BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

Hey All,

I just got my car re-tinted. After I got it re-tinted I noticed that the ambient lighting on my driver's side doesn't light up from only the top part but the bottom part lights fine. No panels were removed and what is weird is that the top part turned green and the bottom blue when both are supposed to be blue and now the top doesnt work. Does anyone have any input on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Sounds like possibly some "moisture" reached the electronics where the lights get connected to the power. (or they got disconnected accidentally)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention that they didn't remove the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma30 View Post
Hey All,

I just got my car re-tinted. After I got it re-tinted I noticed that the ambient lighting on my driver's side doesn't light up from only the top part but the bottom part lights fine. No panels were removed and what is weird is that the top part turned green and the bottom blue when both are supposed to be blue and now the top doesnt work. Does anyone have any input on this?
I don't think tint has anything to do with the ambient lighting. May be just a coincidence and the led strip could be conked off, take it to a dealership and ask them to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunay27 View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

I don't think tint has anything to do with the ambient lighting. May be just a coincidence and the led strip could be conked off, take it to a dealership and ask them to replace them.
Definitely has something to do with the tint, both X4s I've own a 19 and now a 20 had the same problem after getting the front windows tinted. My current 20 right side got messed up right after the tint, car was only a couple days old and was working perfectly before the tint. Luckily it kinda fixed itself after a couple days but I still have a couple so called hot spots on the right side upper light which I left alone due to several dealer problems I had with the same issue on my 19. I would suggest leaving it a couple days before bringing it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunay27 View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

You don't know what your talking about Bud and you shouldn't give opinions unless you've know what your talking about or had it happen to you. Peace …….
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the input guys. Much appreciated. I will give it a couple of days and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:34 AM   #8
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

It sure is odd that some people are reporting issues with the ambient light strip after tinting the front 2 windows…
But apparently not everyone is having issues…
Wonder what could be different in the tint process that creates the ambient light strip issue?
(I seriously doubt any tint shop is taking off door panels these days)

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 02:33 AM   #9
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Definitely the water from the tinting process. My driver side light strip became uneven and spotted after getting a little wet during a heavy rain storm. All I did was get in and out of the car. The next day I noticed the light strip was messed up and got it repaired under warranty. Really surprised that it couldn’t handle a little bit of water and now I keep a microfiber in the car so as not to let water linger. If you do a search you will find others with similar issues.
Appreciate 1
mathys202.50
      11-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
It sure is odd that some people are reporting issues with the ambient light strip after tinting the front 2 windows…
But apparently not everyone is having issues…
Wonder what could be different in the tint process that creates the ambient light strip issue?
(I seriously doubt any tint shop is taking off door panels these days)
You obviously don't understand how tint is applied, water and lots of it. Maybe it reaches the lighting inside the panel maybe it don't, So what's so hard to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM2020 View Post
You obviously don't understand how tint is applied, water and lots of it. Maybe it reaches the lighting inside the panel maybe it don't, So what's so hard to figure out.
You seem to be a smart ass know it all. People give their opinions on here all the time. Some are right some are wrong. That is all part of a discussion board and your just another guy with an opinion.
Appreciate 8
      11-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #12
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #13
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetime View Post
Quote:
You seem to be a smart ass know it all. People give their opinions on here all the time. Some are right some are wrong. That is all part of a discussion board and your just another guy with an opinion.
Your right and it's a fact. The guy not looking for stupid options, he's looking for answers.
Obviously you don't have the answer. That's the problem with this forum opinions are given, I'd rather see helpful answers. And I don't know it all so I come here for answers not opinions. Thanks for serving Captain.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #14
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Your right and it's a fact. The guy not looking for stupid options, he's looking for answers.
Obviously you don't have the answer. That's the problem with this forum opinions are given, I'd rather see helpful answers. And I don't know it all so I come here for answers not opinions. Thanks for serving Captain.
Ah, but Freedom2020 sometimes nobody has an answer. Like in the case of the OP. You don't know for sure why his lighting failed and neither do I. When that happens we all speculate and discuss the topic in hopes of finding the answer.

