BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

im not suprised the new z4 is a pig....hardtop verts are little tanks.

the motor is great and can be made very very fast...but once you ruin handling and steering...its hard to fix
      05-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #24
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
they didnt sell many z4ms because they didnt make many.

i disagree , the z4m feels very well put together by bmw...it may be a parts bin car but its solid, light, quick, and overall a fun car
They didn't sell many because they couldn't sell many, it is very much a niche product.

I didn’t say that is wasn’t well built, it is, I agree it is fun, quick, and fast, but it isn’t very polished. You can tell that they didn’t spend E46M3 levels of dollars developing it, because it’s a niche product that will not/did not make very many sales dollars for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
They didn't sell many because they couldn't sell many, it is very much a niche product.

I didn’t say that is wasn’t well built, it is, I agree it is fun, quick, and fast, but it isn’t very polished. You can tell that they didn’t spend E46M3 levels of dollars developing it, because it’s a niche product that will not/did not make very many sales dollars for BMW.
i dont think they had to spend as much time developing this car imo....most of the parts came from the e46m3...an already well polished car.

if anything it was a vast improvement over the standard z4 and i dont just mean the motor
      05-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

People who bemoan that the Boxster is picked over any BMW have clearly never driven a Boxster. BMW doesn't build great two seaters, they never have, they probably never will (I don't need a picture of the M1, it was built by Lamborghini and still wasn't a very special car). There's a little hope for the Z2, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do like that the Z3 and Z4 M cars were more raw than the Boxster/Cayman and generally require more skill to drive as quickly, when possible, but magazines tend to tell you which is the better car, and the Porsche's are better. The new, bigger, softer, heavier and cushier Z4 is not going to do well against a lighter, more powerful Boxster/Cayman that nearly every magazine liked more than the last M Z4's.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #27
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
IMO the Z4M is not twitchy because of the steering, it is the chassis. Steering feel was improved in the Z4M, but it is not as good as it should be. To me the Z4M feels underdeveloped, it is a parts bin car. BMW decided to make an M version, so they threw the parts on from the E46 M3, but it never translated quite right IMO. Not to say that is isn’t fast or fun, it is both, it just isn’t very polished.
Amen to that. Too bad they did not do another iteration of the E86 Z4M.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #28
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
they didnt sell many z4ms because they didnt make many.
They made as many as were ordered.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

I have driven the boxter as well. It was nice, but I could never get over the look of that car. I had the impression that the new z4 would at least trump it in terms of handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #30
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I have driven the boxter as well. It was nice, but I could never get over the look of that car. I had the impression that the new z4 would at least trump it in terms of handling.
No BMW Z-anything has ever trumped the Boxster interms of handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #31
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
People who bemoan that the Boxster is picked over any BMW have clearly never driven a Boxster. BMW doesn't build great two seaters, they never have, they probably never will (I don't need a picture of the M1, it was built by Lamborghini and still wasn't a very special car). There's a little hope for the Z2, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do like that the Z3 and Z4 M cars were more raw than the Boxster/Cayman and generally require more skill to drive as quickly, when possible, but magazines tend to tell you which is the better car, and the Porsche's are better. The new, bigger, softer, heavier and cushier Z4 is not going to do well against a lighter, more powerful Boxster/Cayman that nearly every magazine liked more than the last M Z4's.
BMW isn't trying to compete with the Boxster with the new Z4. It's target is the softer, relaxed MB SLK. The new Z4 isn't going to be a track star, but a blvd looker.
Sad but true.

If you're a driving enthusiast, the Boxster is a better choice.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #32
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
BMW isn't trying to compete with the Boxster with the new Z4. It's target is the softer, relaxed MB SLK. The new Z4 isn't going to be a track star, but a blvd looker.
Sad but true.

If you're a driving enthusiast, the Boxster is a better choice.
Why did they make the 35 version so much more expensive that the SLK350 then? That is a lot of money for a car that isnt as good looking.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #33
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Not surprised.

When BMW announced pricing, it was made clear they were going after the status symbol/fashion statement/hairdresser buyer, as no real enthusiast would buy a car with such terrible bang/buck.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #34
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Not surprised.

When BMW announced pricing, it was made clear they were going after the status symbol/fashion statement/hairdresser buyer, as no real enthusiast would buy a car with such terrible bang/buck.
+1. I guess you are right on that one. 0.83g IS NOT acceptable...does not inspire confidence for any kind of spirited driving. That's worse than a FORD MUSTANG. This is smelling more like a show car/trophy wife car every time I get more data.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #35
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Loved it when it was introduced.

No more.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: everywhere

2 Woman designed it, and I think the target audience they had in mind was middle-aged men going through a mid-life crisis. They just want to show off a little by going fast in a straight line, but want soft and smooth and comfy at the same time.
      05-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #37
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
trophy wife car FTW
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #38
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay0r View Post
and ppl said the 1er was a pig

at nearly 3500lbs, whats the use of sacrificing a rear seat and cabin space if it still weighs more b/c of the damn retractable hardtop
wtf, I thought this thing would be 3100-3200 lbs!
Appreciate 0