
They do that on purpose, so you can't concentrate and identify issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #68
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

Had my vehicle in the shop yesterday...SA claims he could not hear the pano roof rattle after his test drive. Claims he hasn’t had this issue before. What a total waste of my time. I asked boy wonder to at least lube the rubber seal like some have reported helps but he said he can’t perform any warranty type work unless they can reproduce the issue. I won’t let this go...very OCD about rattles and squeaks. It’s going back in and this time I’ll go on the test drive with a more experienced tech. It should not be this hard.

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 07-17-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #69
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

So anyone got a fix for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #70
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Had my vehicle in the shop yesterday...SA claims he could not hear the pano roof rattle after his test drive. Claims he hasn’t had this issue before. What a total waste of my time. I asked boy wonder to at least lube the rubber seal like some have reported helps but he said he can’t perform any warranty type work unless they can reproduce the issue. I won’t let this go...very OCD about rattles and squeaks. It’s going back in and this time I’ll go on the test drive with a more experienced tech. It should not be this hard.
It’s multiple horror stories like this keeping me from even bothering to bring my noisy sunroof’d M40i in to have it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #71
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

I have roof creek only when my car is in an angle. Let's say, the front wheel is higher since I'm going into a raised parking. Sounds like plastics or gaskets rubbing. The dealer said they couldn't reproduce sound so they can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #72
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Consider putting a very light coating of dielectric grease on the entire gasket.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #73
pej7445
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Garage List
2019 x3 m40i  [0.00]
I had this as well and was persistent with the dealer. Finally, after a 3rd attempt, they figured it out. I showed them some data from this link: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=59

The checked the sunroof frame and found it to be out of alignment, and a loose area. They aligned it and tightened it. It's been about a month now and no issues, although I suspect this may occur again. At least we now know what the root cause is.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #74
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iManu View Post
I have roof creek only when my car is in an angle. Let's say, the front wheel is higher since I'm going into a raised parking. Sounds like plastics or gaskets rubbing. The dealer said they couldn't reproduce sound so they can't fix it.
I think I had the same issue. It was from the trunk trim surrounding the button to release the trunk cover. Press on the plastic piece and see if that's the noise. I put foam pieces around the gaps of the that plastic and the noise is almost gone
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #75
Fujing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Had my vehicle in the shop yesterday...SA claims he could not hear the pano roof rattle after his test drive. Claims he hasn't had this issue before. What a total waste of my time. I asked boy wonder to at least lube the rubber seal like some have reported helps but he said he can't perform any warranty type work unless they can reproduce the issue. I won't let this go...very OCD about rattles and squeaks. It's going back in and this time I'll go on the test drive with a more experienced tech. It should not be this hard.
I switched to DW40 now, it lasts much longer than the rubber protectant. I also put a small foam piece in between the fixed and sliding pieces (a small piece on the centre and one close to the passenger side)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #76
ValvoLime
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujing View Post
Quote:
Had my vehicle in the shop yesterday...SA claims he could not hear the pano roof rattle after his test drive. Claims he hasn't had this issue before. What a total waste of my time. I asked boy wonder to at least lube the rubber seal like some have reported helps but he said he can't perform any warranty type work unless they can reproduce the issue. I won't let this go...very OCD about rattles and squeaks. It's going back in and this time I'll go on the test drive with a more experienced tech. It should not be this hard.
I switched to DW40 now, it lasts much longer than the rubber protectant. I also put a small foam piece in between the fixed and sliding pieces (a small piece on the centre and one close to the passenger side)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujing View Post
Quote:
If you mean WD40, I would be very wary of that. WD40 is primarily a solvent with lubrication kind of a secondary function
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #77
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Mine continues to rattle incessantly anytime I go over some bumpy roads.

In addition, I now get a loud creak/pop about 50% of the time when I back out of my driveway. About to book my 3rd trip in for this after 2 failed attempts to replicate.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #78
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

I know many of you have been searching for fixes to the pano roof rattle like I have been so I wanted to provide some added information. I took my G01 back to service a 2nd time and thought the tech notes might be helpful to others. My car was quiet on the 17 miles drive homebut I'll need to do more driving on various roads and at different temps to definitively say I am now rattle free.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pej744593.00
JoshV14.50
      10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #79
bingohandjob
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

I had a 2020 X3 built to order. The rattle from the roof as described in these posts appeared after a week. The dealer took a week to locate the source (the sunroof), and replaced the blind only. The rattle didn't go away. Retuned to the dealer who replaced the entire sunroof cassette. In re-reprogramming the roof, they corrupted something in the sound system and I am currently waiting for that part to be replaced, which is +2 weeks due to the car being 'so new' (dealer's words, not mine). The loan X3 I have has EXACTLY the same rattle coming from the roof...I can't help but thinking BMW have a big issue here, but are keeping it quiet.

Last edited by bingohandjob; 10-08-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #80
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingohandjob View Post
I had a 2020 X3 built or order. The rattle from the roof as described in these posts appeared after a week. The dealer took a week to locate the source (the sunroof), and replaced the blind only. The rattle didn't go away. Retuned to the dealer who replaced the entire sunroof cassette. In re-reprogramming the roof, they corrupted something in the sound system and I am currently waiting for that part to be replaced, which is +2 weeks due to the car being 'so new' (dealer's words, not mine). The loan X3 I have has EXACTLY the same rattle coming from the roof...I can't help but thinking BMW have a big issue here, but are keeping it quiet.
My 2018 has the rattle too and dealer wasn’t able to fix it. This is a multi-year-long design flaw in the X3 that BMW doesn’t give a F about.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #81
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
My 2018 has the rattle too and dealer wasn’t able to fix it. This is a multi-year-long design flaw in the X3 that BMW doesn’t give a F about.
Did they replace the entire cassette? And given they didn't fix it, can't you claim 'lemon law'?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #82
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

They couldn't reproduce it. So no they didn't replace anything. I'm apprehensive about pushing more because despite this problem existing for years, I've not read many? any? posts from people here that definitely had a bad sunroof rattle and 100% got it fixed. But there are PLENTY of posts from people trying to get it fixed and failing.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #83
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
They couldn't reproduce it. So no they didn't replace anything. I'm apprehensive about pushing more because despite this problem existing for years, I've not read many? any? posts from people here that definitely had a bad sunroof rattle and 100% got it fixed. But there are PLENTY of posts from people trying to get it fixed and failing.
You have every right to push for a fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #84
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingohandjob View Post
You have every right to push for a fix.
Not sure you understand me. It's not that I don't feel I have the right to push for a fix. It's that I don't see why I would waste my time doing it when essentially no one who has done so has had a positive resolution. Even over almost 3 years time, and as many model year X3s. As I place a high value on my time, it is not worth it for me to pursue something I have no reason to believe will result in a positive outcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #85
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Not sure you understand me. It's not that I don't feel I have the right to push for a fix. It's that I don't see why I would waste my time doing it when essentially no one who has done so has had a positive resolution. Even over almost 3 years time, and as many model year X3s. As I place a high value on my time, it is not worth it for me to pursue something I have no reason to believe will result in a positive outcome.
Well I'll let you know how I get on. I have no intention of spending money on a car with a fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #86
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
You try lubing the seal?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #87
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
You try lubing the seal?
I haven't tried anything: it's all being taken care of by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #88
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
You try lubing the seal?
Yes, made no difference. The rattle will go away for weeks at a time and then come back for months, too.
Appreciate 0