BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Closed Thread

06-30-2019, 06:47 PM   #67
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Will doing the fullscreen mod affect your warranty at all?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #68
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto2k3 View Post
If you have CarPlay activated by BMW then making it full screen should be ok for your warranty as it's not injecting any fake FSC codes. It's just changing the resolution setting in a file somewhere.

As always with coding, do it at your own risk. I've done two of our BMWs and it looks great, especially with iOS 13!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #69
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M140iGuy View Post
Quote:
If you have CarPlay activated by BMW then making it full screen should be ok for your warranty as it's not injecting any fake FSC codes. It's just changing the resolution setting in a file somewhere.

As always with coding, do it at your own risk. I've done two of our BMWs and it looks great, especially with iOS 13!
Thanks. Do you remove it prior to bringing into the dealership? Mind sending me the link you used to get it done?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #70
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Do you remove it prior to bringing into the dealership? Mind sending me the link you used to get it done?
I don't think you can easily remove it but if your phone isn't within range of your car when they are working on it they shouldn't notice it.

I used fscmap.com. Drop them a message on their live chat and they can sort you out. You need to ensure your iDrive is on a compatible version otherwise you'll need to flash NBT EVO like I had to do with mine.
      07-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #71
zend
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I purchased the unlock on eBay from fsc.carplay (link on the first page of this thread). Service was quick and communication was great. Installation was a snap.

I'm running the iOS 13 beta and now have full-screen CarPlay, including the new dashboard, on my 2019 X3 M40i. Super glad I did this.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #72
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m40i Individual 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by zend View Post
I purchased the unlock on eBay from fsc.carplay (link on the first page of this thread). Service was quick and communication was great. Installation was a snap.

I'm running the iOS 13 beta and now have full-screen CarPlay, including the new dashboard, on my 2019 X3 M40i. Super glad I did this.
Any chance you upload a picture ? I would like to see how ios13 looks in full screen. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:46 AM   #73
zend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavich View Post
Any chance you upload a picture ? I would like to see how ios13 looks in full screen. Cheers
Here are a few
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Bavich169.50
malbec10.00
Lotus99628.00
      07-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #74
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you have to use the ENET cable? I have version Q of the software which based on some eBay listings appears to require an ENET cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #75
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here are a few
Did you do the carplay activation + fullscreen or just the fullscreen code? If CarPlay currently works I think all you need is the full screen code and not activation as well, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #76
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here are a few
Do apps like Waze and Google Maps work in full screen mode as well? They don't look stretched out or anything?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #77
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

Yes, all apps use the full bounds of the display when this is enabled
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #78
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemazar View Post
Yes, all apps use the full bounds of the display when this is enabled
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #79
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone done an software update after this fullscreen patch has been installed? I have a late model m40i that requires the ENET cable. Apparently you can't uninstall the fullscreen patch once it's been installed. I'm worried about future updates either not working or screwing up the idrive system due to this patch. Anyone have any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #80
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone done an software update after this fullscreen patch has been installed? I have a late model m40i that requires the ENET cable. Apparently you can't uninstall the fullscreen patch once it's been installed. I'm worried about future updates either not working or screwing up the idrive system due to this patch. Anyone have any experience with this?
As long as you have CarPlay activated from BMW then you should be ok as the fullscreen change is just a modification to the resolution which is saved in a file somewhere.

This would be lost if BMW flash the ECU but you should be able to reload it again.

If you don't have BMW activated by BMW then an update will brick your iDrive as it will reject the hacked FSC codes that have been injected as part of the non-BMW CarPlay activation. Can be fixed with an FSC restore kit though.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #81
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
This happened to me a couple months ago. I bought the full screen CarPlay file on eBay. Brought my car in for service and they updated the software at the same time and full screen CarPlay was gone. I contacted the eBay seller and gave him the new software version. He then sent me a new file but I had to install it via esys this second time and not using a usb drive. Everything has been fine since.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #82
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got an update from fscmaps.com for full screen CarPlay. Haven't installed it yet though.

