BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Love the smell of burning oil..

I just got my car back from a warranty repair.. I took it in due to a burning smell that would fill the car up once in when I brake. Happens maybe once a day or every other day. Really strange.

Took it in and ends up my seal on oil cap failed. This caused oil to get on the exhaust and cook off. What is really strange is that my car fills up with the smell even though I have my X3 on air recycle.

Just glad it was something minor and not major.. and all covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
dmicah
Internet Weasel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Took it in and ends up my seal on oil cap failed. This caused oil to get on the exhaust and cook off. What is really strange is that my car fills up with the smell even though I have my X3 on air recycle.

Just glad it was something minor and not major.. and all covered under warranty.
Air recycle is not 100%. And even if it were, you've got oil burning on the exhaust manifold 2 feet in front of your nose. You'll smell it!

Glad it's all taken care of though. That does sound like a very minor fail causing a big stink!
Appreciate 0