BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Rukburd
Rep
Drives: X4 M Comp

Dealer Joyride?

Hi all,

So my X4 M C is back at the dealership sorting out a few issues spotted after collection. I’ve been checking the vehicle info on the connected app throughout yesterday and today. No activity yesterday, but today the vehicle clocked an extra mile on the odometer (nothing odd), now the odd thing is the app has reduced the fuel in the tank by 3ltrs, and the range dropped 30 odd miles. Is the connected app really accurate? Did someone at the dealership take the vehicle for a blast for a mile?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

I lost 10 miles on my RIS. Maybe they REALLY wanted to give your beast a run after the work to make sure it was ok 🤔
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukburd View Post
Hi all,

So my X4 M C is back at the dealership sorting out a few issues spotted after collection. I’ve been checking the vehicle info on the connected app throughout yesterday and today. No activity yesterday, but today the vehicle clocked an extra mile on the odometer (nothing odd), now the odd thing is the app has reduced the fuel in the tank by 3ltrs, and the range dropped 30 odd miles. Is the connected app really accurate? Did someone at the dealership take the vehicle for a blast for a mile?
I wouldn't trust the fuel data on the app. taking it for a drive while in for service is nothing unusual.

get a dash cam, then you know exactly what happened...
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      01-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Rukburd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I wouldn't trust the fuel data on the app. taking it for a drive while in for service is nothing unusual.

Yeah, thinking a dash cam will be needed. The vehicle is not in for anything mechanical, just cosmetics issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
I lost 10 miles on my RIS. Maybe they REALLY wanted to give your beast a run after the work to make sure it was ok 🤔
I lost 10 miles pulling away from the lights. 1 mile could be driving it slowly onto a ramp, especially if the preceding miles were averaging over 50 on motorway.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

next thread. MY DASH CAM WAS STOLEN AT THE DEALERSHIP !
      01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

When mine went for RIS the dash cam was unplugged and turned off. Only noticed it was off later on that night......so they will do anything to avoid letting you see what they get up to. Lost fuel range miles was prob the engine sitting running without doing any actual miles.
      01-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-f View Post
When mine went for RIS the dash cam was unplugged and turned off. Only noticed it was off later on that night......so they will do anything to avoid letting you see what they get up to. Lost fuel range miles was prob the engine sitting running without doing any actual miles.
They normally have a sign on the service desk stating dash cams will be totally disconnected while service is in progress. Not just BMW do this many other dealerships do the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
next thread. MY DASH CAM WAS STOLEN AT THE DEALERSHIP !
My Dashcam on my i3 was unplugged at dealership and I found out about it when I got an accident.
I don't have a way to check who was at fault because of that.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmicro View Post
They normally have a sign on the service desk stating dash cams will be totally disconnected while service is in progress. Not just BMW do this many other dealerships do the same.
Yea was first service of a car since i had one fitted and i had heard of this before but totally forgot to check. Am sure the tech could easily just plug it back in when finished tho if they always remember to take it out to start with.

But yea i will always remember to check before driving away in future
      01-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

If for run in service, make a note of the mileage when you drop it off. Dealer that did my F80 RIS drove it nearly 20 miles. Their explanation is that they need to get the differential warmed up to ensure everything is working smoothly after the fluid changes, but they were a joke of a service dept so could have just been a way to explain away their joyride. But ever since, I make a note of mileage in and mileage out just in case.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
If for run in service, make a note of the mileage when you drop it off. Dealer that did my F80 RIS drove it nearly 20 miles. Their explanation is that they need to get the differential warmed up to ensure everything is working smoothly after the fluid changes, but they were a joke of a service dept so could have just been a way to explain away their joyride. But ever since, I make a note of mileage in and mileage out just in case.
lol that is complete BS. Other than perhaps starting the vehicle and checking for leaking fluid there is absolutely no reason to drive 20mi after a diff fluid change. There is really no need for a lengthy test drive after any fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #13
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
lol that is complete BS. Other than perhaps starting the vehicle and checking for leaking fluid there is absolutely no reason to drive 20mi after a diff fluid change. There is really no need for a lengthy test drive after any fluid change.
Yeah, needless to say, I don’t go there anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:03 AM   #14
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

They'll just disconnect the Dashcam citing GDPR, or something along those lines.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

If they left it idling for 20 minutes it could use a reasonable amount of fuel in that time, plus due to the average consumption changing due to this idling it could drop 30 miles of range.

I've had my car in for a day and it has remembered the 'trip' of me driving from home to the dealer, then them running it through the day, then me going back to pick it up and it will show the milage I've done on it plus 1 or 2, but the fuel consumption will be ~20l/100km (instead of my usual 11-12) and average speed for the day might be 15-20kmh per hour. Whereas on my way in I will have averaged 80kmh.
      01-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #16
Rukburd
Rep

No new activity on the connected app since the 14th, so assume it hasn’t moved or had anything done to it in two days. Getting rather frustrated about not having the vehicle back now, out of eight days of ownership I have had four days.
Appreciate 0