For you techies our there, any idea how the update works? I've spent a bit of time on it and it appears to download an encrypted container file from your car using the ENET cable and odb2 port. I believe the container is encrypted using the VIN number of the car. Assuming one could decrypt and mount this container would there simply be a carplay.ini file there that needs to be edited for resolution changes? I suspect that when BMW pushes an update they just overwrite the container with a new one which would explain why another fullscreen update is required. If anyone has any experience working with ECU / FSC binary files please PM me. I'm curious more than anything at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #83
Michael.R
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For you techies our there, any idea how the update works? I've spent a bit of time on it and it appears to download an encrypted container file from your car using the ENET cable and odb2 port. I believe the container is encrypted using the VIN number of the car. Assuming one could decrypt and mount this container would there simply be a carplay.ini file there that needs to be edited for resolution changes? I suspect that when BMW pushes an update they just overwrite the container with a new one which would explain why another fullscreen update is required. If anyone has any experience working with ECU / FSC binary files please PM me. I'm curious more than anything at this point.
I'm curious about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #84
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Got an update from fscmaps.com for full screen CarPlay. Haven't installed it yet though.

If you already have CarPlay from BMW and are just making it full screen, what basically happens is you are updating the resolution setting which is saved with in a file on the EVO.

If you activate CarPlay via the 3rd party method you are basically injecting fake FSC codes and tricking the system into thinking they are real. This is why there is a risk with this because FSC codes don't get overwritten when the car is updated but the rest of the software does. So when the car is updated the stock software tries to read the fake FSC codes and rejects them. Then your nav stops working, along with other FSC activated features on your EVO.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #85
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you already have CarPlay from BMW and are just making it full screen, what basically happens is you are updating the resolution setting which is saved with in a file on the EVO.

If you activate CarPlay via the 3rd party method you are basically injecting fake FSC codes and tricking the system into thinking they are real. This is why there is a risk with this because FSC codes don't get deleted when the car is updated but the rest of the software does. So when the car is updated the stock software tries to read the fake FSC codes and rejects them. Then your nav stops working, along with other FSC activated features on your EVO.
Thanks for the reply. I already have carplay so it's just a matter of fullscreen. I started getting curious how this works when I saw the ECU binary file I exported was around 98k and the .evo file I got back from fscmaps.com after sending them my ECU was about 1.3M. They have a custom application that is used to connect to the car and load the binary back called FemTOEVO. I also noticed that it had my VIN number and serial number in a header file which I assume is used either as a crypto key or some kind of checksum. I'd like to know what changes are being made to my car over just blindly loading another binary file (probably slightly too paranoid). Fscmaps does provide very good service and they seem really knowledgable. When I asked about updates they said it was completely fine to update but I'm not sure if it would persist the update.

When the update happens from BMW what is actually happening? Does it replace all of the firmware and operating system container with a new one? Where are the FSC codes stored if they persist an update?

How many people here have used fscmaps.com? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #86
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I already have carplay so it's just a matter of fullscreen. I started getting curious how this works when I saw the ECU binary file I exported was around 98k and the .evo file I got back from fscmaps.com after sending them my ECU was about 1.3M. They have a custom application that is used to connect to the car and load the binary back called FemTOEVO. I also noticed that it had my VIN number and serial number in a header file which I assume is used either as a crypto key or some kind of checksum. I'd like to know what changes are being made to my car over just blindly loading another binary file (probably slightly too paranoid). Fscmaps does provide very good service and they seem really knowledgable. When I asked about updates they said it was completely fine to update but I'm not sure if it would persist the update.

When the update happens from BMW what is actually happening? Does it replace all of the firmware and operating system container with a new one? Where are the FSC codes stored if they persist an update?

The software update flashes the ECU completely. The FSC codes are stored in eeprom so aren't touched when you flash an ECU. FSCs that were there before will still be there after the update.

Last edited by i4M50Guy; 07-12-2019 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Clarification on FSC storage location
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #87
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The software update flashes the ECU completely. I can't remember now if the FSC codes are kept in a different area that isn't impacted by the update or if the FSC codes are first backed up by Esys/ISTA and then reinjected during the update process. Either way, the FSCs that were there before will still be there after the update.
Thanks. So loading the .evo file for my case sounds like I will have no problems with updates because it's not adding any FSC codes and the whole ECU would be replaced, right? I would likely lose carplay fullscreen if this happened I suspect and would need to get another update.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #88
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. So loading the .evo file for my case sounds like I will have no problems with updates because it's not adding any FSC codes and the whole ECU would be replaced, right? I would likely lose carplay fullscreen if this happened I suspect and would need to get another update.
I'm told that's the case. The people selling these solutions will never tell you everything because if they did we could probably do these things ourselves without them.

An update would wipe out full screen CarPlay but not CarPlay itself since that's provisioned from BMW. You would just be able to re-enable full screen using the same method and file that they gave you. This is assuming BMW don't change anything to prevent this working in future updates. It's a constant game of cat and mouse.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread