BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Twickers
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i on the way

Problem with seat, lumbar support issue?

Hi everyone, I hope you have all had a good start to 2020. I recently bought a replacement X3 after a rejection and have found that when the lumbar support is fully deflated I can still feel a a lump, as if it was still slightly pumped-up. I have sat in a few cars at the dealership which all feel perfectly flat but none of them have the lumbar support option. I seem to remember that in my old rejected G01 the seat back felt perfectly flat (it had the lumbar support option). The dealership doesn’t feel there is anything wrong with it and their lead tech thinks that all I am feeling is the lumbar support mechanism. That in itself doesn’t seem right as I never felt it before. So I wonder for those of you who have that option, when it is fully deflated, can you still feel something poking in your back or do you have a flat surface?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Can't say I've noticed any issue but we're all different shapes so we will all have differing pressure points.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Twickers, I felt same issue with every X3 and X4 sport seat that I tried at the dealer except one (and I tried a lot). The 2020 seemed to be more pronounced than the 2019.

My departed car is an X6 with comfort seats. When my X4 shows its face in a few weeks; I'm crossing my fingers that its either ok or I'll get used to it.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
jaychoy912
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I feel the same thing on my 2019. Have it set to zero lumbar and it's still noticeable but only barely
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you have all had a good start to 2020. I recently bought a replacement X3 after a rejection and have found that when the lumbar support is fully deflated I can still feel a a lump, as if it was still slightly pumped-up. I have sat in a few cars at the dealership which all feel perfectly flat but none of them have the lumbar support option. I seem to remember that in my old rejected G01 the seat back felt perfectly flat (it had the lumbar support option). The dealership doesn’t feel there is anything wrong with it and their lead tech thinks that all I am feeling is the lumbar support mechanism. That in itself doesn’t seem right as I never felt it before. So I wonder for those of you who have that option, when it is fully deflated, can you still feel something poking in your back or do you have a flat surface?
Do you have ventilated or non ventilated sport seats?
Appreciate 1
arube138.50
      01-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40i017 View Post
Do you have ventilated or non ventilated sport seats?
Hi, it's the non ventilated sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Twickers, I felt same issue with every X3 and X4 sport seat that I tried at the dealer except one (and I tried a lot). The 2020 seemed to be more pronounced than the 2019.

My departed car is an X6 with comfort seats. When my X4 shows its face in a few weeks; I'm crossing my fingers that its either ok or I'll get used to it.
It's a shame it's a luck of the draw situation. Unfortunately I just cannot get comfortable in mine because of this and the dealer claims they can't feel a difference. It's a slightly infuriating situation.
Appreciate 1
M40i01746.50
      10-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

If you can always feel it even on the lowest setting, you probably have a slight curvature of the lower spine. The lumbar support is there to make sure you sit upright and not cause issues (like sitting at a desk on a laptop all day).

A year ago I had a terrible posture, with rounding of the lower back and shoulders. I've spent a lot of time in the gym this year and have corrected both of these, meaning I now stand and sit up properly. As a result, I can tell the difference in the seats
Appreciate 0