Water entering the door from tint certainly seems plausible. You had it happen twice as well as another in this thread. That's a pretty good indication that the OP's issue could be related. See, that's how we solve problems and get answers. Hopefully the OP will reply when the vehicle lighting is fixed and the next guy with the issue will see this thread and have an answer.

Last edited by ridetime; 11-05-2021 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #15
zukmeister
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

I definitely wouldn't tell them the tint story, just say it doesn't work.

I just went through 2 months of pain with my led strips as well. Mine had hot spots from the first day I bought it and it was in and out of dealership 5 different times over 2 months. A fucking nightmare.

Finally it was fixed

Last edited by zukmeister; 11-05-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
ridetime153.50
      11-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post

I just went through 2 months of pain with my led strips as well. Mine had hot spots from the first day I bought it and it was in and out of dealership 5 different times over 2 months. A fucking nightmare.

Finally it was fixed

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Same thing with mine, a nightmare that's why I'm leaving mine alone and not taking it in for some hot spots. And I agree with you although IMO is rather not hear from people with opinions unless they had it happen to them. But cmon the op takes it in for tint and gets the vehicle back with a problem, I think he's trying to find out if it happened to anyone else not for an opinion. An opinion doesn't help at least in this case.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #17
FREEDOM2020
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukmeister View Post

Finally it was fixed

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Same thing with mine, a nightmare that's why I'm leaving mine alone and not taking it in for some hot spots. And I agree with you although IMO is rather not hear from people with opinions unless they had it happen to them. But cmon the op takes it in for tint and gets the vehicle back with a problem, I think he's trying to find out if it happened to anyone else not for an opinion. An opinion doesn't help at least in this case.
I've read your WO and it's the same like mine from my first 19 that had the same issues the only fix is to replace that whole wood panel which I was told by the shop foreman just pops out from the back mine was the aluminum panel, after they replaced it it was fine. This is Fact !
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #18
Bimma30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: The ambient lighting is still doing the same thing where I have the whole car as the blue color but only the drivers side which I have the issue with has the top half green and the bottom half blue then eventually the top half fades off. Sometimes the top half just changed color on it own. I will give it another day or 2 to see if there is any improvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #19
RabnaPole
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25-X

That's a strange occurrence, and I understand why you're feeling puzzled. It could be an issue with the wiring or a fault in the lighting system. It's always best to get these things checked by a professional mechanic to make sure everything is working as it should be. In the meantime, you could reach out to the place where you got your tinting done to see if they have any insights or suggestions, or check everything about your electronics for your car for more tips. And remember to update when the issue is solved!

Last edited by RabnaPole; 02-15-2023 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:43 AM   #20
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

The shop I used to redo my front doors took off the door panels and put microfiber towels all over. They do high end cars (have done lambos/porsches/mclarens/etc) and they know better than to drown the doors in water and let it sit there.

I'd suggest you find a shop that does the same. If you cant find one, ask them to remove the panels. May charge extra but its worth it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:48 PM   #21
DBX3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Got tints done yesterday on G01 now piece of ambient lighting is stuck on green

I also got tints done yesterday and now the ambient lighting strip on the top portion is stuck on green. I have tried changing to all the different colors from idrive but it makes no difference. Sometimes all the ambient lighting turns off for no reason and only the portion that is stuck on green stays on.

What could possibly be the issue?

How much would BMW charge to fix it including parts and labor? (in Canadian dollars if possible)

Where is the light sensor that would allow the ambient lighting to be activated?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:49 PM   #22
DBX3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Top Portion of the passenger door is stuck on green*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBX3 View Post
I also got tints done yesterday and now the ambient lighting strip on the top portion is stuck on green. I have tried changing to all the different colors from idrive but it makes no difference. Sometimes all the ambient lighting turns off for no reason and only the portion that is stuck on green stays on.

What could possibly be the issue?

How much would BMW charge to fix it including parts and labor? (in Canadian dollars if possible)

Where is the light sensor that would allow the ambient lighting to be activated?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Appreciate 0